BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Casey Family Build Thread (coupe)

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I had the skills to build a dash like that. That's the coolest dash I've seen yet!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Hell, I wish I had the skills to make something like that. I have a ton of respect for guys that can pull that off. I am intrigued by it.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike and Julie...... I liked the idea the one fellow had about rounding off the edges of the Toggle Switches. I love your build thread. I like seeing the progress. Like the vents as well. Keep it up...JJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, JJ. We have been thinking about that. Right now, they are just in there so he could drill holes. We don't even know if they are the right switches. We really wont know until the dash is painted and more details are done. But that mod is certainly on the list if it fits the bill!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    just realized... maybe we need a welcome home coupey 2 party!!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the dash. It makes me think of a production sports car in the same time frame as the coupes. The coupes were race cars so something flat and quick and easy to fab was all it got. But think about a production car the same time. They would want something that looks nice, has some style, and of course room for things like radio and heater controls. But OTOH, they were still making them out of metal and hadn't gotten to things like the molded plastic stuff we have today. So, I think a production Shelby coupe would have ended up looking much like yours. Beautiful.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Week 21:

It rained Saturday!!!! It doesn't rain here in the summer (unless we are taking a car to Jeff's for paint and there is no cover to be found anywhere). The hour or so we spent with Coupey Saturday was accompanied by the sound of raindrops. First stop, though, was to a powder coat shop that morning. I gave up on trying to pick colors online and called a local place Friday. They weren't open Saturday, but the owner lived a few miles away and offered to open the shop just for us!! Yay!!!!! I felt a little bad about that, but he assured me repeatedly it wouldn't be a problem. We arrived right on time and bounded into the place. I was hoping for lots and lots of color samples, but they didn't have many. Turns out it didn't matter because I found a couple colors I liked. I truly want something a smidge lighter, but only a smidge. Assuming I didn't lose my picture posting abilities, somewhere down below you should see a couple powder coated pipes. The black one is a matte color and it would be for the panels. The anthracite-ish one is for the frame. I'm not saying these are the final colors. Simply expressing that this is the current mental image I have stored in my brain. I was originally planning to do the frame in a bright silver, but then I started looking around and I think maybe I might possibly want a slightly darker color. Plus, I may want to use that color on the dash (paint, not powder coat). What if the gauge cluster areas were black (probably not the matte one though) and the face of the dash was anthracite? I'm not sure about the top and bottom, but maybe black as well? Man, it's so hard for me to visualize this stuff and I have no skill with photoshop. I try not to get stressed out and tell myself one color choice at a time then build on that. Anyway, the quote for the powder was much higher than expected, so we drove to another shop that a friend of ours uses. They were closed. Sad face. I called today and it sounds like that may be the place for us. We really can't do anything other than bring him the car. I offered to send pictures, but he said that wouldn't help and he needs to see it in person.

After the trip to look at colors, we went to see Martin. It's so nice of him to meet us there on the weekend. I'm sure it's not his favorite place to be. Anyway, you have seen the pictures. There isn't much to say. We took the seat so I could sit in the car. He is going to do some work on the trans tunnel and wanted to know exactly where the shifter would sit. We brought that along as well and mapped out the best spot where Mike and I could both reach it, but would be optimized for me. I can't even start to tell you what he's doing to the tunnel because he hasn't told us. I'm sure whatever it is will look amazing.

That evening, we did something very special. We met up with the amazing, talented and very friendly Russ Thompson (and incredibly sweet wife). Dinner was enjoyable with lots of great conversation. What truly wonderful people. I had not seen the build thread on his coupe until that morning. I didn't even know one existed. Holy cannoli! His car is amazing. Unfortunately, that now means I have to do a lot more work on mine than I had originally planned. Just look at the details!!!!!!!!

As for the rest of the weekend, we didn't do anything car related. We finally had a chance to go shooting last night though. Yay! It's been way too long. I tried out the new 12ga shotgun. Not for me. Even with light loads, I don't like the recoil. Never fear though. Steve has a circuit judge which he had brought along. It shoots little .410 shotgun shells. I hefted that up and took aim. "Pull" I was able to hit 3 out of probably 10 clays. I know that sounds like a terrible day shooting, but I had never ever tried to shoot skeet or even fired a shotgun before. Plus, there was a giant tarantula walking around somewhere to my left and I was trying really, really hard not to imagine it crawling up my leg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Dinner with Russ was Kick A**. Great guy and great company. Dinner went by too fast... well for me with all my questions. Probably went on WAY too long for him! LOL
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a bit funny, but with the talk about the dash not being original and looking wrong... I decided to email Peter and get his opinion on it, really just for funnies. I was really getting curious. Anyway, here is the reply...

Michael…..Jeez, my man…you’re embarrassing me! You are doing a fantastic job! Waaaay better than anything we had time to do in the original six racers. Really, all we did was 90 degree bend from top to front with all the instruments mounted flat in the face. Finish was black crackle or flat black, whatever was handy! You are doing some beautiful work. I look forward to seeing your finished car. Peter Brock
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    ^I believe that is enough to resolve the issue once and for all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant wait to see the console. Russ set the bar quite high (and has lots of results to prove it), but you guy's just might become the new standard for all coupes to be judged against. Keep up the great work.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the very kind comment, but I just hope ours can be a fraction as good as Russ's car. Not only is his attention to detail outstanding... he was the first to do a lot of those trick things. Nobody will ever be able to take that away from him. All we can do is our best and have fun doing it!!! ROCK ON!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few pics I just received from martin. Take a look at the key and headlight switch. Very trick!!! Also those interested... here is his website... http://www.langemartin.com/index.html
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked and can't find a Russ Thompson coupe build thread. Is it current or old? BTW, the console looks great!
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    Here are a few pics I just received from martin. Take a look at the key and headlight switch. Very trick!!! Also those interested... here is his website... http://www.langemartin.com/index.html
    Just one word....WOW!
    And then a few more....very nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    He may find the key switch location to be annoying. I mounted my key switch low, like that, and the keys were constantly poking me in the leg. I shortened all the keys and that helped a little. I wish I had mounted mine at least an inch higher.

The Nut

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I just looked and can't find a Russ Thompson coupe build thread. Is it current or old? BTW, the console looks great!
    I didn't know Russ Thompson had a build site until Mike discovered it the other day. His car is gorgeous! Here's the link:
    http://www.winkflash.com/photo/public.aspx?u=daytonacp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbonut48 View Post
    He may find the key switch location to be annoying. I mounted my key switch low, like that, and the keys were constantly poking me in the leg. I shortened all the keys and that helped a little. I wish I had mounted mine at least an inch higher.

The Nut
    Thanks for pointing that out. Since the car is for me and I'm pretty small, I'm hoping it won't be an issue. I won't get to see and sit in Coupey until he finishes which may or may not be this weekend. Could be early next week. Hopefully it won't be a problem. I really like the look of where it is currently.

Post Thanks / Like
    that is something I did not think about. One thing though. We don't put other keys on our roadster key chain either. Its just the key. So Julie should not have anything hanging, but if she wanted a key chain or something? Will for sure check it out though. Thanks!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    How about push button start with a hidden kill switch?

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like an old Ford flathead V8 block sitting in the background of picture #1. I learned how to drive in a '49 Ford pickup truck with a flathead and my first car was a '51 Ford with flathead V8. Ok, enough nostalgia. The dash is a winner!!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea it is. You will also see a truck in the background. Thats his personal project.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    That's one heck of a fabricator you guys found. Nice job on the dash. I can't wait to see it finished.

Hey, how about that Coupe aluminum body on his sight? Is that for you guys as well? It's only money.

Funny, just realized that it is your aluminum Coupe. Just the little version.

Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 07-26-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    yea, he made us a quarterscale version. I just actually sent it out to another friend for him to finish. He is going to make a stack injection for it on a mini running v8 I have in it. He is also going to put on hydraulic disc brakes and machine the wheels for it. Should be killer!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Really impressed with the perfectly rolled edges. The way he blended the eyebrow of the speedo/tach panel back in the dash is first rate! That console is going to be taking the whole interior over the top. You have another award winner in that car, for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, I just figured out that the way the speedo/tach panel is kind of reminds me of a late 50s Corvette, but the rest of it is like a 1962 Jag XKE. This is going to be one very sweet cockpit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got word that the coupe will be back by Thursday. Maybe weds night if we are lucky!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks really, really good Mike. I can't wait to see it!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Week 22:

Very little to report. I didn't get to visit Coupey this last weekend, but Mike finally got out in the garage and rearranged a little. I suspect he shaved about 6 months off my build time by moving the giant fan from in front of the tool box. I had to squish, duck, and/or lunge around the thing before. YAY!!!!!!

The only thing I can think to say is that Mike found some great tow hooks and ordered them. I originally wanted to have red ones, but the red they had was more of a burgundy anodized sort of look. I want fire engine red ones. The plan was to sand and powder coat, but then they arrived and are black and are really pretty and I'm not sure if I want to change them. I was supposed to take a picture and post it, but when I went out to grab them, I discovered someone removed them from the low area where I placed them and lifted them to a spot waaaaaaay above my head. Considering Steve is shorter than I am and Aly is about the same height, my money is on Mike. Grrrrrrr... I will try to have him get them to a lower position tonight so I can snap a shot and post it tomorrow.

I think that's it for the update. Awfully short. I understand from reading the above post (which I knew nothing about until I read it), Coupey may be returning home Wed or Thurs. That's exciting news. Of course that also means we have to pay for the dash. Eeeeeeeeeep!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure there will be lots of pictures of me smiling in the next few days and then probably a couple of me crying as I hand over money and then back to me smiling when I get to hug the car and visit it whenever I want. We won't be able to work on it much (if at all) this weekend since we are taking Scoopy to a car show Saturday morning and then off to watch Karen run in Fontana. Stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like
    got Julie a ladder and put it on wood blocks so she could reach her tow hooks.

Here they are!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, sorry it's taken so long for me to reply, been busy making parts! :-)

Lin and I had a great time meeting the whole Casey family, it's great seeing a family doing so much together! The dash is looking fantastic! I've seen two basic groups of folks building coupes, people like me grew up with the original and longed to build one that honered that memory, the second group is not so restricted! :-), this build falls in that category! It's certainly going to be a sweet and unique build, very cool. Keep up the great work and I hope we can get together again down the road and park the cars side by side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those tow hooks look great, but I am partial to the bright red to make them more visible if they are ever needed. See you guys Saturday at Auto Club Speedway.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, I think we need to go red. We want the outside of the car to scream "RACE CAR". Want to have people wondering why the hell that thing is on the street

See you then! Sounds like there will be a cool size group!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    almost done. Should be home tomorrow morning!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    I must ask, what is the large pipe in the second photo for?
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at the first photo it looks like it feeds an AC vent under the dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea it is. There is a second one for the passenger side that's not installed yet.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, that guy has serious skills! I really like his work. I bet you both will be happy to have it home again.:-)

Post Thanks / Like
    its back!!!!!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    NICE - Is that your center console exhaust? :}

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast