Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Diff vs Helical

Post Thanks / Like
    My Quaife was very nicely finished with their logo lasered into the side. I have pretty extensive background with precision machining and the Quaife is very well machined. It did come in an ugly plain cardboard box tho LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Lsd

Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    The link I posted explains why they need to be rebuilt. They are so cheap because they are a Chinese made forgery of the Quaife unit and therefore do not have to recoup engineering testing or development costs.

the quality control on the Quaife is better and comes with a warranty, you are paying for that as well.
    How about the Tomioka brand helical gear type limited slip? Any experience with it? Costs about $850.

Post Thanks / Like
    All I know is for about a grand you get a lifetime warranty with the Quaife, I have tons of friends that swear by them... That Tomioka looks like a quality piece in the photos

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If your going to spend the money on a subaru tranny and get the best quality and durability street or track it goes 1. Cusco, 2. Sti gruppe N 3. Quafie and all others are no were near the three. I have used all and I like the cusco the best, but the others are spot on as well.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Autotech took the part down, bummer!
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Autotech took the part down, bummer!
    Yup, got an e-mail saying my order wasn't processed. Any other places would good prices on these?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    If your going to spend the money on a subaru tranny and get the best quality and durability street or track it goes 1. Cusco, 2. Sti gruppe N 3. Quafie and all others are no were near the three. I have used all and I like the cusco the best, but the others are spot on as well.
    Interesting, I can get the Cusco here for a decent price ($800), it's the Cusco Type RS Spec-F. One of the reasons that I want the factory LSD is because I've had pretty bad experiences with aftermarket LSD's in used-cars that I have purchased. They have functioned well, but they also are very clunky, noisy, and I just don't like the feel and sound in low speed situations like parking lots. Is this about the same as the experience with the Cusco LSD as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps they sold out!
    if $ is a big concern buy an OBX and rebuild, Erik has a great tutorial on this forum. No lifetime waranty but about $500 will get you an OBX with the parts needed to "fix" its shortcomings... The Sube forums indicate that they will hold up if the springs and bolts are replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any aftermarket front differentials that are quiet? Or are they all noisy?

How about the OBX? I've dealt with noisy diffs before and it's annoying. I'm not building a track car, so I want something quiet. I'd honestly rather go open diff than have a noisy diff.
    Last edited by bnr32jason; 04-20-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    the OBX, quaife are both quiet gear type diffs.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh ok, thanks for the information. I'm still pretty new to this stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12