Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Help needed - Gen2 Coyote + T56 + IRS install - trans mount and clearance questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Help needed - Gen2 Coyote + T56 + IRS install - trans mount and clearance questions

Yesterday I got the engine/trans installed (per my build thread post #169 & #170. However, I have a couple of questions for those with the same drivetrain combo as I have (MK4 w/ Gen2 Coyote + T56 + IRS). Here's a list of my questions and concerns - would love some feedback/suggestions on this. I don't fully understand the driveline angles that are needed and admittedly need to read up on this to help me understand the angles needed between the trans, driveshaft, and pumpkin.

1) With this drivetrain combo, is it better to mount the A-frame above or below the frame tabs? I currently have it mounted on top of the tabs. Asking this question because of the gap I have between the trans mount and the A-frame bracket after installation (see bullet #3 below).

2) I wasn't sure if I needed to use the transmission mount spacers with the Tremec T56. The FFR Complete Kit instructions show using the spacers, but the Coyote Fitment instructions do NOT show them. Which is correct for this combo? Or is the answer, "your pinion angle will determine what spacers you might need between the trans mount and the A-frame"?

3) Issue: After installing the drivetrain (and inserting the driveshaft during the install), the transmission mount ends up about 3/4" above the A-frame. Did I do something wrong here or is this a result of how I have the driveshaft installed? The driveshaft is almost completely straight inline with the IRS pumpkin and the transmission output. I don't think it's supposed to be that way, but that's how it ended up when I pushed the engine rearward to get the mount studs into the engine mount slots. During the install I inserted the driveshaft slip yoke into the trans, then bolted the other end to the IRS adapter plate. Then pushed the engine rearwards to get the engine mount studs through the frame bracket slots, and this is how it ended up. Almost like the driveshaft is sandwiched between the trans and pumpkin in a straight line. There's only about 1/8" of the slip yoke exposed --> Is that about right or should more be visible? Is it better to get the engine/trans positioned, then install the driveshaft? For reference, the driveshaft I'm using is FFR p/n 16038 (ROADSTER 31 SPLINE 8.375" DRIVESHAFT FOR 2015 IRS) which I'm pretty confident is correct for this driveline combo. Here are some reference pictures:

4) Currently, my engine mounts look like this, with a 3/8" gap on the DS and no gap on the PS between the stud and the slot. Should both be sitting flush with the bottom of the slot? Is my engine sitting too high? Again, this might be because the driveshaft is basically sandwiched between the trans and pumpkin. If I removed the driveshaft, maybe the engine could slide down all the way in the mounts. Looking for feedback on how it "should be" sitting.

5) Issue: Is this enough clearance between the e-brake cable routing bracket on the PS and the driveshaft? Right now it's about 1/8" which seems really small. I was hoping to not have to cut that bracket off, but I'm wondering if this is just too close. The gap may grow or shrink depending on where the final transmission mounting position ends up, but looking for feedback on what kind of clearance is needed/expected with this drivetrain combo, or if I just need to cut the bracket and figure out different routing for the e-brake cables. I could also just trim the corner off the bracket to gain a few more millimeters of clearance.
    Last edited by dbo_texas; 02-06-2024 at 12:54 PM.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents