Thread: Vman's '33 Hot Rod Design Ideas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going 'All the Way'..............

Cut and Paste, Cut and Paste!!!

Hi MT-ED,
    " I can imagine a half-height front one might look even better. "

Sorta look like Shark Gills, don't they?

I can't remember who suggested that these could also have been glassed in with the open edge being on the 'inside' and flush at the trailing edge. If I had it to do again, I'd certainly tape the cutouts in that way to see how it would look. That idea hadn't occurred to me at the time.

The big vent is 6" x 16" x 1" opening. That provides ~32 sq in of opening total with both panels. Double the vents and double the breathing.

I did it as a parallelogram to match the rear line of the side panel. It could have been a rectangle or ??? but I liked this shape with that existing line. You just have to remember to put it forward enough on the panel to make sure you clear the firewall for full vent effectiveness.

Best regards, Tom
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 07-23-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veale View Post
    Cut and Paste, Cut and Paste!!!

Sorta look like Shark Gills, don't they?

I attempted to create this in reverse with the louver opening "in" instead of 'out.' but couldn't see how to do it easily.

Best regards, Tom
    lol @ cut and paste and shark gills

Glad you mentioned about going inward instead of outward. I know as you go more fwd that the chassis is not in the way, but is the chassis in the way aft wise for doing vents that go inward?

David

Post Thanks / Like
    David, The fire wall is vertical and is forward on the side panel just about to where the top of my vent starts. If the vent were back further and canted out like mine, it would probably still vent, but not as effectively, but it would fit. You'd see the side of the firewall through the vent, however.

If they were installed with the leading edge inside and trailing flush with the panel, then the rearward most vent would have to be as far forward as mine to fit without interference with the firewall. There's more than an inch of clearance between the side panel and the frame tubes on the inside to make it work reversed from mine.

Best regards, TV
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 07-23-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's one last cut and paste with a full, 3/4 and 1/2 size vent.........................

TV