Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Honolulu 818S Hana (work/build) Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    What a tease. One soapy shot and two with water drops. Like other guys, I look forward to the professional-quality shots of this outstanding 818. (or, a soapy shot of the hula girl)

I really look forward to seeing how you'll do the interior. I somewhat copied your E-brake mounting and used your source for seat belts so I know I'll love your interior ideas.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me add my voice to the choir, your decision to reshape the roll bar has been a home run! That mod has given the car a refined look that puts it in a class by itself (cliche alert!). Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tango68ss View Post
    Nice! Black is the new Orange! LOL!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!!! Can not wait to see it all done, awesome job! Love the wing on the back too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiny View Post
    What was the rear spoiler from? It goes really well with the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    That doesn't hurt but I would recommend an aluminum "metal prep" as a last step before painting aluminum. Like Afterblast which etches and leaves a zinc phosphate coating.
    Carry on... nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Quiny Tiburon

Scargo zinc phosphate etching is more for steel than aluminum, his aggressive scratching/etching should work fine since aluminum doesn't have a flash oxidation issue like steel
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    Car looks amazing Aloha.
    Quote Originally Posted by 305mouse View Post
    That looks really really good. I like the two hoops and even the red seats, which I didn't think I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by waruaki View Post
    Every inch a fantastic build!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Stunning!
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    I never really liked the orange on the 818, but I like the black. I hate red seats and not a fan of the spoiler off the car, but you made it work nicely man. Looking like a car, and besides my love for white, blue, gunmetal and red on this car, the black is totally on my list with your beautiful body work. Now be careful and drive it fast.
    All, thanks very much for the compliments and I'm glad you all are generally pleased with my choices in colors and mods!

As you are all in the family, so to speak, and can actually understand what it requires to make all these decisions and then successfully execute on them.

I have to say I really liked the orange builds, but we can't all choose the same color. I was hoping that with the design of the car, the mods I'm making and the quality if the exterior finish that just being black will still garner attention. I had the car out of the garage again today and everybody in the area kept stopping by to stare and talk!

The spoiler is from a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, I stole the idea from Wallace (along with the Hollywood mirrors that I haven't put on yet). In my opinion no one could design a better spoiler, even if starting from scratch. The spoiler completely matches the width and the angles and looks exactly like it was designed for the 818. Wallace did good on finding the match. An added bonus is the 3rd brake light.

The red seats were definitely a gamble. Black would have been a safe choice. But hey, I wanted a little flash!
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Wow. Now let's see some sunset/golden hour pics with a good camera. Wish I was there!
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Erik-

I agree with one modest addition. I was hoping he could do the sunset picture with the girl in his avatar! To me, that would be perfect.

Awesome car with a stunning model at a location as close to heaven as there is. In my opinion at least.

The car is simply amazing, and I can't wait to see the final pictures!

Regards,

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    Not sure if its the color, or the custom touches like the roll hoops, or the obsessive attention to detail of door gaps and panel alignment, or the excellent body prep, (or all of the above), but you can really see how great the FFR design looks with this car. It really does look awesome.

Maybe Jims design has grown on us a little, or maybe over time all the visions of what we individually wished for from all the design contest prototypes have faded, but wow, that just looks sooo good (and I'm not usually a fan of black cars). The way the curves of fender and Q panel flow, the vents, the aggressive look of the rear fender flares and humps. Just fantastic.

You've made FFR's vision really come to life. I'd like to see FFR look at incorporating some of your designs into the next 818 revision. Especially the roll hoops, sunken license plate (though I realize that complicates things for euro plates, 818 is a World Car), etc.
    Thanks all for commenting and the compliments.

As soon as I get finished and get some tags I will for sure grab a couple models and a photographer and some beach shots! If you've ever been to Honolulu you know there is no shortage of hotties around.

Oppenheimer, Hula Girl is blushing. I really need to get some better pics. What I have posted so far still does not really show how beautiful and sexy this car is. Each little detail helps refine the overall design. The windshield glass install will really help, but when you look at my 818 it doesn't not "feel" like a "kit"car.
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    What a tease. One soapy shot and two with water drops. Like other guys, I look forward to the professional-quality shots of this outstanding 818. (or, a soapy shot of the hula girl)

I really look forward to seeing how you'll do the interior. I somewhat copied your E-brake mounting and used your source for seat belts so I know I'll love your interior ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Let me add my voice to the choir, your decision to reshape the roll bar has been a home run! That mod has given the car a refined look that puts it in a class by itself (cliche alert!). Congrats.
    Thanks so much guys! Soapy Hula Girl shots, maybe a Carl Jr's (?) Ad?

Tomorrow I start on the interior, we will see how that goes. I have also ordered the technical bits to start the bikini top mod.

Post Thanks / Like

Vent screen, rear lighting

Spent the day continuing to work on the exterior. Finished adjusting the passenger door and installing the catch.

Then moved on to the hood vents. I had originally planned on wrapping the FFR screen cover in carbon fiber film and installing as per the manual. The more I kept thinking about it I couldn't get my head around the fact that there would be about a 3/16" gap between the backside of the trim and the screen. So I put on back burner while I thought about it. Then I installed the screen, no trim, on the front wheel and rear wheel vents. I had planned on this and made sure I prepped and painted ahead of time. In my opinion it looks good and clean. You notice the mesh (powder coated satin black, BTW), but does not jump out and make you pay attention. I wanted the same for the rest of the mesh on the car.

In preparation for the glass install I needed some trim to wrap the inside edge of the windshield surround before they installed the glass. The FFR cap trim that I removed from the outside of the windshield surround would have worked but it was a little too short. I stopped by O'Riely auto parts and picked up some protective door edge trim, it's black plastic and has a small amount of adhesive in inside. Worked perfect for the surround.

Then I started thinking that this also might work for the edge of the fiberglass around the rest of the mesh. Did a little sample and looked perfect, so back to O'Riely. Of course this meant recutting all the fiberglass edges again, this time on completed painted/finished panels!

This trim is a little narrower than the FFR trim and bends pretty good on the inside radius. I laid it out on top of tape, 3/8" in from the surrounding edges and used a 1" socket to trace the corners, about the min dim to not deform the trim.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then I reinstalled the gas filler (new design)

image.jpg

Then on to the rear, reinstalled the lights, the license plate holder, installed some small LED lights over the license plate (in the overhang), then the same cut, install trim, install mesh on the lower area. Some will not like my choice of how I have my exhaust outlet. It's on one side and comes out at a little angle. It's as straight of an exit possible and leaves me some room for a trunk. Kind of like a crooked baseball cap! I have about 3/8" gap between the tip and the black plastic trim, we will see if that's enough.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job on the edging around the vents, I'm also struggling with the vents and the gaps when you put screen behind and trim in front of the bodywork. My orange vent screens and white body don't translate as easy as the black tho

With the finished paint it didn't look good w/o trim at all?

I'm playing with exhaust right now, how much does your engine rock when under power etc... I'm thinking that unless we either increase mount stiffness and/or add an anti torque strut like Subaru used on the transmission we will have issues where the pipe exits the body. Joe at FFR tells me 3/4 inch is adequate clearance to the fiberglass based on their Cobra experience over the years
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking great!!!!!
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job on the edging around the vents, I'm also struggling with the vents and the gaps when you put screen behind and trim in front of the bodywork. My orange vent screens and white body don't translate as easy as the black tho

With the finished paint it didn't look good w/o trim at all?

I'm playing with exhaust right now, how much does your engine rock when under power etc... I'm thinking that unless we either increase mount stiffness and/or add an anti torque strut like Subaru used on the transmission we will have issues where the pipe exits the body. Joe at FFR tells me 3/4 inch is adequate clearance to the fiberglass based on their Cobra experience over the years
    Thanks!

I originally planned to use the FFR supplied trim on the hood and the rear bumper, so I didn't prep/paint the edge. Then changed my mind. By using the black plastic trim these two areas look very similar to the thin rounded edges on all the brake vents.

Not sure how much the engine rocks yet. I plan on building a brace for the exhaust tip just behind the screen so it stays put and let the exhaust system flex with the engine. If too much I will probably brace the engine too.

Did you ever figure out how to trim the sides below the engine cover between the back of the seats and the door opening?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great!!!!!
    Thanks Metal!

Post Thanks / Like

Glass installed!

It's been a light week for me at work so I was able to devote most of my time to the build.

Today I built a couple brackets to hold the transmission (auto) cooler. It is placed just behind the drivers side quarter vent opening

image.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, by building misc brackets I eliminated all the FFR designed hood pins. I did use a set of keyed locks to lock/hold down the rear of the trunk. The lock started out as a NRG carbon fiber locking hood pin set. But I thought it looked cleaner with just the cylinder showing. Not a lot of load here anyway. Crappy pic, sorry.

image.jpg

I've been debating on how/what color to paint the hoops. Since I know that with the engine cover sitting on them and installing/removing my future bikini top brace that the paint will get scratched up and look worn later. If I painted the body color then it would be a lot of work to touch up. So I went a little different route and painted the hoops and the aluminum rear and lower covers with spray on bedliner. A little texture and will be easier to touch up if and when needed.

image.jpg

Also tried my hand at upholstery work. I wrapped the firewall with leather (faux) and screwed in placed. I need to take a better pic. Was a little rushed today, going to the Jack Johnson concert tonight at the Waikiki Shell.

image.jpg

About the time I was finishing up wrapping the panel the glazer showed up and put the windshield in. Starting to look like a real car now! I also installed that black plastic trim around the inside edge of the windshield surround first and then used the PGW17JR rubber trim around the glass.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    No build progress today. Enjoyed the day with the family. Had a great time at the Jack Johnson concert last night. Not your typical type of concert, more family oriented. Proceeds for the show go to the Kokua Hawaii Foundation, a non profit for environmental education in Hawaii.

No better place to enjoy a concert as the Waikiki Shell, pit in front of the stage, then some actual seating, and then a huge grassy area to sit on blankets and enjoy the fantastic Hawaiian weather! We bought seat, pit passes and also spread out a blanket (needed nap before concert from working on 818 all day).

image.jpg

Then when the show started getting going, down to the pit, up close and personal.

image.jpg

Starting to enjoy life a little now that paint and prep is over!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did you make the car longer? It looks like it in the photos. I can't wait to see more. I really like that spoiler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloha818 View Post
    Thanks!

I originally planned to use the FFR supplied trim on the hood and the rear bumper, so I didn't prep/paint the edge. Then changed my mind. By using the black plastic trim these two areas look very similar to the thin rounded edges on all the brake vents.

Not sure how much the engine rocks yet. I plan on building a brace for the exhaust tip just behind the screen so it stays put and let the exhaust system flex with the engine. If too much I will probably brace the engine too.

Did you ever figure out how to trim the sides below the engine cover between the back of the seats and the door opening?
    FFR puts that piece of aluminum between the frame and the striker bracket, that leaves the bolts showing. I'm planning on making an aluminum cover and my interior will be covered in black vinyl, FFR did it with carpet, looks like it is just laying over the bolts

FFR door carpet.jpg
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    About the time I was finishing up wrapping the panel the glazer showed up and put the windshield in.
    Mind sharing how much it cost to get the wind shield installed (rough ball park)? I'm trying to research to see if I can do this but if it's cheap enough I'd just let a pro do it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the flatness and texture of the rollbars. I think you made the right coating choice here. Adds a nice contrast with the shiny body. Durable. Won't show fingerprints. Bars are for utility, so this is the correct appearance IMO.

It would be a little cheesy, but did you consider adding a second, fake exhaust tip to the other side to add visual balance?

You do realize that now when anyone from FFR community goes on vacation to Honolulu they are going to want to see your car?

FFR Honolulu ToDo list:
    - Waikiki Beach
    - Pearl Harbor
    - Diamond Head
    - Hula Girl & FFR 818

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You do realize that now when anyone from FFR community goes on vacation to Honolulu they are going to want to see your car?

FFR Honolulu ToDo list:
    - Waikiki Beach
    - Pearl Harbor
    - Diamond Head
    - Hula Girl & FFR 818
    Ditto .

It just becomes another way to meet some great people. You just have to keep track of the time. It will pass quickly without you realizing.....

You've done an outstanding job and I'm eager to see it complete with a Hawaiian sunset in the background.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Aloha,
    I'm checking your updates first when I find time to check in with FFR forum. You never disappoint. The car looks awesome, and I like the rollbar mods, licence plate recess and other details. Hope you don't mind if I copy a couple ideas......
    Thanks to your detail pics and updates, I don't feel as intimidated by the bodywork. Thanks for showing the rest of us. I'm just getting the suspension and engine put together so I'm along ways off, but looking forward to the bodywork now.
    Keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    Did you make the car longer? It looks like it in the photos. I can't wait to see more. I really like that spoiler.
    Thanks for asking. No, one thing I didn't modify was the frame and overall dimensions. Must be the black paint, just like a woman in a black dress. Makes her look thinner and taller!

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR puts that piece of aluminum between the frame and the striker bracket, that leaves the bolts showing. I'm planning on making an aluminum cover and my interior will be covered in black vinyl, FFR did it with carpet, looks like it is just laying over the bolts

FFR door carpet.jpg
    Thanks Dan. Post pics if you get there before me. I'm working in interior now too. I'll do the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Mind sharing how much it cost to get the wind shield installed (rough ball park)? I'm trying to research to see if I can do this but if it's cheap enough I'd just let a pro do it. Thanks
    Thanks for joining in and posting. I paid $125 which included suppling the PGW17JR rubber moulding, primer for adhesive, adhesive and installation. I might have gotten a deal as the installer (professional) is the brother of one of my friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the flatness and texture of the rollbars. I think you made the right coating choice here. Adds a nice contrast with the shiny body. Durable. Won't show fingerprints. Bars are for utility, so this is the correct appearance IMO.

It would be a little cheesy, but did you consider adding a second, fake exhaust tip to the other side to add visual balance?

FFR Honolulu ToDo list:
    - Waikiki Beach
    - Pearl Harbor
    - Diamond Head
    - Hula Girl & FFR 818
    Oppenheimer, I'm glad you agree with my paint choices. As I have started finishing more of the interior the choice, to me, looks even better.

I'm a symmetrical person, I would really have loved to have dual exhaust exits. But I can't have it all I guess. For trunk space I had to give up the extra piping required. I do think to add a faux exhaust tip would be cheesy. As a whole I'm happy with how it's all turning out. My buddy (amateur photographer) came by today and we started talking about a photo shoot (with some real Hula Girls). Better pics should show it looks fine as is.

Having visitors is always a pleasure here in Hawaii! Please come on and I welcome all to come to see both Hawaii and the 818!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    Aloha,
    I'm checking your updates first when I find time to check in with FFR forum. You never disappoint. The car looks awesome, and I like the rollbar mods, licence plate recess and other details. Hope you don't mind if I copy a couple ideas......
    Thanks to your detail pics and updates, I don't feel as intimidated by the bodywork. Thanks for showing the rest of us. I'm just getting the suspension and engine put together so I'm along ways off, but looking forward to the bodywork now.
    Keep it up.
    Harley, thanks for posting and I'm glad you are enjoying my build and project updates! Copy anything you like and if you need any specific details lot me know. I've copied from metalmaker, Wallace and others, it's all in an effort to get the most we can out of our builds.

Enjoy the bodywork! I hated every minute if it while enjoying it and wouldn't have it any other way. I know, doesn't make sense. But in my opinion, nothing can make this car look more "real" than proper prep and paint! For me it's all fun in the building, although starting to think about what it's going to be like to actually start driving it!

Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much progress today, spent a little more time on a proper wash, cleaning back up after installing the windshield.

I took out the dash, unbolted the top part from the bottom part, and wrapped the top part with faux leather. It's the same material GM uses in their cars for interior. Of course before I actually sprayed the adhesive (special high heat contact cement) I sanded the fiberglass "flat" with 320 grit and cleaned with Lacquer thinner.

Really exited on how great it looks. My friend says its better material than in his new 911.

image.jpg

Still working out what I'm going to do with the bottom part, experiment tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not much progress today, spent a little more time on a proper wash, cleaning back up after installing the windshield.

I took out the dash, unbolted the top part from the bottom part, and wrapped the top part with faux leather. It's the same material GM uses in their cars for interior. Of course before I actually sprayed the adhesive (special high heat contact cement) I sanded the fiberglass "flat" with 320 grit and cleaned with Lacquer thinner.

Really exited on how great it looks. My friend says its better material than in his new 911.

image.jpg

Still working out what I'm going to do with the bottom part, experiment tomorrow.
    Very Nice.

Where did you source the faux leather? I've some samples from Perfect Fit, but it's not easy making a decision using the small patches.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for joining in and posting. I paid $125 which included suppling the PGW17JR rubber moulding, primer for adhesive, adhesive and installation. I might have gotten a deal as the installer (professional) is the brother of one of my friends.
    Thanks for the info! by the way, great color choice with the paint!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    enough with these teaser pics! where's the 3/4 Hawaiian sunshine money shot?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Very Nice.

Where did you source the faux leather? I've some samples from Perfect Fit, but it's not easy making a decision using the small patches.
    I purchased from fabricdaddy.com

image.jpg

Better pic of top of dash

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    enough with these teaser pics! where's the 3/4 Hawaiian sunshine money shot?
    Soon, Soon! As soon as I finish the door panels and dash. Latter in the week.

Post Thanks / Like

Door panels

I have the original smooth door panels. I am wrapping them with the faux leather. The leather is really nice looking and pretty flexible. Able to make some inside and outside corners, but the limit is about 1/2" stretch. The recess in the door panels are too much for the leather to stretch and cover.

So first up I used 5- min epoxy to attach a piece of 1" wide by 3/4" deep u-channel to the forward edge on the back. Then after the epoxy set up I ran a bead of silicone around the channel. The panel is pretty light and flimsy. This worked pretty good to add some strength and hold the front of the panel straight.

image.jpg

Then I sanded the interior side (flat) with 180 grit paper and with a special high heat resistant contact cement I wrapped the inside. I turned the leather around onto the backside about 3/4" to make sure it will not curl off the edge. You can see in the pic about the extent of the stretch. FYI, don't buy contact cement at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. you need to find commercial type with a high heat rating. The easily obtained stuff will delaminate the first time the sun hits it.

image.jpg

So since the leather won't cover in one piece and since there is a nice little recess in the door, and since there is not really a good little storage place for sunglasses and stuff, I found an opportunity for a solution!

First I dry fit the panel and closed the door to see how the frame crosses the door panel, laid down some tape and traced a line. Then I took a piece of poster board and made a template of the face of the recess, marked and cut out of 1/8" aluminum plate. Using the lines on the tape I cut out the center of the aluminum to kind of match the angles. The panel will be slightly recessed, just like the area above, so that the door pull handle will work as designed.

Here is the dry fit.

image.jpg

Then I made some 1" x 1" angles out of aluminum for attachment clips and riveted them to the backside of the face panel. I also countersunk the hole for the rivet. Then after I attached all the clips I bondo'd over the rivets.

image.jpg

On my vertical center console area that I made to hold extra guages, I finished it with a faux black carbon fiber wrap. I don't want to use a lot of this but I figured this door faceplate would look good in it also.

After I sanded the bondo I wrapped the faceplate with the CF wrap and glued some of the FFR carpet on the inside of the recess.

image.jpg

I ran out of time today to rivet the faceplate to the door, but here is what it looks like in place.

image.jpg

Spent some time on the dash also, but since not done Ill finish and take pics tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks great, yeah I learned the hard way on the contact cement from hd or lowes. What kind did you grab
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that looks very OE. Nice work, as always. So 3M 77 spray contact adhesive won't cut it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that door treatment a lot. I may be copying that.

I had been trying to decide what to cover the dash and door panels with. My door pull and the provided aluminum insert are powder coated orange so the black faux leather and carbon fiber look panel would look really sharp.

I love how we all get ideas from each other. Makes this so much more than 'just building a car.'

Larry
    Last edited by K3LAG; 08-07-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It amazing how OEM your build is turning out.

Were you intentionally thinking "Porsche" when you were planning the build?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW. Its amazing what some faux leather, and some genuine creativity, does for the dash and door panel.

As I was reading along I was thinking the AL faceplate could look good bare (you could JB weld the brackets on the back or weld them for real, etc.) But it looks even better with the CF. It adds another layer of contrasting, yet complimentary, colors and textures. That is what is making it look so OEM. Its just amazing. The look is part exotic OEM, part refined racecar. If I had one suggestion, it would be to add some red to things to help blend the seats into the rest of the interior. Kinda like that Porsche shot that Tuna posted (though I don't think you need even that much to get the look). Even just some red stitching in some places.

Can't wait to see what you come up with for that angled sill panel that FFR just uses a big piece of U Channel to cover.

BTW, what did you use to cut out that AL faceplate? It came out so cleanly cut.
    Last edited by Oppenheimer; 08-07-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, yeah I learned the hard way on the contact cement from hd or lowes. What kind did you grab
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Wow, that looks very OE. Nice work, as always. So 3M 77 spray contact adhesive won't cut it?
    I borrowed a tank and sprayer from a friend, I'll get the product info and post. Thanks for the approval and commenting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K3LAG View Post
    I like that door treatment a lot. I may be copying that.

I had been trying to decide what to cover the dash and door panels with. My door pull and the provided aluminum insert are powder coated orange so the black faux leather and carbon fiber look panel would look really sharp.

I love how we all get ideas from each other. Makes this so much more than 'just building a car.'

Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    It amazing how OEM your build is turning out.

Were you intentionally thinking "Porsche" when you were planning the build?
    WOW. Its amazing what some faux leather, and some genuine creativity, does for the dash and door panel.

As I was reading along I was thinking the AL faceplate could look good bare (you could JB weld the brackets on the back or weld them for real, etc.) But it looks even better with the CF. It adds another layer of contrasting, yet complimentary, colors and textures. That is what is making it look so OEM. Its just amazing. The look is part exotic OEM, part refined racecar. If I had one suggestion, it would be to add some red to things to help blend the seats into the rest of the interior. Kinda like that Porsche shot that Tuna posted (though I don't think you need even that much to get the look). Even just some red stitching in some places.

Can't wait to see what you come up with for that angled sill panel that FFR just uses a big piece of U Channel to cover.

BTW, what did you use to cut out that AL faceplate? It came out so cleanly cut.
    Thanks guys for your comments and input.

Yea it's fun to see what others do that you like and don't like for your own build. Kind of like a single collaboration, except YOU get to choose what is best for your 818!

I hadn't seen that Porsche interior before, maybe I should have picked up some red leather! Looks cool. I have some plans for some more red accents, not too much though. My steering wheel has red stitching.

To cut the aluminum I used a jig saw for the corners and angle grinder for the straights, hard work, BTW. Then sanding. Thanks for noticing the clean cuts! 1/8" plate is thicker than you would think.

Hopefully another productive day today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a close up of the the plastic trim stuff you used? I like how it looks finished vs a flat plate but am wondering what the seam looks like. I'd love to have a solid piece but I'm not footing the bill for injection molds.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    How many yards of faux leather did you use to cover the dash and both door panels?

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I'm using

image.jpg

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast