Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: is there any storage space in the 818 S

Post Thanks / Like

is there any storage space in the 818 S

i am not familiar yet but see no place to store anything for a trip?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by indiana818 View Post
    Yes there will be plenty. The best production model that has the same set up as the 818 is the Lotus Evora. There is much room behind the engine, you will just need to get creative on how you make the trunk.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by indiana818 View Post
    There is little to nothing as part of the kit. You will have to make something right now. FFR is working on some sort of trunk in the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the sort of trunk in the back can interfere with an AWIC if the cooler is located above the tranny. Ref.: Wayne's build (and possibly Erik's).

Am I right?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    I think the sort of trunk in the back can interfere with an AWIC if the cooler is located above the tranny. Ref.: Wayne's build (and possibly Erik's).

Am I right?
    Absolutely, didn't Eric say he wasn't putting in a trunk? All there would be left would be maybe 6 to 12 inches?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes he said the purpose of his build was absolutely not to have a trunk, it's never been part of his requirements.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear of FFR's possible trunk option efforts. Whether they do or don't (are or aren't), I looked at the existence of a split rear deck as a nod toward installing a trunk. For those of us that want a trunk, we have to keep that space in mind as we choose elements of our build. The Water inter cooler obviously hurts trunk space options, exhaust choices might as well. It may even come down to moving stuff around once everything is installed to carve out trunk space. e.g.: wiring elements, brackets, hoses. My 818 is a replacement for my Goldwing, I want similar storage space for overnight bags, store runs, heck at least a cover in case I get caught in the rain! I assumed the space straddling the tranny was the prime real estate for trunk space. From there, cubby holes could be carved out in other places too.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could also frabic something around the dash, like around the knee sections or maybe a glove box if there is enough space behind the dash. Door panels might be an option too, if you can fit a box (3 sides of it) or something. Not sure if there is enough space.

On the GTM you could have a small box fitted underneath the center console, close to the shifter. Not sure that can apply on the 818.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I forget who is doing the factory wire harness build, but his entire tunnel, the shifter was mounted to, looked completely filled and under pressure, lol. Maybe a cup or cell phone holder could fit, but that might be it in that area. For the other areas you mentioned, looking around touring motorcycles and boats might present a few options for a clean install of cubby holes. Car storage spaces are always so vehicle specific, while the boats and cycles storage spaces are usually just a rectangle cutout in a panel, with the whole storage unit just dropping in. Often lockable too, a plus considering our initial builds are all going to be roadsters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Goldwing have you thought about a little trailer like what you might pull behind a motorcycle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
    I forget who is doing the factory wire harness build, but his entire tunnel, the shifter was mounted to, looked completely filled and under pressure, lol.
    If you use the whole harness, that looks to be the case. However Craig (Mechie3) has done a great job dieting down his factory harness and the result is impressive. He dropped his shifter way down, since the wires take up so little room. This leads me to think that storage cubbies in the 'transmission tunnel' are feasible with OEM wiring, assuming you strip it out like him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget your passenger's lap! That's where I plan to put most of my stuff.

Seriously, though, it looks like there is a little space behind the head restraints. You could make a custom bag that fills the space under the roll bar for longer trips. That plus a small trunk over the transmission and another small trunk (aka frunk) in the front and I begin to think you could make an overnight trip in it. The Goldwing storage might be a stretch without some serious fabrication around the engine bay. Those are BIG motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be waaaaay easier to fabricate a trailer hitch and a little tag-along trailer.