Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Gen 3 Coyote Hard Start Issues - Don't' think its wiring related.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coyote Hard Start Issues - Don't' think its wiring related.

Looking or any suggestions or troubleshooting tips to solve a hard start condition when cold and no-restart condition when hot. I have a new Gen3 Coyote and Control Pack, shipped in August of last year. Did my first start a few days ago. The engine cranks and periodically chugs until it catches after 15-20 seconds. When its cold it usually starts after the extended cranking but it will not re-start after reaching normal operating temperature. It needs to sit overnight and completely cool before it will start again. Once the engine is running it seems to operate perfectly. Sounds great, idles smoothly and revs as expected. Oil pressure, water and oil temps are as expected. The PCM driven fan cycles on at 195 ish. The PCM is not setting any DTC's but my MIL light does not come on at all. (I’ve been chasing the hard start issue first.) I have the FF Coyote install kit and CAI. The MAF is oriented correctly, I've checked twice. I have the same fuel pump setup (Pro M hanger) and Aeromotive regulator set to 65PSi that has been used on many gen 3 builds successfully. I believe everything is installed per the FF Coyote and the Ford Performance Control Pack instructions and I've checked all my grounds for continuity. I have the Digital Guard Dog PBS 1 installed and working correctly. One push to energize the ACC circuit and a second to start. The fuel pump primes for a couple seconds when the ACC circuit is energized and fuel pressure comes up to spec almost instantly, barely a second. I even put the Ford provided air box on upside down to see it made a difference, nope. If I pull a plug after an extended crank and no start the plugs do look a little wet.

I reached out to Ford Performance and after a brief description of my problem the tech told me I could expect the "gen 3 to crank for up to 60 seconds". When I politely questioned 60 seconds and mentioned other folks with identical builds were not seeing such an extend crank time he bluntly asked why I was challenging his technical expertise. It was a pretty short call after that.

Any help or suggestions or trouble shooting steps would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Barwickad; 07-11-2023 at 07:56 PM.
    MK4 Complete Kit. Gen3 Coyote, TKX, IRS. Wilwoods, Forgeline Wheels.
    Ordered 11/29/21. Kit received 8/18/22. First start 6/22/23.