Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Carl's Mk 4 Roadster Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Carl,

I like your throttle pedal mod. I'll have to copy that one.

Thanks,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like

Passenger Side Foot Box

While out on travel, my new sheet metal arrived to finish the outside and inside panels for the PS foot box expansion. This time I read the templates, measured and marked times 3 to make sure I did not screw it up ... and it sort of worked.

Lessons Learned: There is clearly variations between the FFR Marks but there are also some variations between individual frames (which could occur for a variety of reasons). These include weld beads, some undocumented changes in the frame, tolerances at extremes and last but not least some changes in geometry due to the welding process.

I was using templates applicable to the Mk IV but they clearly were not exactly applicable to my Mk IV.

Here are the results in progress:

The custom changes made ... in part to save ordering and waiting for another sheet of aluminum T6 6061.Instead of outside panel as called for in the templates, I modified it to have a top. After fabricating the panel per the template the mating with the top of the foot box just was not working.

I also overlapped the panels from the top down to reeducate the chances of leakage from the top of the foot box specially in the area between the body and the outside panel.

I also decided to clean up the edges of the overlapped panels so that they are smoother transitions ...

I personally like the look ...

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart