Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shocking Hot Rod problem

Post Thanks / Like

Shocking Hot Rod problem

I built a 33 Hotrod recently that has a shocking problem. Its a tilt wheel utilizing the "I did it" stalk mounted momentary on button. I am using this button to trigger the high beam relay. Heres the problem. Every time you push the button you get shocked. High and low beams work just fine. I tried grounding the steering column and it made no difference. This is a very similar setup to the Russ Thompson turn signal wiring. Even using the same relay. Any ideas?
    Thanks Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    So if you get a shock from the dimmer switch do you get a treat with the horn button? Sorry, to much time in the cage. .. I would say you have a faulty button or loose connection at the button inside the stem..maybe even stripped wire inside. Still getting enough juice to trip the relay but also grounding out through you...Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    the wires to the button just complete a ground path. Theres no positive power there.
    Mike

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well if the wire to button is completing a ground path, then there is 12v going to the button from the relay correct? Sounds like a faulty button or poorly designed part. The button tip must not be isolated from the actual contact point so you are completing the circuit with your finger (assuming the button is metal). Bet if you put a volt meter on the tip of button you get a voltage reading. I've never used one so but that's my guess. Let us know what you find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Arrow head. One side of the button goes to the frame ground. The other side goes to the relay. when the relay is grounded, it fires the latching relay and makes it switch from low to high beams. Don't see any way for it to get power, but I will check it out.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    What is happening is probably an inductive kick. The energy in the magnetic field of the relay has to go some where. The result is a very high voltage spike to keep the current flowing. Simular to the old point system on an ignition coil. It probably happens when you start to let off the switch.

To correct the problem try a capacitor across the switch or a diode across the coil of the relay. The diode also know as a free wheeling diode needs to have the arrow pointing to the plus side of the coil.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem solved. I just am not sure how. While fiddling with the switch and column, I noticed when I pressed the horn button I got a shock as well. 10 times worse then the momentary on button. I remembered from previous builds that the horn button has a terrible ground because its held into the steering wheel hub with an O ring. I ran a ground wire from the horn button to the hub and both problems went away.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Post