BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  25

Thread: Oil issues: Dry Sump, Accusump for road racing?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may have to play the Devil's Advocate. I will run this by you guys anyway. My experience has been with two STis and three different motors. First a 2011 STi that I started tracking right out of the box. I did headers and put out 300WHP and 360FPT. After several thousand miles of track time on it I totaled it at WGI. That motor was still fine.
    The current car is an '08 STi. It got all the goodies off the '11 and 285x35x18 Hoosiers, Stoptech BBK, aero and Motion Control Suspension two-way gas shocks.
    I have about two seasons on the new shortblock with CP pistons. I broke the original motor when I sucked oil from the catch can back into the intake and broke ring-lands.
    I have had no issues with the Full Race modified Moroso pan, external oil filter, Accusump, oil cooler and thermostatic bypass valve on this motor. I just finished installing a KillerB pan setup on it since I had the motor out to do a close-ratio gearbox and OS Giken diffs.

I run almost nine quarts of oil in the system (leaving it a half-quart low on the stick) including the two quart Accusump. I run Royal Purple XPR 5-30 or 10-40. I have 85 PSI cold at idle and it runs around 65 hot on the track.
    I run New Jersey Motorsports Park and the "lightbulb" or carousel gives me about eight seconds of high Gs. BTW, I have experienced fuel starvation in the carousel when I didn't run enough gas.
    I calculated Road America's carousel to be more like eleven seconds of high Gs.

Here's where I question writing off the Accusump. Even if the math is correct, and I base it on 50 GPM@5,000 (average) RPM, then can I do the carousel with or perhaps without the Accusump? I don't know how you can make the assumption that the pickup will starve right away. With the Accusump's volume expended you have to ask where is eight quarts of oil going (with two quarts staying in the other components)? Eight quarts can stay in one head? None comes down? Even with my open breather, with an open oil return, I do not lose significant oil in a track day. In other words it is not getting pumped up and out with blow-by or Gs.
    This is all speculation on my part other than I have not had an engine failure over the course of many hard track days. I have been able to watch my gauges with the video camera at times but no data logging and I have no data about whether or if I have ever lost oil pressure other than the warning light I can set on my SPA gauge, has never come on during cornering (to my knowledge). I have the Accusump to kick in below 30 PSI and I think that's where I have the warning light set to come on. SO, I have no empirical data unless I can find an old video of me in that carousel and watch for a light or dropping pressure. Sometimes I can actually read the gauges in the video. I haven't done that kind of evaluation of my gauges except for at WGI. On review of a video, I did not have any pressure drop in the carousel, but I don't know the Gs.
    This exchange on NASIOC and information about pans and pickups may be of interest to the members here. All Subaru pans and pickups are not created equal. Seems late model STi pans can hold oil better than other Subaru pans. Chris/KillerB shows and contrasts pans in post #36.

Edit: I do have both head vents in each head utilized and tied together. The larger ports on my W25 heads T's to the center, top case vent in the top of the case. This forms a closed loop that extends well above the case. The other, smaller ports tie to the breather tank and can drain back to the motor via the ex-PCV port (top-rear near the turbo). Blowby pressure cannot build to push oil out.
    Last edited by Scargo; 05-30-2015 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Adding or expanding on previous