BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: No top? No H6? No Deal...?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm cool with the news, sign me up.

60 31.09%
  • No top? No thanks, that's a deal-breaker

125 64.77%
  • No room for an H6? Meh, I'm not sure now.

8 4.15%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does no top and/or no H6 support break the deal for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe what you are looking for is a Fino...Strip the car down to space frame, sandblast and repaint the frame. Bolt the car back together. Bolt on the new body. And have a neat car. Though not fast it is a nice car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyLynx View Post
    Maybe what you are looking for is a Fino...Strip the car down to space frame, sandblast and repaint the frame. Bolt the car back together. Bolt on the new body. And have a neat car. Though not fast it is a nice car.
    Unless of course, you also opt for the small block V8 Chevy conversion kit, replacing the Fiero engine. Then it will also be fast. I wonder how good the quality control on the body is......... At 5K, the pretty much bolt-on body kit certainly doesn't cost very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mekeys View Post
    Any kit car that I build will have to have an automatic transmisson,, top and windows and A/C..I want to be able to drive any time any where..I live in Southwest Louisiana,it rains a lot and it gets hot and humid..I would like to drive in comfort..
    Building the car is my favorite part and I do agree with you about a certain amount of creature comforts for me also
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miznitic View Post
    Then buy a bloody toyota Camry.
    I think that was uncalled for, Being able to build the car any way you want is part of the fun. Anyone can just buy a car.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2KWIK4U View Post
    I think that was uncalled for, Being able to build the car any way you want is part of the fun. Anyone can just buy a car.
    that's his one and only post, I think we can dismiss trollboys opinion on this one
    anyone that's read this forum knows this will be a multipurpose design - a swatch watch if you will
    this is America dammit, build your car any way you want
    you may leave people scratching their heads as to why, but as long as you like it, who cares?
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I didn't know the Camry was a kit car?

MK

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2KWIK4U View Post
    Thats part of building a kit car. Build it the way you want, add whatever you want, but understand that as with any project car there will be compromises. The ultimate outcome is dependent upon builder skill. Demanding such things from the manufacturer when the price point is so low, is rather silly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats part of building a kit car. Build it the way you want, add whatever you want, but understand that as with any project car there will be compromises. The ultimate outcome is dependent upon builder skill. Demanding such things from the manufacturer when the price point is so low, is rather silly.
    and your initial comment was out of line

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    and your initial comment was out of line
    So sorry you're easily offended.

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry you're easily offended.
    hardly

if you had bothered to read some of this forum
    you'd have seen all the things mekeys mentioned wanting to put in his build
    have been discussed in several threads and are all real possibilties to be
    included in an 818 build

in stead of offerering any useful advice, like in your second post, you told him to "go buy a Camry"
    again I see it as being out of line, especially it being your first post here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Let's move on, shall we?

Not everyone who joins the forum reads all of the back posts before posting, so new guys will occasionally make posts that others will see as ignorant (another word for "uninformed"...). Our role as veteran members of the site are to help these folks along. I've pounced on a first post myself, so it's something we all need to work on and remind ourselves of from time to time...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    And lets remember this particular thread is really old and about the top or no top debate LONG before the design contest even started. Arguing about camry's or whatever is particularly irrelevant.

Thanks for voting though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyLynx View Post
    Maybe what you are looking for is a Fino...
    At least from this thread update I learned what a "Fino" is by doing a Google search on the term.

They vary from a pint sized GT-40 to an open top, to something a even little odder in my opinion. Odder, is that a word?

V-8 Archie -- Pontiac Fiero V-8 Kits and Kit Cars

A totally accurate Mark I body mounted to a specially modified Fiero chassis
    V-8 Archie -- Pontiac Fiero V-8 Kits and Kit Cars

Of note is that when you remove the roof from the Fiero chassis, you will need to reinforce the chassis for stiffness.
    Fino
    http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mekeys View Post
    Any kit car that I build will have to have an automatic transmisson,, top and windows and A/C..I want to be able to drive any time any where..I live in Southwest Louisiana,it rains a lot and it gets hot and humid..I would like to drive in comfort..
    Assuming that FFR makes available a top and window system on at least one of the 818 variations - and it's a safe bet that they will -- It occurs to me that due to the use of the donor car concept, all of the things one may want -- Auto Trans, A/C, heating system, a stereo -- will almost certainly be achievable, even if FFR doesn't provide support for them. All of these things would (or could) already be present on the donor car. If unsupported, the tricky part might be plumbing heating and cooling vents into the passenger compartment. Or setting up a linkage for an automatic transmission. But I'm betting these things can be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My guess is that you are right about the A/C Etc..However in the street rod world there are power windows and A/C units that look like they would be easy to adapt to any kit car..

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that Factory Five is spot-on for originally releasing the 818 as a roadster. The roadster will be the easiest to design for the weight and cost goals. However, I think they ABSOLUTELY NEED to design it to accept a hard and soft top. They don't need to release the tops initially or ever include it in a base kit but they need to have the foresight to realize that many, even most customers will want a top at some point (whether for rain protection or aerodynamics). Designing it to accept a hard/soft top initially will save them the "oh crap" moment when they try to throw together a soft/hard top that doesn't fit the car (a la Mk4). Factory Five has a chance to fill a niche for a simple and affordable targa/roadster available to the masses and I don't want them to screw themselves in the long run. A modular design will allow them to expand their market and recognition with the eco-818 as well. I guess my dream would be switching bodies within a few hours/Saturday afternoon and have a completely new car from week to week. Hardtop eco-coupe body for the rainy weeks and sexy roadster for the nice summer days.

Post Thanks / Like
    top or no sale. Of course, it can be extra but it definitely cannot be a loose, ragtop, add-on pos. it has to be designed in.
    I used to have a 914 and I have always wanted to get another until I saw this project come up. I live in CA most of the time, so I *could* drive it anyway, but the sun is a little much. I have a huge sunroof on my car that is left closed due to sun intensity.
    I have always wondered what all the fuss about convertibles was. Lots of people have them in LA but I usually don't see the tops down, except at night.

Post Thanks / Like
    And I also think that it NEEDS both a soft and hard top - a soft top (storable in the car) for emergencies and a hard-top for storing in a garage. Sorry to ramble, just trying to give my 2c

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just to remind everyone who hasn't read or searched - Dave has stated that there will be a top. Beyond that, we don't know anything about it, and it will likely depend on the body design.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read that it would have a top...i'm just worried that it'll be a total afterthought like the Cobra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Doom View Post
    I read that it would have a top...i'm just worried that it'll be a total afterthought like the Cobra.
    This has been discussed to death in other threads (and in this one). The benefits of designing in the top now, even if its not built till later, etc. I think I share most of your concerns, and these have been voiced here repeatedly, and Dave has heard us. I think they know and fully understand everyones desires.

The plan now is they are working on clay models of their 3 designs (Roadster, Coupe & Track), and they have said they'll show them to us, and let us weigh in with our thoughts. Can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    The plan now is they are working on clay models of their 3 designs (Roadster, Coupe & Track), and they have said they'll show them to us, and let us weigh in with our thoughts. Can't wait.
    I know they were working on several clay models, I don't recall if they were all for the initial Roadster or if they were for all three designs. I'd have to search to find the answer, anyone remember (and can cite) what the verdict might be? Knowing that the contest winners are not necessarily getting clay'd and that some other designs are, I'd hope/assume (because I have faith in FFR and RISD doing the right thing) that they're making several candidates for the initial body. Better to have a few designs to choose from in 3D than build "the best" paper drawing in 3D and decide it sucks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeerbaron View Post
    I know they were working on several clay models, I don't recall if they were all for the initial Roadster or if they were for all three designs. I'd have to search to find the answer, anyone remember (and can cite) what the verdict might be? Knowing that the contest winners are not necessarily getting clay'd and that some other designs are, I'd hope/assume (because I have faith in FFR and RISD doing the right thing) that they're making several candidates for the initial body. Better to have a few designs to choose from in 3D than build "the best" paper drawing in 3D and decide it sucks...
    Beerbaron: This may be what you were looking for. The quote below is taken from Post #8 by Dave Smith in the 818 Updates Thread:

"The next big stage/challenge is where we are right now. While there are a thousand smaller challenges (like the name of the car which you guys have done an exceptional job with!), the real big next stage is to select and make the body shape for the first car. The first car will HAVE to be the value priced roadster body as a build-it-yourself $9,900 kit with a completion target cost of sub $15,000. THESE ARE NOT FAIRY TALE PREDICTIONS, BUT RATHER SERIOUS AND WELL-CONSIDERED NUMBERS. Still, with 16 design winners and maybe 100 great designs, we need to see the cars in some real form before thinking that a concept car/drawing will translate perfectly into full size.

This next stage is BODY DESIGN. We will probably launch one car first and then follow up that launch with the other two models. Still there is no reason NOT to select the body shapes for all three distinct models based on 1/4 scale models. That is where we are now.

We are currently working on building the scale models and then will bring them to you guys here on-line for open debate. There is no path for all three cars that inlcudes a timeline.
    "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool. Not sure if he just means they'll use 1/4 scale models for all bodies in the future, or if they plan to use these scale models for all bodies. No statement of how many models are being built. Anyhow, Dave knows the answer but is too swamped to clear it up. I still believe from my chats at the open house that there will be multiple models per body style. We'll see the models soon enough.

Thanks for clearing this up. (as best it can be without Dave).

Post Thanks / Like
    Beerbaron I asked that question and never got an answer as to how many designs they were doing initially or for what car(s). If I remember right (and I may not) Dave did say they were doing 4 clay models. Of what I don't know.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    Beerbaron I asked that question and never got an answer as to how many designs they were doing initially or for what car(s). If I remember right (and I may not) Dave did say they were doing 4 clay models. Of what I don't know.
    Taken from The 818 Updates Thread, Post #11, by Dave Smith:

"The only scale models I will admit to is Xabiers car (3rd place) and the winner as hardtop (but there are currently 4). Still, IF we can refine the modeling process we will have more designs that we can build at smaller scale to put to you guys for opinions. Regardless of the number and designs (vintage replica or original designs x 3) the process will then go to surface scanning, scaling and milling the final body in full size, thereby greatly accclerating the body/molding timetable. 2012 is still within reach, but we will NOT make a date prediction that we don't have planning, capability, or resources to meet."

My personal speculation is that one of the four cars being done is Xabier's 818-R the Track Car, and that the other three are the First and Second Place winners PLUS Xabier's Street Version. However, that is PURE speculation on my part, possibly influenced by wishful thinking. OLPRO: Does that count as giddy teenage schoolgirl whining?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    My personal speculation is that one of the four cars being done is Xabier's 818-R the Track Car, and that the other three are the First and Second Place winners PLUS Xabier's Street Version. However, that is PURE speculation on my part, possibly influenced by wishful thinking.
    Given some off-hand remarks at the Open House and general feel of things, my guess is that the two cars named are the only ones from the top three. I'm so-so on whether they did any more award winners or not. I think I've mentioned it before, but my gut sense is that the contest winners and the top body designs are two different things.

Thanks for finding those details!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeerbaron View Post
    Given some off-hand remarks at the Open House and general feel of things, my guess is that the two cars named are the only ones from the top three. I'm so-so on whether they did any more award winners or not. I think I've mentioned it before, but my gut sense is that the contest winners and the top body designs are two different things.

Thanks for finding those details!
    I can't resist throwing in one last tidbit from Dave Smith, taken from Post #29 from the "Updates?" thread started by GUNS (Dave subsequently started his own Updates thread):

“There were a ton of amazing designs. Xabiers track model 818R has been BURNED in my mind as the car I personally want to build and terrorize corvettes with on the track... Still, the street version is very pretty as well ………."

I guess we can make what we want of that. Poor Dave. Everything he says will get turned upside down, inside out, placed under a microscope and then transformed into stubborn rumor. Sure is fun, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could be wrong, but in my mind work being done involves...........

1. First place winner is being turned into a hardtop coupe.

2. X's 3rd place winner is being mocked up "as is", and Dave loves the track version.

I think a 3rd scheme was hinted at, but I forget now what it was.

No word on the 4th scheme, I suspect this is an in-house design outside of competition influences - at least this is what I would do.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Doom View Post
    I think that Factory Five is spot-on for originally releasing the 818 as a roadster. The roadster will be the easiest to design for the weight and cost goals. However, I think they ABSOLUTELY NEED to design it to accept a hard and soft top. They don't need to release the tops initially or ever include it in a base kit but they need to have the foresight to realize that many, even most customers will want a top at some point (whether for rain protection or aerodynamics). Designing it to accept a hard/soft top initially will save them the "oh crap" moment when they try to throw together a soft/hard top that doesn't fit the car (a la Mk4). Factory Five has a chance to fill a niche for a simple and affordable targa/roadster available to the masses and I don't want them to screw themselves in the long run. A modular design will allow them to expand their market and recognition with the eco-818 as well. I guess my dream would be switching bodies within a few hours/Saturday afternoon and have a completely new car from week to week. Hardtop eco-coupe body for the rainy weeks and sexy roadster for the nice summer days.
    My thoughts exactly, I would love to be able to swap bodies depending on the weather!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    I could be wrong, but in my mind work being done involves...........

1. First place winner is being turned into a hardtop coupe.

2. X's 3rd place winner is being mocked up "as is", and Dave loves the track version.

I think a 3rd scheme was hinted at, but I forget now what it was.

No word on the 4th scheme, I suspect this is an in-house design outside of competition influences - at least this is what I would do.
    I think that's a pretty good summary.

Dave Smith has pretty much said that a 1/4 scale model based on the winner's car is being prepared in a hardtop version. I wonder if that will be a hardtop in the strictest sense of the word, or a removable targa-type top.

Dave has also admitted to preparing a version of Xabier's car -- almost certainly the track version.

I have looked through all the posts, but haven't picked up any hints on the third scheme either, or the fourth. But your speculation that one of them may be an in-house FFR design is fascinating. Makes sense to me.......

Like most people on this forum, I have my clear favorite(s), based on designs that I have seen, though I don't really know if my favorites will even be among those selected for production at the end of the day. One thing is clear -- given the fact that there will be at least three designs to choose from (and potentially, variations available within the three), it is about a lead-pipe cinch that at least one of them will be attractive enough to me that I will want to build it. The real problem may turn out to be choosing which one to build!

To be safe, I will not start shopping in earnest for my donor car until the choices become clearer. But I absolutely believe that I WILL be shopping......... Can't wait for the unveiling of the 1/4 scale models.
    Last edited by Silvertop; 08-02-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Grammar

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345