Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Rack and Tie Rod Ends

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Rack and Tie Rod Ends

After a real long layoff I'm getting back on my 33 build. I have one of the earlier kits. I mounted the steering rack, screwed on the outer tie rod ends and did a "by eye" alignment like the manual suggests. When I tried to put the outer tie rod end ball joint in the spindle I was quite a ways too wide (way too much toe-in). I screwed the end all the way as far as the threads on the steering rack would go and I was still too wide (not enough threads on inner tie rods). I still had some threads left in the outer tie rod before bottoming out. I know from earlier posts that on the early kits you had to cut some of the front suspension pieces (lower control arms) in order to be able to get the correct camber but I just recently (reading some posts on the subject) became aware of having to modify the rack. What's the best solution/process? Do I need to cut the inner tie rods on the rack and re-thread or just add some more threads to the inner tie rods? I understand that there is some questions about doing this. Cut some off the ends of the outer tie rod? Also, what is the correct thread on the rack, 9/16-18 or M14 x 1.5?

Thanks,

Glenn
    Last edited by GlennC; 06-23-2013 at 12:19 PM.