BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tires and Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Tires and Wheels

Looking for recommendations from those who have been there!

What Tire and Wheel combinations have you found to be the best fit for your GTM. I want to utilize this car on the street. I am installing the C6 Z06 Big Brake upgrade kit.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mills GTM View Post
    Looking for recommendations from those who have been there!

What Tire and Wheel combinations have you found to be the best fit for your GTM. I want to utilize this car on the street. I am installing the C6 Z06 Big Brake upgrade kit.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    This is a subject that comes up a couple of times a year. And everytime it does, you'll find that everyone has a personal favorite. With that said, I'll tell you what I ended up doing, and why.

One of the most critical aspects or tire and wheel fitment is the backspace vs outer lip size. I must have asked 10 different ways for someone to explain how to determine the correct backspacing to fit the GTM. And then on a whim, I called CCW in Florida. (Complete Custom Wheels). They were the company who initially supplied wheels to Factory Five to sell with the GTM Kit.

I spoke to a member of their sales staff, and found them to be very eager to help me by explaining that it isn't just back spacing, but the outter lip size that also matters. I told them which wheel (in their product line) that I really liked, and they came up with a set of wheels that really matched my style for what I was looking for. We also talked about buying tires as well. I've always preferred Michelin's over other tires. Just my personal preferrence... So we put together a set of C2K wheels, and Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. Buying them as a packaged set saved me quite a bit of money compared to buying everything seperately.

Wheels: CCW -C2K's
    Front: 18" x 9"
    Rear: 18" x 12"

Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport 2's
    Front: 245/40 ZR18
    Rear: 335/30 ZR18

There were a lot of people at the time who said that anything over 305/30 R19 wouldn't fit the rear of the GTM. I had already decided the front and rear would be 18" dia. So when I talked to CCW, and told him that I wanted a set or 335's for the rear, he told me that they could make the wheels to fit the GTM perfectly. And they do!

I'll have to take a look at my invoice to get the back spacing measurements for you. I'll do that when I get home tomorrow.

They also custom ground a set of center caps for me. instead of engraving the CCW logo, they agreed to create a set of center caps with "GTM" instead.
    I think it looks pretty cool...

Last edited by The Stig; 11-20-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good info from the Stig.

I went with Motegi MR120. Light, attractive and inexpensive. The only issue is they come only as wide as 10.5. I am running Toyo T1R 285/30/18 and have very limited traction issues. The 10.5 could handle a 305 tire, I just went 285 due to the great deal I got on the tires. I rode in an LS7 car with 335 tires and he had more traction issues then I have and I am putting out slightly more then stock LS6 power.
    Last edited by Kalstar; 11-21-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    CCW ROCKS!

When we can't find any cheap Vette wheels around and have to have THE RIGHT rims, I call CCW. Prices are very reasonable and THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. As the name implies, they make what you need and the lead times are pretty short. Their rims have held up very well under racing conditions, which are BRUTAL compared to street applications. Nothing but great things to say about Complete Custom Wheel.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Stig...Great info. I have been on the phone with CCW. Sounds like they can take care of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kalstar. I will be running an LS7 so that's good to know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is anyone running 19" front and rear?