FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget GTM build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Budget GTM build thread

Disclaimer....Don't be mislead by this "budget" project of mine. It has take lots and lots of planning and I also have the ability to financially cover unseen costs even if the cost is 100% more than planned. The GTM is not an inexpensive build!! This build log is not meant to confuse people into the false hope of building something they can not afford. With proper planning (building bare bones) FFR's notion of a 35K-40K GTM "might" be be realized. But until I am done and the last bolt is fastened I can make no claim that sub 40K is possible. Remember most of the cars are in excess of 60K to build without counting labor. When comparing values, this build should not be used as a comparative of true value. I am using a second hand kit, a 5.3 engine, a short nose trans and I have researched/planned cut cutting strategies for nearly two years. By no means am I building a "cheap" GTM, I am just cutting expense on some of the nicer things many of the builders are putting into their cars. Just as one can buy a new C6 for 50K or ZR1 for 110K, here too, there are many levels of GTM's.

I will keep copious notes and spread sheets. When I am done, hopefully there will be a road map for other budget builders to follow.

I am aiming to build a $30,000 GTM (materials only no labor).

I purchased my kit second hand but if my figures are correct for roughly $7000.00 more than my target budget, a Gen2 can be completed including the factory A/C. So here is the game plan....I am using a 2005 aluminum 5.3 L33 (I hear those snickers) that I purchased locally with everything needed for $750.00. This motor comes stock with the 243 heads. I have purchased a 216/220 exh .525/.532 cam w/918 springs for $257.00 nearly new. So all said and done I have a 2005 29K motor with 243 heads, small cam (about 40whp increase), 2005 (newer) electronics and around 370-380 na hp for just over $1000.00. I will also be running a MP70 turbo with a dual switch 6/12psi boosting output to 500@6psi or 650@12psi. I purchased a 2003 donor and parted it out, I swapped all of the drive accs and the oil pan over before selling the LS1, the buyer was fine with it since he was putting the motor in a gen3 Camaro. From the sale of the un-needed donor parts I have not only gotten all the GTM parts for nothing, I have also made enough profit to cover the full cost of both the transaxcle and the engine completely as well as roughly half the cost of the used GTM kit. I purchased the spare trans from Richard owner of PDG GTM as a race prep'ed box that was no longer needed when they converted over to Mendeola. The GTM kit was purchased second hand off ebay for $15,000 with lots and lots of new extras. Do to work restraints I have hired Mike Everson to complete the go-kart with me, his labor is not included in my sub 30K target.

I will be going two tone paint...(done right) using Dupont Chroma-Premier Copper pearl with M/B graphite roof and stripe. The same guy that painted Haya's car and Joe Mush's (Jonh Leflame) will be doing mine (awesome price too).

So here goes...............
    Last edited by Kalstar; 09-29-2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added new info

Post Thanks / Like
    Next was to dismantle the Vette, sell what I did not need, recondition the parts I did. I made over 10K parting out the Vette. Here is a pic of the beginning of putting on the tin panels (light and strong) drilled and rivited into the frame rails. Modified and installed the Corvette telecoptic steering shaft/column. Brake masters are in, in the pic fans are justing sitting there and the steering rack in place but not bolted up. Mike Everson was instrumental to this project so a big thank you to him. I have pics of the Vette tear down, but they are boring.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kalstar; 09-29-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Next was to find a donor. I purchased a lightly hit but totaled 2004 with the right options, some parts are worth more when selling off the unneeded donor parts. Best to find a stick, with good bags and good headlights, black interior is good too. I purchased it from copart.com, shipped to my door for $5625.

Second and Third pic is how the GTM looked when I picked her up.
    Last edited by Kalstar; 09-29-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Koni's, custom sway bar and masters. Brake and clutch lines are in and bleed and A/C is installed. I ground off the "Corvette" lettering on the calipers and went with aftermarket rotors. The standard Vette brakes are plenty in the stopping dept and the aftermarket rotors were purchased on Corvette Forum for $143 for all 4.
    Last edited by Kalstar; 09-29-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good reads........

Saving money on the GTM build..........
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209915

My donor sell off spread-sheet.............
    https://spreadsheets1.google.com/ccc...CJKy9sIF#gid=0

My GTM build spead-sheet..........
    https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc...PA&hl=en#gid=0
    Last edited by Kalstar; 03-07-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

My name is Justin Thompson and i am excited to see how your process on the car is going. I wish you the best of luck reaching your mark and not going over too much. I also wanted to ask if you knew anybody that has the time and experience to build me a GTM. I live in Amarillo texas and am willing to spend 57k to jump in one completed. If you have any ideas please let me know. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Justin, at $57k you are probably asking someone to work for about $5 an hour! These cars can be built for significantly less than your $57k number, but what isn't factored in is the labor.

I would point you to Shane for a real world estimate of what having one built "right" would cost you, but the other thing you might want to consider is looking in the classifieds. With hundreds of these cars out there now, a couple are usually always for sale.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by justinat711 View Post
    Hello,

My name is Justin Thompson and i am excited to see how your process on the car is going. I wish you the best of luck reaching your mark and not going over too much. I also wanted to ask if you knew anybody that has the time and experience to build me a GTM. I live in Amarillo texas and am willing to spend 57k to jump in one completed. If you have any ideas please let me know. thanks
    Thank you for your well wishes.

I agree with crash, there are several beautiful cars for sale right now. Reasonable entry cost and instant gratification. I am in New England, I can think of a few people back here that would tackle your 57K build but have no idea about TX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to the body shop today to see how things are going and to drop off some parts. Thomas"142 did a Real Carbon Fiber wing that looks awesome. That guy is an artist. Here are some updated photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!
    Nice toys by the way!
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    It's looking good Jim. How close are you to paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Less than 30 days to color. The paint guy (John) is going crazy as I keep throwing different things at him. Should already be in paint if it was not for my changes. And if anyone is wondering...Yes I am...still on budget!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lookin' real good! Pretty amazing that you haven't fallen victim the the dreaded upgrade bug!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Jim

Right on schedule.

On time and on budget. Not too shabby

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    That upgrade bug has been bitting me too. Just trying to keep it in check though. I am about $4500 in "real" extras and over $5000.00 if I include upgraded parts. Shane and Thomas have stolen my innocence.

Thx John & Joe, shooting to have it done for the high speed, even if they do limit the speeds greatly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates? I'm curious about the final cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the sale of the donor parts I will without question be under 30k. The car is almost in paint, then to the interior. I will be helping Joe Mush with his interior and he offered to help me. This community we have is awesome. I am on track and on budget. I have about 6k in extras that a true basic build could do without. I pinch evey penny so my results are not typical, but I am proving it can be done. My spread sheet is current and upto date. So one can track if they would like.

I feel like Crash...... basically every panel has been cut or modified. Nose, hatch, wing, intakes, doors, vents and scoops have all been modified, added or some how changed.
    Last edited by Kalstar; 04-01-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I suck! I never updated this thread, I will start adding pics and such. Car has been finished for 2 years.......and yes I met my cost goal.

The little engine that could. As many know we built my GTM using a 5.3 L33 engine. Several fellow forum members have been in or driven my GTM (Kempo, Presto51, Mike) and will confirm how quick it is. (roughly 420 crank hp with only a baby cam). The engine was purchased with 29k for $750.00. Well this weekend coming back from a car show the oil presure gauge was reading nearly no pressure. Having run the engine for nearly an hour when we first installed the engine (wrong gasket lead to suck air not oil) the coolant system was burped with not a drop of oil flowing. Having put on about 3000 miles I figured the worst and decided to locate the same engine for a swap. For $300.00 I found the same engine (long block) with 83k miles running strong. Many bone yards are not aware of this engine and sell it as a run of the mill 5.3. The heads alone are worth $350 (L33 comes with 799 or 243 Z06 heads). Look for 05-07 4x4 short bed Silverado or GMC with a B in the vin. This engine was the test bed for the new to be introduced LS3. They are all aluminum, coated pistons, floating pin and respond very well to mods. Anyway.....back to the story. Turns out the oil issue was a sending unit issue as a NAPA mechanical gauge is reading 28 at idle and 40 at 3000rpm. Soooooo.... The new engine is being prepped for GTM service. Machine shop is punching her out to a 383 stoker. Local engine builder is allowing me to work beside him to build the engine. New Keith black forged pistons, king bearings, Scat crank, h-rods and the 243 heads are getting sent to AI for porting. I will reuse my LS6 intake (when on low boost). New injectors are already here. The engine is being built for a Precision 88 turbo. I have hired a local fab guy for $1500 to fab what we need for the turbo and assist in the instal (everyone seems to want their name on a GTM). So at the end of the day for roughly $7,500 installed I will have a new turbo mill (detuned) to about 700hp with the ability to pass 1000hp. The little 5.3 will become a monster, watch for the build thread this winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet! Lemons to lemonade!

Looking forward to following the upgrade.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy Thread Resuscitation Batman I’ve never seen an OP bring their own dead thread back to life

Look forward to the new engine build this winter.

700hp??? WOW she’s going to cook for you Jim

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    1000 hp under the cost of a crate motor. That's pretty fancy.

Even 700hp for normal driving is very nice.

You will have a budget GTM, but I have a feeling you are going to blow the money saved on rear tires.
    Last edited by kabacj; 09-25-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    That is going to be a monster with that HP and still on a budget.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DGmnrbyaVg

Here is a 383 LS with a P88.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does this mean you have given up on the 818? Just kidding.LOL. Sounds like a awesome engine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hell no. The 818 you are doing for me will be my track car. Your just so fast. Half the fun is collecting the custom parts. You are a gifted builder my friend. And yes we are taking car of your baby. Just got a coat of fresh wax last night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice upgrade, I look forward to watching for updates, with pics.

Are you scared, that's a lot of power. And by the way, being scared is a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    The car still scares me now, but mo is betta.

Though the trans might not share that sentiment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kempo sent me a link today of a 4.8 being tested to see where the killing point is. They ran it up to 1200hp and they still could not break it. The article says that 60 dyno pulls were made with half over the 1000hp mark. The only reason they stopped was because the turbos were blowing out the spark. Junk yard engine with original bearings and rings and even a large rust spot in cylinder 8. Only changes were the turbos, blower cam, fast intake/TB and a valve job. Everything else was boneyard fresh. Crazy!

Post Thanks / Like
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I knew one way or another, that turbo wouldn't sit on the shelf long. You know, now you need upgrade axles, trans, clutch, wider wheels/tires on the back... You can do a new thread, How to blow your budget build! I'm looking forward to seeing the new setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    i knew one way or another, that turbo wouldn't sit on the shelf long. You know, now you need upgrade axles, trans, clutch, wider wheels/tires on the back... You can do a new thread, how to blow your budget build! I'm looking forward to seeing the new setup.
    lol

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's incredible!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew one way or another, that turbo wouldn't sit on the shelf long. You know, now you need upgrade axles, trans, clutch, wider wheels/tires on the back... You can do a new thread, How to blow your budget build! I'm looking forward to seeing the new setup.
    Where is the like button??

Clutch and CVs are good (thx Crash). Trans is the weak link. Case and point....I was in there the other day installing a manual oil gauge and I noticed the bolts on the (driver's side) side plate had worked themselves loose, I could turn them off with a twist of the wrist. If pushing the car hard at 350whp is working nuts out, wait until it is double that. The trans was race preped by Ron at PDG with only 23K original miles but I feel it's life is about to change for the worst. As for tires..... Tires are cheap to upgrade.

I will start with low boost 8 or so then work up. There was a builder on here a few years back that ran a turbo threw his G50-20 (weaker then my set up) and was pushing 15psi and as of the last time he posted he had not popped the tranny.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've decided to do a 383 stroker l33 myself. I've been looking locally for a l33, but I've only found iron blocks so far. I'm going normally aspirated but I'll probably do TFS heads, looking to get 500+hp. With the low entry cost of a junkyard 5.3, why not have forged/h-beam bottom end vs. the ls3 crate I was looking at?. Do you know how many cfms the ported factory castings flow? I may do a set of ported stock heads instead of the TFS if I can get to 500hp.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've decided to do a 383 stroker l33 myself. I've been looking locally for a l33, but I've only found iron blocks so far. I'm going normally aspirated but I'll probably do TFS heads, looking to get 500+hp. With the low entry cost of a junkyard 5.3, why not have forged/h-beam bottom end vs. the ls3 crate I was looking at?. Do you know how many cfms the ported factory castings flow? I may do a set of ported stock heads instead of the TFS if I can get to 500hp.
    The L33 comes with 799 or 243 heads flow good for 280ish. Are you looking for 500 crank or wheel? 500 crank is easy as pie, port the heads and larger cam, done. I am turning 420 with stock everything except a baby cam Do you want me to keep an eye out for a L33. I just bought a spare one for $300.00.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, and thanks for the offer. I'll just keep looking locally, I'm sure I'll find one soon. I'm looking for 500hp at the crank, so it sounds like it's not a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    So to bring the tread current I will be post progression pics and statements this evening, car has been done for about 2 years but I felt it important to complete the thread for other budget builders that follow. It is actually good that the thread is being done like this, lots of added points I could not have known till after the build was done.
    Last edited by Kalstar; 09-29-2014 at 07:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    On to the body..... I made no less than 14 body mods. The largest is making it a wide body to get more air into the engine bay. Added a functioning roof scoop, added direct air intakes via napa ducts to feed the cold air for the turbo. Added additional vents in rear and vented diffuser to allow air to escape below. Also added a fully custom carbon fiber wing and front splitter. The paint color will be Viper Copperhead with a Carbon Ash roof (to match with the carbon fiber). Seams are cut and the bodywork is just beginning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had parts from Shane from Raptor Speed Works that i purchase off our forum (seller sold at a discount because they went a different direction). The mesh that comes with the kit is just too restrictive. Here is a few picks of them painted. The dusty vents are in the difuser and will remain satin black to match the carbon fiber diffuser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Next step was to make it a wide body. Pushing it out a few inches in the back made for all kind of trouble. Look how badly it screwed up the front wheel wells.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast