Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electric Fan turn-on temp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on where your gauge sensor is in the cooling path. Where did you mount your gauge sensor? The Coyote has a seperate sensor used by the controls pack to trigger the fan on and off based on the temperature at that sensor.

Clemson, if I recall correct you put your gauge sensor in the hot side of the heater hose run, correct? I have mine mounted into the block next to the oil filter as per the FFR instructions. I'm not at first start yet so can't comment but seems like it could be a consideration. If you have an OBD tool that can read parameters, you could see what temperature the computer is sensing when the fan comes on.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by xavier296 View Post
    Started my coyote engine this weekend and got the engine up to temp. I remember reading that the electric fan, when controlled by the stock computer, turns on based on inferred coolant temperature based on cylinder head temperature. My fan comes on at 165 on my guage, which is wayyy too early in my opinion. It should be more like 190 degrees. I have some ideas to raise the temp via another temperature probe, but wanted to get an idea of when others are seeing the fan come on.

Thanks, Aaron
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    Clemson, if I recall correct you put your gauge sensor in the hot side of the heater hose run, correct? I have mine mounted into the block next to the oil filter as per the FFR instructions. I'm not at first start yet so can't comment but seems like it could be a consideration. If you have an OBD tool that can read parameters, you could see what temperature the computer is sensing when the fan comes on.

Kevin
    Kevin,

I used the Ford Racing harness for fan control. The Ron Francis harness has nothing to do with the fan on my car. Also, the gauge pulls temp on the inlet to the heater, which always has flow. How the Ford Racing computer turns on the fan is voodoo to me. Must be a sensor on the engine harness as nothing I did allows communication.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Clemson... I read somewhere that the Coyote uses a built in Infrared sensor that feeds the data back to the computer. I can't recall where the Coyote sensor is located, but A quick google search would probably solve that question.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    Kevin,

I used the Ford Racing harness for fan control. The Ron Francis harness has nothing to do with the fan on my car. Also, the gauge pulls temp on the inlet to the heater, which always has flow. How the Ford Racing computer turns on the fan is voodoo to me. Must be a sensor on the engine harness as nothing I did allows communication.
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019