BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Subaru Fuel Sender ohm range

Post Thanks / Like

Subaru Fuel Sender ohm range

Can anyone verify that the Subaru (2002) reads 0.5 to 2.5 Ω (FULL) and 50 to 52 Ω (EMPTY) and also looks like it uses 2 sending units wired in series (summed sender)

I found it below

1998_impreza_fuel_gauge_resistance.jpg
    The Boyd tank will show the reverse fuel level as sending unit (Centroid) will not work with the stock WRX/STi cluster as the Centroid sender is 0-90 ohms not 90-0 ohms. Time to talk to Centroid to see if they can program for a summed 90-0 sender.

I talked to Centroid tonight and anyone using a Boyd tank with a Centroid sender (0/90) needs to order a 100/0 Yamaha as this has been programed with a linear range and also you need to get damping option (since the Subaru used summed senders to prevent slosh) the damping will help prevent that.
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 04-18-2014 at 01:05 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct on the idea that you have to add the two sensors. Some have discussed reversing the float mechanism, but since I haven't checked mine yet, I don't know whether it is right or not yet and what is involved with "switching the float." But they didn't make it sound like a big deal. Discussions also said the cluster has a delay feature built in, so that other thing may not be needed. I'm running electric now, I'll fix it if it's broke.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for helping me understand why my fuel gauge is reversed. So I need to purchase and install the Yamaha 100/0 sender and replace the Centroid?
    Is there any reason not to leave it reversed as is (besides the fact its backwards of course)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Thank you for helping me understand why my fuel gauge is reversed. So I need to purchase and install the Yamaha 100/0 sender and replace the Centroid?
    Is there any reason not to leave it reversed as is (besides the fact its backwards of course)?
    If you have the Boyd tank, seems they use a float sender not a centroid sender and looks like you can just reverse the float and that will fix your issue.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress