I hope this helps some folks. It was a long process.

Follow this process if you built a car that is not a replica of an antique or historic vehicle. You can use this process for replicas of antique and historic vehicles but if you do, you will get a title that shows as whatever the current year is (IE if you register in 2016, your title would read 2016 Factory Five Racing Roadster). The implication there is emissions. However, the same statewide law that states you do NOT have to get emissions checked until your car is 2 years old will actually apply to you as well, so you don't have to worry about passing emissions for two years after you title the car. That's fine for a GTM or 818 that can be brought into emissions compliance easily, but not for a Cobra replica with a carburetor and side pipes! For replicas, there is another process you can follow that doesn't even require titles and you basically just go straight to the tag office and get a tag without any other headaches.

1. Get your car to the point where it will pass a safety inspection. Because the rest of the process can take some time, I would suggest skipping non-critical parts of the build and prioritizing the safety inspection stuff first so you can work on the rest while you are waiting on the state to get around to processing your paperwork. There is no official list published but they check: headlights, tail lights, reverse lights, hazards brake lights, wipers (though my inspector said he would pass a car without wipers), horn, seatbelts, e-brake, doors latch and stay shut. I think that's really about it. The inspectors are independent agents and will come to you. Their price is fixed to $100 (or $150, I forget). The inspectors normally inspect rebuilt salvage title vehicles, but they also do kit cars. The list of state approved inspectors is here: http://dor.georgia.gov/sites/dor.geo...%20Private.pdf You may have to call a handful of them in order to find one that is actually still inspecting and will come to you, or within a reasonable timeframe. The inspector will provide you with a signed form or two. He may even go through your paperwork and help guide you as to what you need to send in. It will basically be the same as what I outline here.
2. Call the police and request an officer to your house to fill out a T22-B. Call non-emergency dispatch to do this. They will generally come out within a couple hours. Tell them why you need and and show them where the SERIAL NUMBER is on the frame. This is what you want them to put on the T22-B form.
3. If the inspector didn't give you these already, fill out a form MV-1, T22-R, T-129, and an MV-100. All those can be downloaded from the dor.georgia.gov website in PDF format. Ensure you put 2016 as the model year on the forms; the rest should be self explanatory. On a piece of paper, write a note to the person processing the application that this is a kit car that you built, using parts from a donor car. Explain that all parts used to assemble the vehicle came from the donor car or the kit. If you bought other parts, you can list them there if you want to........... Now take all these forms and paper, plus the inspection form from the inspector and go to a notary. At least one form must be signed in front of a notary (it will say on the form). Once notarized, put it in an envelope, and also include the FFR Manufacturers Certificate Of Origin, the T-22B form that the LEO filled out, the title from the donor car (which you won't get back, FYI), and a photo copy of your driver's license. I included receipts from FFR and the auction place I bought the car from but my inspector told me I didn't have to do that. Mail the envelope in to:
Attn: Salvage Unit
Dept of Revenue / Motor Vehicle Division
PO Box 740384
Atlanta, GA 30374-0384
4. After some weeks pass (7 in my case), you should get a letter back from them saying in order to continue, you need to provide them with two appraisals of your car from two manufacturers of kit cars. By "manufacturer", they mean people who build, complete, and sell them. There are several people on this forum alone who do this for a living, but don't call FFR for it. The appraisals need to be on "company letterhead stationary", though the two I sent in were on plain paper that had been color printed with company letterhead and they accepted them (ensure the company is legit and has a valid address and phone number). They want the appraisal so they know how much to tax you. Tax will be 7% of the highest of the two appraised values. They will tell you to mail the appraisals in with a copy of the letter they just sent you, to the same address I listed above. Now - You MIGHT be able to speed up the process by including these two appraisals in your first packet of forms that you send in, but I didn't try that so I can't say.
5. After you send the appraisals in, some weeks will pass (3 or 4 in my case I think), you will get a vin plate in the mail which will also include a T-22 form, and a letter saying that your title is on hold until you pay your ad valorem tax and threatening penalties if you don't do it within like 3 weeks. You can do the remaining steps in several different orders but I would suggest the following order because it worked well for me. The vin and the tax letter came 2 days apart for me.
6. Once you have the vin plate, you know your vin number so call your insurance company immediately and tell them to update your policy with your new vin number, and request that they update the Georgia State Database accordingly. I would strongly advise you to e-mail your insurance company the tax letter the state sent you so your insurance company can match EVERYTHING in that letter (vin, year, make, model, even your first, middle and last name). If you don't do this, the tag office may not be able to see your proof of insurance and that will prevent you from getting a plate.
7. First thing is to put the vin plate on the car. It needs to be on the driver side B-pillar, and riveted in place. I put mine on the fiberglass side sail in the door jam right about the door striker. Once installed, call the police and request a LEO to come out and complete a T-22. This is not a T-22B, it is a T-22, and you should have them fill out the one that the state sent you which has the info they want pre-populated.
8. Once you have the T-22 complete, take the tax letter down to your county tag office, give them the tax letter and tell them you want to pay the ad valorem tax for your kit car. They will call the state on the phone to tell them you are paying it so the state can update their records, then they will collect payment. In Fulton County, you could pay by personal check or credit card (credit card had a fee of like 2.5%). They give you a tax receipt and that's all. They will not give you a license plate yet.
9. Now you have two options: 1 - Mail the the tax receipt, the completed T-22, and the tax letter to the same address listed above and wait for your title to come in the mail (2+ weeks), or, you can take all those things to the Georgia Department of Revenue Motor Vehicles office in person an request a title. I will warn you though, when I went to the counter to get my number and explained to the woman behind the window why I was there, she told me it, "wasn't policy to print titles for kit cars at the office and that they must be mailed." But she gave me a number anyway. When my number was called, the person helping me took my forms, I explained what I was there for, and she asked me for $10 and gave me my title. Your mileage may be vary.
10. With the title in hand, go to the tag office and ask for a license plate. As long as your insurance shows up in their database and you have the title in hand, they will issue you a plate and tag. Now you are done. Two years from now you'll need to pass emissions each year on your birthday, just like with your other cars (assuming you own cars new enough to require emissions).

Some additional advice:
- I would advise against calling the GA DOR and asking for help with this process. I tried that and got different stories each time I called. One time they told me they won't title a kit car. Another time they told me I could submit the initial paperwork (step 3 above) on-site to save time so I drove all the way down there (it's by the airport) and tried to submit it only to have them tell me I had to "put it in the mailbox over by the front door - we don't process kit cars at this location". I was told a lot of other stuff that wasn't accurate as well so to prevent confusion, I would avoid calling them for anything and just follow the process outlined above.
- You CAN call the GA DOR to check the status of your request, but if you have not received the letter outlined in step 4 above, your request won't even show up in their system so they will say they don't see it, causing you anguish as you wonder if it's there and waiting to be processed, or lost forever in time and space.
- I would send everything certified or trackable to them so if they lose it, you can prove you sent it.
- Make copies of ALL paperwork! Especially Manufacturer's certificate of origin and donor car title
- Smile and be nice to the people at the tag office and the DOR - I did that in step 9 and got my title even though the first person I talked to said that wasn't going to happen.