I know there are many threads about carb problems. I have read the tuning threads and understand the basic tuning process. My question is about what is the normal carb tuning frequency? Let me explain. I have a Levy Racing stage 4 347. Awesome engine and it runs great. On the engine I have a Quick Fuel 750 SS with an electic choke. I set up the carb like the "Carb 101" tuning thread describes. I have the transition slot on the primaries set so that it is a square. The secondaries are just barely open (just a slight crack). The idle mix screws are effective and end up being about 1 full turn open. My basic approach to tuning idle has been to adjust the idle mix screws to get the max rpms after the engine is warm. It works great and I end up with an very stable idle around 950 rpm. The throttle is very responsive and it drives great. Here are my questions/observations:

1. After a week or so, the carb seems to "drift" and I have to do a small adjustment. An example, ran great for a couple of weeks (cold starts, hot starts, etc). Today I took a drive and the idle was very low (<700) and felt like it was about to die. Had to adjust the carb. Is it normal to have to adjust frequently?

2. When tuned it runs great but seems to be rich at idle. I do not have an exhaust analyzer but smells rich. This is all based on my untrained amateur nose but it sure gases up the garage while it warms up.

Thoughts? Maybe I am just concerning myself with something that is normal. I certainly don't mind tinkering with the carb if needed. It is fun and I am learning something new.

Thanks guys.

FYI. This weekend I drove the car to a "Hot Rod Night" in a small town near me. It was fun and they let me park my car at the front of the show even though I got there a little late. A lot of fun and cool cars. The kids were the best.