BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build assistance in Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Build assistance in Texas

I sent an email to Factory Five for recommendations as to shops that could assist in build and paint for one of their kits and in reply I got a " Preferred Builder's List" that shows no company nearer than Florida or South Carolina. I live in Austin, Texas. Surely there are shops I can drive to that have some expertise in projects of this kind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you looking for someone to build it for you or just help with information? Many FFRs in Austin area. Where are you? I'm in Creedmoor and guys in South Austin, Drippin and Round Rock. We will be at a car show on Sunday on 620. You can find what we are up to on this site. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Austincobraclub/ Join and you can post.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    You might try Gary Hagar owner of Hack Shack in Rogers, AR. Sorry I don't have his number but there has been a lot of right ups on the forum about his shop and photo examples of his work. You can also call Jason at Factory Five he will have a number for him. Check him out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try contacting James Yale at Radical Roadsters of Texas. Although he is a BDR dealer James has built and owned Factory Five cars. On top of that he's just a good, stand up guy.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Steve. I might come out and see y'all on Sunday. It's only 18 miles from my home in Lost Creek. I'm still in the feasibility study stage of my project plan. I joined your group on yahoo. I'm not a car builder, but I have owned and exhibited a restored 1930 Ford Model A Deluxe Coupe with rumbleseat and sidemount since 1985. The engine, paintwork, and interior were done by Al Prueitt & Sons of Glen Rock, PA when I was serving overseas. It made more sense to pay for labor and materials as delivered than to pay for storage. I'm a member of the Capitol City Model A Club in Austin, and a former member of the George Washington Chapter MAFCA in the DC area. I've rebuilt or refurbished the generator, starter, water pump, clutch actuator assembly, and such but big jobs like motor and brake installation are not part of my experience. Thanks for your reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Austexican you have a PM.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, James Yale will be at the meet in San Marcos in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by seagull81; 03-14-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin

Post Thanks / Like
    We are building an MK4 Roadster at Big Dam Scooters , 13101 FM 2243, Leander Texas. Come on out and we can discuss your plans. We are 25-30 miles North of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody. Bought a completed Daytona Coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by tomnt View Post
    We are building an MK4 Roadster at Big Dam Scooters , 13101 FM 2243, Leander Texas. Come on out and we can discuss your plans. We are 25-30 miles North of you.
    Thanks everybody. I bought a completed Daytona Coupe. I didn't really have the space in my two car garage to complete a build project. I will, however, retain your recommendations in case I want to make any changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on being a new Coupe owner. Get involved with the other guy's in your area.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Super, we have another Coupe in the area. Keep an eye on the Yahoo Group and join our next event. We would love to see the car. But then-no pictures it didn't happen! Post some up for us to drool over.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin

Post Thanks / Like
    As you can see, the garage is a mite crowded. Natasha looks pretty slinky in her blue and silver livery. Well, I had to name her "Natasha" since my wife named the Model A "Boris" when he was her daily ride to high school. Any other Rocky and Bullwinkle fans out there?
    Daytona-01.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks similar to my garage, two projects in the works and a third waiting its turn. I was a big fan of "Moose and Squirrel" back in the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of projects, that section of cartwheel that appears behind the Daytona is a masonry artifact that displays the Studebaker emblem. It was recovered from the demolition of the building that housed the Studebaker dealership in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The family story is that my father-in-law, the owner of a Cadillac dealership, sent a crew of his employees to acquire and transport the object. Unfortunately, one of the crew lost a finger that was crushed beneath the object. My wife and I have moved it from Fort Wayne to northern Virginia to Texas with no subsequent injuries sustained. Needless to say, the moving companies involved have declined any further participation in our moves! For the 28 years of our marriage, I have planned to assemble this object in a wet bar to be installed on our patio, but I have yet to attempt that project. Hell, I don't want to get near it. Any volunteers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking Cobra. I can't wait to see it. Give us some details on what is in it.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought Randy's Daytona. You may know him and the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    POWERPLANT: Rebuilt Ford 302 5.0, Type R valve covers, Weiand Intake with Fast EZ Electronic Fuel Injection, Elgin E1017P cam, AFR165 aluminum heads, titanium header wrap to keep engine bay temps down and added cool factor estimated at 400 hp. Canton Alum. Radiator filler tank not shown but installed. GEARTRAIN: T-5 five speed, 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears, Ford Racing aluminum reinforced rear cover, 4 link rear-end setup. COCKPIT: Leather seats, leather surfaces, full carpet, insulated. Autometer gauges, Cobra floormats. AC & Heat, Simpson 5-point harness. SUSPENSION, BRAKES, ROLLING STOCK: Wilwood high performance disc brakes on all four corners, coil over adjustable shocks on all four corners, 255/40ZR17 Nitto's at front and 315/35/ZR17 at rear on FR500 aluminum wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do a lot of cars that go to Tx, Please feel free to give me a call at 520-494-2745 and we can talk over your build.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like

Garage art

Studebaker sign-03 (2).JPGThis Studebaker sign with a couple of jackstands makes an interesting B&W study. It is a masonry artifact that displays the Studebaker automobile company emblem. It was recovered from the demolition of the building that housed the Studebaker dealership in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The family story is that my father-in-law, the owner of a Cadillac dealership, sent a crew of his employees to acquire and transport the object. Unfortunately, one of the crew lost a finger that was crushed beneath it when it toppled. My wife and I have moved it from Fort Wayne to northern Virginia to Texas with no subsequent injuries sustained. Needless to say, the moving companies involved have declined any further participation in the transport of our household! For the 28 years of our marriage, I have planned to assemble this object in a wet bar to be installed on our patio, but I have yet to attempt that project. Today, we had to move it ten feet closer to the entrance to our garage so that the contractor can install new windows in our 30 year old house. I dragged it with a chain hooked to the tow hitch of my pickup after I locked the transmission in 4wd low and proceeded an inch at a time. It took a crew of three to ensure that it remained upright. The sign is 43x43x11 inches and weighs over 400 lbs. My wife swears she will not move it again!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll come get it out of your way!
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin

Post Thanks / Like
    When the sun finally came out on Memorial Day I was able to take some photos.Daytona-002.JPGDaytona-003.JPGDaytona-004.JPGDaytona-005.JPGDaytona-006.JPG