Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ray's hotrod

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a piece of emery cloth or good sand paper in 180 or 150 grit, sand it down a little bit, it will fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Got it to go. Thanks for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Time to update the thread. Finished the steering system:
    WIN_20140119_143858.JPGWIN_20140119_143850.JPG

Finished the rear brakes and the brake lines:
    WIN_20140123_193819 (2).JPGWIN_20140119_143936.JPGWIN_20140119_143915.JPG

Assembled and install rear end:

WIN_20140123_193745.JPGWIN_20140123_193716.JPGWIN_20140119_143728.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One the more intimidating aspects of this project, for me anyway, is the wiring. I can put it off no longer....

WIN_20140126_182505.JPGWIN_20140126_182434.JPGWIN_20140126_180547.JPGWIN_20140126_171720.JPGWIN_20140126_171657.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking great, same fear and step as I am on. I am deconstructing most of the dash harness to make it look better and remove those lines that I don't need. Good luck!
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks and good luck to you too!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Ray! I am also starting on the harness which just like you is pretty intimidating to me too. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good luck to you too! It is cool to see that there are several of us on the same step. I ordered my kit in two phases due to storage issues. I just placed the order for the next batch of parts. I am still not sure where I will keep the body parts as I finish up. That is a good problem to have! Too much fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Met with my local Ford Racing guy (aldridgemotorsportsinc.com) to get the final quote for my engine/tranny combo. I will be getting an aluminator XS (TiVCT 5.0 Ford enhanced a bit with Cobrajet components) and T56 transmission. I can't wait to hear it roar!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Its been a busy week after a bit of time off for lack of parts. I ordered my engine and transmission. I can't wait to see my aluminator XS in person!
    aluminator.jpgt56.jpg

My gas tank arrived.
    WIN_20140213_203908.JPG

Got the firewall prepped for lizard skin application. I wish I would have done this BEFORE I riveted the firewall to the frame. Oh well, I'm a rookie, live and learn.
    WIN_20140213_203856.JPG

Painted my ford racing differential girdle and bolted it on.
    WIN_20140213_203945.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I was intimidated by the wiring as well. Just follow the book and the wiring is well labeled. Wasn't an issue at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome Ray. That motor is really nice.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Evan! Yeah, definitely overkill (if thats possible ). At the end of the day I am a tech junkie and I am enamored with the technology in this engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dagall View Post
    I was intimidated by the wiring as well. Just follow the book and the wiring is well labeled. Wasn't an issue at all.
    Thanks dagall. I find that is true with a lot of things. Always seems scary looking forward and not so much looking back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcotner View Post
    Met with my local Ford Racing guy (aldridgemotorsportsinc.com) to get the final quote for my engine/tranny combo. I will be getting an aluminator XS (TiVCT 5.0 Ford enhanced a bit with Cobrajet components) and T56 transmission. I can't wait to hear it roar!
    Ray,
    if you are going to use the Ford Racing intake manifold (pictured) be sure to get the modified hood (raised) as the stock hood won't clear that manifold.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Nevin. I ordered the kit with the modified hood. I am glad they offered that as an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tires on and on the ground for the first time. This is getting really fun now!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here are a couple pics to my very high tech paint booth and a shout out to my factory five wheels. They look great!!
    paint booth.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is the wheel pic...
    wheel.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Those look great Ray, very nice.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boy! That red frame looks awesome! You are doing a fine job, you should be proud. Soon it will be go-cart time. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Wallace and Evan. Means a lot coming from you guys. I hope to have it running in a couple months!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Finally got the brakes bled. First time for me around that problem and I am glad it is done. I did make a rookie with an impact wrench mistake today. I cross threaded a lug nut. Are there any tools for cleaning up threads or am I stuck pulling the hub and having the lug pressed out and replaced?

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got the brakes bled. First time for me around that problem and I am glad it is done. I did make a rookie with an impact wrench mistake today. I cross threaded a lug nut. Are there any tools for cleaning up threads or am I stuck pulling the hub and having the lug pressed out and replaced?
    If it's not too bad you can use a 1/2 - 20 die to clean things up, keep it well lubed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I polished out the bearing. That way you are not removing the nickle plating on the shaft and it won't rust.
    Firewall and steering column in. Quick question, how does one get the DD shaft through the firewall bearing?? It is not going to fit. It seems a bit weird to have to grind the shaft down but it may be the only way.

Attachment 24546Attachment 24547Attachment 24548

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wheel spacers arrived and installed (before and after pictures below) I definitely like the wider stance.

WIN_20140316_190356.JPG0226141913.jpgWIN_20140316_204149.JPG

Dynaliner started. I have decided to go with lizard skin on the outside of the firewall and Dynaliner on the inside.

WIN_20140316_204056.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    DSCN0583.JPGRay, are you running A/C? I'm at that point and have run into an issue with A/C compressor fittings. The compressor belt install looks to tough but in fact is not that bad. If you are ready soon to put the engine let me know and I will give you some pointers, i.e., headers, sequence, alternator with pictures etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool build Ray!
    Love the frame color and the chrome really sets it off well (what color / theme will the body be?)

Great choice on the wheels, they really look good. (what size tires are you running? Rears look meaty. I LIKE!)
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't plan to run AC. In western Oregon it is possible to get by without it. I just dropped the engine in. I would love some pointers! The more pictures the better! Thanks!!
    Last edited by rcotner; 05-08-2014 at 01:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    MP tech, thanks! The frame color seems to get a lot of attention. It is Ford performance red. I used to have a 2001 mustang cobra in that color and fell in love with it. I will be using a similar scheme as my Boss 302 (see my profile pic). I really like the red and black combo. My tires are 315R20 nice and fat. Thanks for the nice words!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Aluminator has finally arrived! Three months in the building. It is a beautiful piece of engineering. I wish I had the skills and confidence to build my own but I have to admit that this beautiful chunk of mustang aluminum makes me very happy. 500+ hp, 2200 lb car, no traction control. It is a good thing I am basically a cautious guy!

DSCF0194.pngDSCF0197.pngDSCF0191.pngDSCF0199.pngDSCF0200.pngDSCF0198.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive Ray. That hotrod is gonna fly. Congrats on getting the motor in...Hugh milestone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Evan!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the engine install, looks awesome. I originally thought about that route but got pushed into building my own. I went old school but now I'm already looking at fuel injection to modernize mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray, I found that the right header will not bolt up without lifting the engine, removing the motor mount and starter if you are using the studs and nut, there is one nut that will not slide on nor can you get a wrench on it without doing these steps. I found the left header easier and no lifting needed. I have the same intake and am looking at how to get the filter in place with the hood on, it's going to be a challenge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Don,

Thanks for the heads up. I had plannned on using bolts as opposed to studs and nuts. I had intened to use the 12 point low profile bolts. I wonder if this will work without lifting and removing stuff.

Did you get the hood with the bump in it? If so do you still have intake clearance issues?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1911 View Post
    Congrats on the engine install, looks awesome. I originally thought about that route but got pushed into building my own. I went old school but now I'm already looking at fuel injection to modernize mine.
    Thanks Boz! Good luck with the FI upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here are a few more pictures of the engine and grill post install. I hope to post the first start video soon!!

DSCF0205.JPGDSCF0206.JPGDSCF0207.JPGDSCF0208.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some shots of the air filter system, not sure what to do yet about mods to get inside of the hood. I found a Ford adaptor to allow the oil filter to remain in place, it should arrive today, if you look at the Hot Rod project car they have their oil filter in the stock location but canted up.
    DSCN0597.JPGDSCN0602.JPGDSCN0603.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray if you will need a vacuum fitting for the fuel pressure regulator, the Boss engine has the correct fitting to mate up the spigot on the left front the SCJ intake. I will have the part no. later today or tomorrow. One of the wiring changes needed is to re-pin the harness connector from the throttle body to the engine harness, it is not easy when you try to remove the wires from the old connector, I found the easiest way was to carefully cut the old connector apart using a dremel with a very small cutter because it's so difficult to get a very small screwdriver under the tiny plastic tabs that release the pins for removal. I'm also using Mustang Coyote heater hoses because of the push connector that comes with the hose, of course that's only if you are going to use a heater. When installing the MAF sensor remember the electrical plug to connect is in the Coyote harness (labeled), look for a 6 pin connector in the coyote harness that will need to be removed and the connector you need is plugged into the throttle body harness provided, at least mine was and it took a while to figure it out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast