Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 6 speed sti transmission

Post Thanks / Like

818 6 speed sti transmission

When will we get pictures of the 818R with the 6 speed STi transmission installed? Any info on how it was converted to work in the 818?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump this - at least a little information?

Post Thanks / Like
    The 818R shown at SEMA this year had the 6 speed installed in it. FFR will be offering a STI Transaxle-to-WRX Engine Adapter sometime soon.
    Doug Rosier
    FFR #4737. IRS, Dual Roll Bars, 427w, TKO, Wilwood Brakes, Mass-Flo Fuel Injection, Bullit Wheels, a Bimini Top and Plenty of Fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    The 818R shown at SEMA this year had the 6 speed installed in it. FFR will be offering a STI Transaxle-to-WRX Engine Adapter sometime soon.
    There is no adapter to bolt the STI transmission to a WRX engine (or any subaru EJ engine for that matter). The only adapter that is needed to make the 6spd work is the one to convert it to FWD, and to cap of the back of the trans.

If this was at sema I assume they were able to keep the back of the transmission from poking out the rear bumper? Anybody have pictures?
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    The end of the transmission could potentially be an easy fix. The current setup reuses the fork/clevis from the stock setup. They do this so they can make a simply stamped steel piece instead of needing to weld or machine a different piece. If they did machine a piece for this, youcould invert how the back attaches and easily save 1-2" of rear clearance.

I plan to do this for my 5spd for looks and to see if I can get enough clearance to run a dual outlet exhaust (just for symmetry, not performance).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    The end of the transmission could potentially be an easy fix. The current setup reuses the fork/clevis from the stock setup. They do this so they can make a simply stamped steel piece instead of needing to weld or machine a different piece. If they did machine a piece for this, youcould invert how the back attaches and easily save 1-2" of rear clearance.

I plan to do this for my 5spd for looks and to see if I can get enough clearance to run a dual outlet exhaust (just for symmetry, not performance).
    People have not talked about the rear shifting and the 818R. What seems silly, is one minor bump from the rear will mess up the transmission shifting.....You cant have that on a race car, so I will be welding in a nice push bumper to save my @$$ (and shifting). I will also be incorporating a rear wing mount base separate of the bumper (so if you get tagged, it does not mess up wing angle). I'm designing a wing base that mounts to the rear transaxle....(5spd) like old Porsche racers.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    we mounted the mesh on the outside of the bumper instead of the inside so we had more clearance. i would say with the shift rod all the way out it had roughly 1/2"-3/4" before the edge of the body. we have the 2wd internal coupler available now for the STI transaxle. you will be using the tailshaft housing from the transaxle and simply blocking off where the driveshaft would have popped out. we fab'd up a different set of shifter cable brackets, and had a cable driven mechanism also on that bracket for the reverse lock-out. Joe@FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't there a few different styles of 6spd? Does the FFR coupler fit all models? Could we use a JDM 6spd?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any chance of getting Wayne's shift box to work with the 6-speed? I believe his kit uses different cables than what FFR provides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe scott View Post
    we mounted the mesh on the outside of the bumper instead of the inside so we had more clearance. I would say with the shift rod all the way out it had roughly 1/2"-3/4" before the edge of the body. We have the 2wd internal coupler available now for the sti transaxle. You will be using the tailshaft housing from the transaxle and simply blocking off where the driveshaft would have popped out. We fab'd up a different set of shifter cable brackets, and had a cable driven mechanism also on that bracket for the reverse lock-out. Joe@ffr
    pictures ! ! ! !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Any chance of getting Wayne's shift box to work with the 6-speed? I believe his kit uses different cables than what FFR provides.
    The Ktuned shifter was originally designed for a 6sp so i don't see why it wouldn't.
    05 Outback XT - DD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
    The Ktuned shifter was originally designed for a 6sp so i don't see why it wouldn't.
    But was it designed for a 6 speed with a reverse lockout mechanism like the Subaru?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
    But was it designed for a 6 speed with a reverse lockout mechanism like the Subaru?
    Im sure a similar solution to what FFR did could be made to work. The Ktuned unit was not created with a lockout reverse, Honda's don't have that.
    05 Outback XT - DD