Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote with heater defrost question

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote with heater defrost question

Good day, Gentleman. I am using a coyote and installing the Vintage heater defroster and have a question on circulation and control. The Ford Performance guys say the circulation should be constant through the core and sent me a diagram of the overall circulation of the coolant. Using the ball valve supplied shuts off the constant flow and I am not keen on having the flow throught the core all the time (i.e. when it is 90 degrees out.) Has anyone succesfully used /rigged up the supplied valve or come up with another solution to allow constant flow through the engine as needed but turn on and off flow to the heater core? I have heard rumblings a bout a "4-way valve" but the Ford Perf. guy was unaware of anything in that regard. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used one of these on my roadster. Works well.

https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...ve-kit-50-1555

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the best answer from Ford. The coolant has to have continuous flow from one head to the other. But it doesn't have to flow through the heater core. The electronic bypass valve in the previous post is similar to the one Factory Five supplies with their Coyote heater/A-C kit for the Coyote. I've seen guys post manual valves that do the same thing, e.g. shut off flow to the core but still allow coolant to flow through the heater hoses from one side to the other.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    In process of my build and have FFR heater setup with the manual valve I plan to use. Can't see why this wouldn't be acceptable for use with coyote. I've checked the valve and is solid when closed. Even though going with some modern touches including coyote engine still love the vintage pull & twist knob. I did replace the knob provided by the kit with a lucas style vintage. That knob misterfubar shows seems to only control coolant flow. Would require another knob for blower motor?
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuhale View Post
    In process of my build and have FFR heater setup with the manual valve I plan to use. Can't see why this wouldn't be acceptable for use with coyote. I've checked the valve and is solid when closed...
    I'd sure recommend you reconsider. Ford is very clear that the Coyote cooling system is designed for coolant flow between the two cylinder heads via the heater hoses at all times. Shutting it off with a heater control valve could lead to overheating problems. Why risk it, or potential damage to your engine? If you don't want to use a full bypass valve, a number of people had recommended and installed this bypass from Vintage Air. Allows coolant to flow with a closed heater valve. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...display-detail.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoever you spoke to at Ford was not correct. As Edwardb stated, and I'll reiterate - the Coyote cooling design has an inherent crossover between heads.

Take a look here
    I used a manual, full bypass control valve with the FFR/Vintage Air supplied control switch/cable.

Tip for you:
    Spend some time "exercising" the push/pull action of the switch on the bench with some lubricant. Mine was pretty "sticky" out of the box.
    (I went as far as dis-assembling the switch so I could put a drill-motor on the shaft and spin the crap out of it, to "wear it in". This procedure is not for the faint-of-heart - as there's springs & detent balls in the switch... but my control slides like a hot knife through butter.)
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    You can just buy the bypass valve from Vintage Air Products and use the existing cable, it works fine. Just be sure you have the flow direction correct because the valve is one way only. In my build thread I detailed how you can mount it upside-down to help hide it too.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, all. Got it handled now using the above advice and solutions. Stay Well!

9. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post