FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Boz's 33

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    Sounds great Boz, I can't believe you had the patience to wait so long to drive it. Very nice.
    Thanks Evan, I knew she was drivable, just wanted to go slow. I will admit I have a steering issue after this jaunt. Seems with all the bump steer install, uninstall, reinstall the steering is a turn off. she turns great to the right but not so much to the left. I'll fix that in the morning. And I did have an adult beverage after being on the road finally. Wifey wanted to know if it was always going to be that loud and I assured her it wouldn't after she settled down a bit...........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT-ED View Post
    Loooooooove that idle! Sounds nasty exactly like it should do
    Thanks, it's exactly what I was looking for too. She's got more cam in her than the 557 I'm building for the Fairlane.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! that sure does sound nasty. Nothing like driving the 33 after all that work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Wow! that sure does sound nasty. Nothing like driving the 33 after all that work.
    Thanks Tom, any thoughts on the ride height? She's exactly one inch above the manual. Just wondering how the height and drivability turned out with yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1911 View Post
    Thanks Tom, any thoughts on the ride height? She's exactly one inch above the manual. Just wondering how the height and drivability turned out with yours.
    I set mine at 5" and have had no problems at all. The 33 corners like a go-cart. I enjoy seeing your progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Once properly aligned, I'd be curious how the bump kit worked out for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Whittaker View Post
    Once properly aligned, I'd be curious how the bump kit worked out for you.
    I'll let you know but at this point using all the spacers may be the way to go, just eyeballing it when I jack the car up. The alignment machine will tell the story later.

Post Thanks / Like
    I swore I'd get something primed today, and the weather finally cooperated a bit.

P3080009.JPGP3080010.JPGP3080012.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin' good Boz! What color are you going with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin' good Boz! What color are you going with?
    Grey primer, can't you tell?

Seriously, probably bright silver on the bottom, dark grey (gunmetal) on the upper with some type of red-orange stripe or graphic as an divider.

By the way I added several layers of fiberglass strips and filler to the rear mounting area of the hardtop to get it to fit better.
    Last edited by Boz1911; 03-09-2014 at 05:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like a nice combo, can't wait to see it.

Did you have to add any reinforcement to the front mounting area of the hardtop? Although there is metal in there, the fiberglass has a seam or gap in the middle where the riv nuts would go. The metal sits above this area and it looks like the fiberglass needs to be trimmed back a bit in order for the rivnut to sit flat. If you have any photos of that area, that would be helpful. Thanks for the update.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Evan I did add some steel reinforced epoxy for the rivnuts. I'm not sure what part your referring to about trimming. I get you some pics when I pop the top again this week.
    The primer reveals a lot of tiny imperfections that I mark with tape as I see them. I'm getting the body unbolted and hope to have it off sometime this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well went from terrorizing the neighbors a week and a half ago to this this afternoon.

P3120018.JPGP3120017.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I "repurposed" a discarded display from my local Kroger supermarket into my body cart. Works great for my car anyway.

P3170020.JPGP3170021.JPGP3170022.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the body primed and filled then primed again then sanded again.................I need stock in 3M. Then got some silver on her.

P3200001.JPGP3200002.JPGP3210006.JPGP3210008.JPGP3210010.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 03-21-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks great Boz! Did you do the painting in your garage or shop? Do you have some sort of paint booth?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcotner View Post
    Looks great Boz! Did you do the painting in your garage or shop? Do you have some sort of paint booth?
    Most of it has been done in the driveway but I'll be using the garage for the clear. I know it won't be a 5-10k show paint job but at least I can say I tried. My original goal was to build a car from the ground up testing any skills I have or don't have including paint. Other than lifting the body on and off no one else has touched this since day one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job! I do not have the skills to paint. You should be proud of what you have done so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom, that means a lot to me.

Here's a few with the gunmetal grey upper. I'm toying with either red or orange (to match my Challenger) pin striping on the color break.

P3220011.JPGP3220012.JPGP3220013.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That looks really good!! My favorite car color is Ford race red which is kind of an orangeish red. My profile picture is my boss 302 which is black and ford race red (my '33 frame is also race red). That is a great color combination. I am planning on using flat black lower and race red upper with a pewter stripe in the middle. I really look forward to seeing your car finished!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job BOZ.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Made a few mistakes but my wife reminded me that I had never painted a car before so that helps when I do goof up. One thing I do like is the Dekups throw away paint liners, they make cleanup a whole lot easier. I didn't get to paint the top, just no physical way to do it in my limited space but the paint for the upper was already reduced so as long as I do the same number of coats it should match okay. Doesn't look like we'll be having good weather for a while so probably work on the chassis/interior details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the two tone Boz. Nicely done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Those paint colors really look good together and a red or orange pin-stripe will set them off even better.
    Nice job!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again guys. The creative part is not my specialty but I did hear somewhere that a light color will add depth to the body lines because it creates a shadow effect which is why I went with a really bright silver up to and above the body lines. My cart worked well except the underside of the dash is not accessible as it is. Guess I'll just jack it up and touch it up later. I'd like to get her cleared within a few weeks but it'll take a couple of sessions considering I have to do all the inside stuff first then do the exterior. I have a guy that will buff the car when I'm finished, supposedly he's really good and loves old cars.
    Now that some of the parts are finished I've been putting them in the house to avoid damage, luckily wifey hasn't said anything yet......

Post Thanks / Like
    P3230014.JPGP3230015.JPG

Sorry for the delay Evan, this top is cumbersome, so I usually wait for help moving or flipping it. I sent you a PM of how I was able to get these installed, hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the paint you might have a certain window that you have to clear coat in..you might want to check it out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbksv View Post
    Depending on the paint you might have a certain window that you have to clear coat in..you might want to check it out...
    I won't make that window. I'll actually be sanding the entire car once again with 6-800 prior to clear coat.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boz, Those colors look great. I vote for matching the challenger with a race hemi orange accent line

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Boz, Those colors look great. I vote for matching the challenger with a race hemi orange accent line
    hmmm... Hemi orange, how would I figure you'd vote for that
    Last edited by Boz1911; 03-26-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes you make a mistake that won't really affect anything in the long run but I had one that really bothered me. Even though I am planning on some polished covers for my door striker bolts the drivers door hole had become a little large with the several month struggle I had making that door work perfectly. Note the size difference between sides. P3170022.JPG. So last Sunday morning I decided to fix it. Three layers of glass mat on the inside then three layers cut to fit the hole, some filler, primer and paint.P3260018.JPGP3260017.JPGP3260019.JPG
    It was the only mistake (and there have been many) that I had not addressed yet. I just couldn't let it go even though it would have been covered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steve Jobs is famous for saying a products beauty goes all the way through it. He obsessed about the order and design of the parts inside his sealed computers, ones that no one ever sees. I like that idea too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just trying to get ready for final assembly, parts and tools everywhere. I had a full page list of things to do while the body was off. I plan on adding the orange stripe after the car is assembled so that I can get it straight with the hood and doors mounted. Sorry for the mess but things are really tight in a two car garage.

P4040020.JPGP4040021.JPGP4040022.JPGP4040023.JPGP4040024.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm impressed Boz, very clean build. Can't wait to see it all put together. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Boz, just curious I see u have you trunk aluminum in place, any problems w fitting the body back on. I wanted to rivet all my in but wasn't sure if I should

Thanks, Ang

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by amasciarelli21 View Post
    Hi Boz, just curious I see u have you trunk aluminum in place, any problems w fitting the body back on. I wanted to rivet all my in but wasn't sure if I should

Thanks, Ang
    The side pieces are just in position so that I have a little flexibility with them on the install. I will tape them up before install. Trunk floor goes in after body. Or at least that's my plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Boz, I, ll plan on doing the same, Awesome build by the way have enjoyed following your build pages, Look forward to seeing it finished.

Ang

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I can actually see the finish line. Someone asked me the other day if I would do it again and the answer was definately yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Boz, I just got your PM and saw your pics regarding the riv-nuts on the underside of your hardtop. So, you filled in the seam? Mine has a huge opening all the way across the bottom side of the hardtop. I will take pictures next week as I will be at work Sunday and Monday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Boz, I just got your PM and saw your pics regarding the riv-nuts on the underside of your hardtop. So, you filled in the seam? Mine has a huge opening all the way across the bottom side of the hardtop. I will take pictures next week as I will be at work Sunday and Monday.
    Sorry I had forgotten that I had filled the seams, it was a good opportunity to start body work practice..........

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast