Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Lucky's 33 Hot Rod build #524

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

First Start

About 2 weeks ago I thought I had everything done to complete the first start, I went through my check list - PCM mounted & connected, power distribution box wired & mounted, battery installed, ignition switch wired, enough of the wiring harness completed to accomplish the start, I even mounted the stock mustang airbox & MAF sensor (even though it stuck out way past the side of the engine bay) So, I turn on the key, I see the PCM green light come on, I here the fuel pump running, check the pressure - it was at 60 so i adj. back to 55 psi. turn the key to start, it starts turning the engine over which means the PCM likes what he sees after checking the sensors, etc. but it was to no avail, no-start, it just kept cranking & cranking. The next day I called Ford Racing tech support, they had me run a separate ground wire from the PCM all the way to the negative side of the battery, had me check the voltage on the fuel injectors, it checked 12 v like it should, then they had me get some NOID lights and connect them to the injectors (basically they check that the injectors are getting a ground to the other side), this test failed; they suggested I get a new crank trigger sensor which I did, replaced it and still no start! Ford Racing sent me a wiring diagram-pin out of the engine harness (the problem was that the injectors were not getting a ground from the PCM - each injector is grounded at the correct time in the intake stroke so the plug can fire the fuel charge but none of my injectors were getting the ground from the PCM, this sequence is supposed to be kicked off by the crank sensor detecting the engine is turning over. So I started removing connectors & wiring sheaths to ohm out the individual wires. To save you the boredom of the details, I found 7 broken wires in the harness from the engine to the PCM, I soldered them back together and heat shrinked them & wrapped them back into the bundle. After that I reconnected the PCM, etc. and the next time I hit the start, It FIRED RIGHT UP! What a relief. (This is a used engine/transmission & apparently whoever deinstalled it used a crow bar to disconnect the PCM) Note: this whole process took about a week to complete, so this has to be the longest first start in history!

Pictures attached & link below to shaky video:
    https://youtu.be/sGlFn5f8sJo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by H R Lucky; 06-02-2015 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels