I've been contemplating a sheet metal intake for a long time especially since I saw this cool aluminator engine in a roadster at HB. But it goes much further back to my time as a drag racing fan. I like the performance of the folded tunnel ram manifolds like the one I have (Holley Systemax) but it is a major PITA. I've sort of gotten used to it as far as getting it off and on but it's still a pain. So I would like to fab a symmetrical one that clears all the working parts such as valve covers and fuel rails and only remove it when there is a major issue like changing cam and lifters, heads, etc......

So as with some of my other projects this will be a transitional approach where I start with a large plenum box on top of the existing Holley lower. I have a phenolic 1 inch spacer that I can use to create a smooth air passage to each runner. It isn't much of a edge anyway since the runners are so close together but I will do it just for kicks anyway. I'm curious to see if the plenum will perform well. I know there are tuning problems with various length runners and the size of the plenum but I will stay as close to the standards as I can for getting the components into the ball park range of the tune. I also am comparing with other manifolds runner lengths and diameters. There are some graphs on the web that give some data as well. Examples are like the length of the runner should be around 6.5 to 7 inches for my engine. Also, the top end of the runner should be at least 1.5 times the size of the ports then funneling in to the port size at the head. Those will be important for our second version which will be a full sheet metal manifold from flange to the box with a valley cover. I am excited about doing this to see if I can get some performance improvement but also to change the look of my engine. I want it to look NASCARish with the fabricated valve covers as well and machined fuel rails. It should be completely different from the present look which is sort of hot rod Mustang like. Eventually, I will change heads to something like Canfield which is my choice at this time but I will keep the GT40Ps for a while longer.

Here is what I have in mind except it will be EFI. http://www.swartzracingmanifolds.com...olds/index.htm

I'm curious to see if others have gone this route and if you got good, neutral, or bad results. I like that this will allow me to bolt things on and off without taking the whole thing apart and sitting for weeks. When we do the full sheet metal project, I will take an engine with heads on the little trailer to the machine shop and leave it with them so they can weld with the flanges bolted in place. These guys are racers so they like out of the ordinary projects anyway. I'll do some pics when we get started.

Thanks,

WEK.