Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roll Call: Buttonwillow Raceway April 9-10

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Roll Call: Buttonwillow Raceway April 9-10

Round Three of the West Coast Challenge Series will be contested at Buttonwillow Raceway April 9-10, 2011. After two "challenging", back-to-back races at Infineon Raceway in February and March, the Challenge Series racers will head south for a weekend of racing action in California's Central Valley.

In addition to a full slate of regular sprint racing action, the weekend will also feature the 2011 season opener for the NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship (WERC). Rumor has it that several Challenge Series drivers and Factory Five Racing (FFR) car owners will be on hand for all of the racing action......So, time to declare....Who's in?

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be there. Also planning on running the Enduro with Tom in his car.

John George inspired me so we will have a live video feed in car for Saturday/ Sunday races and possibly the Enduro. Stay tuned for the live video link and schedule.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    NICE!! live feeds! cant wait.. make sure to do the math for me EST vs PST when you post times
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Live track feeds can be seen at: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chiroracing
    Live Racing Times in PST (if you are from the Midwest add 2 hours or East Coast add 3 hours)
    Saturday:
    8:40 AM Warmup
    10:45 AM Qualifying
    3:20 PM Race
    6:10 3 hour Enduro Race

Sunday:
    9:00 AM Warmup
    11:05 AM Qualifying
    3:20 PM Race

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jeff....Looks like we'll have three Challenge cars for the Buttonwillow competition. No word fron John Teaby, but we know Mike Beeler will be there to compete with you and Tom.

Really excited that you and Tom will be co-driving the enduro. You guys have been working overtime to get that car ready, and I'm sure it's in top notch condition.....You're gonna have a ton of fun!! 26 teams registered, including the Coupe and the GTM.

Roman Vaisman inspired us, and led the effort to develop live video feeds for Team Thunder Valley Racing last year....It's very cool you guys are taking this to the next level.

See you tomorrow!

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I can't make this weekend.
    The tax man took my racing cash.
    I will be watching Jeff's live track feeds.
    Good luck to all and be safe.
    JT
    IEM Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    So non-challenge Roadsters can be in this event as well??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lucky Winner....Before I answer your question, I want to take this opportunity to send along my heartfelt thanks for your service. I follow all of your posts, and the ones from late last week regarding the conditions in which you and your colleagues are serving were cause for sending many thoughts your way. We'll be thinking about you big time at the upcoming Huntington Beach event, and will look forward to the day when you are here raising a glass with us. Stay safe, and we'll all be looking forward to your safe return.

The NASA event this weekend at Buttonwillow will feature a full range of racecars and lots of racing action. The Challenge Series guys will compete in their regular sprint races in the third round of the West Coast Championship. I will be driving the Coupe in one of the race group sessions during the day, and then our Coupe, the race GTM fielded by Team PDG, as well as a Challenge Series roadster driven by Jeff Awender and Tom Coon will all compete in a 3 hour day-night endurance race to be held 6-9 PM on Saturday evening. We have 30 cars signed up for the enduro, with everything from a Norma-type racer to a field of Miatas, BMW's, and Porsches (and the FFR's) competing on track in the nightime hours.......Jeff Awender will be testing some real time race video and we hope you will tune in and join us on the ride.....

Team Thunder Valley Racing and all of the Challenge Series racers will be dedicating this weekend's race to you Lucky Winner, and to all of our troops serving with courage and strength in distant lands so all of us can be free to drive/enjoy such great cars. This one's for you!

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 04-08-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen, I dont know what to say. I can say Im moved and I thank you and the rest of the Challenge Series Racer for the honor. I wish that I had the bandwidth to watch the race on my computer. I cant wait to meet all of you in H.B. and also cant wait to have all of you to my house on delivery day so that my wife and I can meet all of you guys in the area. One day when Im at the track getting ready for my first Road Race, I hope youre there so I can pick your brain. You have become a legend in FFR racing and you should be very proud of what you have accomplished. Now go win anther one Karen!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got video working. Last video was from enduro. I drove first 45 min and Tom coon drove last 30 min of video. Finished 20th overall and 5th in class.

Will have video working for Sunday qual and race. Stay tuned.

J

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant wait!! It worked over here, just no sound. Did the video go out? I was watching then all the sudden the video went out. Will try to watch again tonite. Good Luck!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry looks like we had some technical issues. We are using a new program that is based on an Android Phone. I'll have HD video posted in a few days.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Buttonwillow Raceway
    Salute to Our Troops Race Report

Three Factory Challenge Series racers made the trek to California's Central Valley for Roun 3 of the West Coast Challege Series.Jeff Awender was the first to arrive Friday afternoon, and quickly unloaded his racecar and strapped in to get some much needed seat time on a racetrack configuation that he had never driven before. As luck would have it, Jeff arrived under darkening skies, and took to the track just as the clouds opened up to a steady rain. Driving on shaved Toyo RA1's (and fresh off last month's racing in downpour conditions at Infineon all weekend), Jeff drove masterfully, piloting his yellow/white Challenge car around Buttonwillow in the rain. The rain turned to snow up in the local mountains, forcing racer Mike Beeler to take the long route over Highway 58 from the LA area to avoid the treacherous Grapevine/I-5. As it turned out, Mike navigated his rig through a small bizzard along the way, and arrived at the track by nightfall. Tom Coon, arrived later in the evening with his endurop and spec racing prepared Challenge racer. Karen had arrived earlier in the day for a test and tune with her Coupe in preparation for the night enduro the next day, and the group headed to town for some social time before the racing commenced the next day.

Saturday morning arrived bright and beautiful, and morning warm-up went well for everyone. Qualifying found Mike Beeler posting top time and securing pole position for the race. Jeff Awender would be an eye blink behind, with Tom Coon rounding out the field. Race start found Mike, Jeff and Tom all battling hard for position. The FFR's were in a mixed group of Camaro-Mustang Challenge and American Iron racers, so it was a hornets nest at Turn 1 following the green flag. Mike and Jeff and Tom would skillfully dance their way through traffic, managing to avoid competitors in other classes spinning off track or dropping wheel, all the while keeping their sights on their competitor. All raced clean though, and at the checkered, it was Jeff Awender for his first victory at Buttonwillow Raceway, with Mike Beeler a close second, and Tom Coon, again, dropping his lap times to an all-time personal best and securing the thrid spot on the podium.

Jeff and Tom would team up in Tom's Challenge Series racer for the 3-hour enduro later that evening. Enduro race report from Jeff and Tom to follow.

Sunday warm-up was without incident, and following tradition here on the West Coast, the Qualifying session was held as Qualifying Race with an inverted field. The racers were again paired up witht the CMC and AI cars, and with Tom on pole, the group took the green and quickly found themselves going from 5-wide to a 2-car space in Turn 1. Mike snaked into the lead, and roared through the Buttonhook, the Grapevine, the Bustop and into Taledega leadning Jeff all the way. Tom Coon drove with precision and excellence, and had Jeff's car clean in his sights entering Talledega as well. By the time the racers arrived at Sunset and were ready to make the turn onto the front straight, Jeff took the inside, held the power an instant longer, and applied some heavy braking, drifting onto the front straight and into the lead. Mike kept Jeff within striking distance, and each used traffic between one another and their fellow competitors, all the while Tom kept chipping away at his laptimes throughout the race. Jeff would go on for the win, with Mike taking second place, and Tom finishing in the third position.

The main race would find Jeff on pole, and at the green it was Mike and Jeff dueling for position down the front straight. Jeff would take the lead, with Mike in close range the whole race. Tom would post his best lap of the weekend (Congratulations!), and after a late race full course caution, and Mike Beeler giving great chase the whole way, Jeff Awender would go on to sweep the weekend with his 3rd win.

Our Challenge Series drivers again impressed the spectators and their fellow racers with good, clean racing, and each should be commended for their skillful driving in what was at times, a chaotic race environment. Everyone avoided incidents, and our drivers were among the best of the best in the field. These are great cars, and our group definately has the fun factor on overdrive!!! Kudos to everyone for a great weekend!!

Next event: May 13-14, Thunderhill Raceway

Karen
    PS....Lucky winner.....Thanks for the kind words....As a fellow veteran (USAF, 8th Air Force (SAC), 42nd Bomb Wing), it's an honor to recognize your service, and I will be looking forward to the day when we meet!!! Stay safe!
    Last edited by vnmsss; 04-13-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Sundays Qual Race Video has been uploaded...

http://vimeo.com/22314480

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice smooth driving!
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,
    Nice run off those two corners to get by your competitor, just the way I would have done it ! ........... That is , if I raced cars

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by DrAwender View Post
    Sundays Qual Race Video has been uploaded...

http://vimeo.com/22314480