Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electra Steer died

Post Thanks / Like

Electra Steer died

Drove the HR into my shop no issues. A few days later fire it up and the warning light is on. No power assist. Diagnostics indicate trouble code "22" "No engine input" Solution. Change the ECU. Nice....

Olli
    Last edited by Olli; 06-30-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    Drove the HR into my shop no issues. A few days later fire it up and the warning light is on. No power assist. Diagnostics indicate trouble code "22" "No engine input" Solution. Change the ECU. Nice....

Olli
    Olli,

Wouldn't the sensor wires or the module(s) be the first place to look for a potential break or problem? Have you at least checked the continuity? Stranger things have happened.

Now the not so serious response (would you expect me to miss this opportunity)

Face it, the car is totaled, I'll give you $100 cash for it, small, unmarked, non sequential bills if you prefer

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually Bill, the first place to look is to run the diagnostics just as I did.

Called Unisteer. Their response to code 22, the module is dead. The warranty is 1 yr on the electronics.

The new module (ECU) will cost me $249.

At least it is super easy to change....

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Olli-

I will raise Bill's offer to $125.00 all cash, and I will even pick it up. And as a show of good faith, I will even pay for the ecu. Since the car is ruined and non-running, I think this is a more than fair offer!!

Good luck with the ecu!! I hope it solves all of your problems, and you are good to go!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Olli-

I will raise Bill's offer to $125.00 all cash, and I will even pick it up. And as a show of good faith, I will even pay for the ecu. Since the car is ruined and non-running, I think this is a more than fair offer!!

Good luck with the ecu!! I hope it solves all of your problems, and you are good to go!

Regards,

Steve
    Steve,

Aren't you still under a flash flood watch

I'll more than double your offer to $500 and even know where Olli lives

Olli,

Any chance they will take your module back and find out why it failed so quickly? Perhaps refurbish yours at a lower price point? After all, it is their reputation that is on the line here...

Again, just a thought.

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    The rep from Unisteer indicated that one of the most common reasons for an ECU failure is a voltage spike. My Powermaster alternator did take a dump about 400 miles ago, I suppose that it is possible that there was indeed a voltage spike that did some harm.

I understand your point about Unisteer doing a post-mortum on the ECU. I didn't get the feeling that they were interested in doing so. I think that I will call them tomorrow and ask more directly if they will find out what was really wrong. Who knows where the ECU actually come from and who knows if Unisteer even has the ability to diagnose a dead ECU. If they are willing to fix it, I will then have a spare ECU.

Olli

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    Steve,

Aren't you still under a flash flood watch

Hey Bill-

Yes in fact we are!! Yesterday I went out and while running errands saw groups of animals marching in pairs up the center of the highway. Not sure where they were going!! HA

I'll more than double your offer to $500 and even know where Olli lives

Well, I guess I am out!! Good luck with your new car Bill!!

Olli,

Any chance they will take your module back and find out why it failed so quickly? Perhaps refurbish yours at a lower price point? After all, it is their reputation that is on the line here...

Again, just a thought.

Bill S.
    Olli-

I hope you are able to get a resolution quickly! It would be great if they stood behind the ecu! In either case, I hope it causes minimal disruption-- as little as possible anyway!!

Regards,

Steve