Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
Hi Ray, that's good to know, as my plan/desire is to register with SB100, choose body style, and get a 1960 designation.

I just received block off plates to remove the air pump, so I'm committing myself to that path (removing smog eqpmt).

I plan to be at the DMV Jan 2nd, just to make sure I get a #, and will have plenty of time to get her on the road within the year.

As soon as I get back into town next week, I'll let you know... plenty to do!
If it were me, and I realize it's not, I would wait until you are a bit closer to go-cart stage of the build. The 500 numbers a year don't go nearly as fast as they did in the past. This is because car builders like Boyd Coddington are not trying to register cars under the SPCNS program, which were previously illegally registered using wrecking yard VIN numbers. The state gave these vehicles a grace period to be properly registered under the SPCNS program and those builders flooded the CA. DMV each year. That grace period is over now and the economy tanked, so numbers are routinely available the entire year now. I would bet if you went down to the DMV tomorrow you would get a number. Remember once you start the process the state wants their revenue. And event though you may not have a VIN assignment yet, you still have to pay the fees each year. I payed close to $300 each year that the car was not completed because I got the car in the system so early. $600 I could have spent on other things for the car, so think about it.