BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Donor Title needed?

Post Thanks / Like

Donor Title needed?

In MA, is the title for the donor car needed in order to get through the inspection and registration processes? I'm having trouble trying to get it from the donor's original owner...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump so that someone from MA can see this and respond.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    From everything I have heard the answer is yes you need the title. They want to make sure that you paid sales tax on the donor and that nothing is stolen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in OH. I've heard that legally you don't, as the title generally belongs to the frame which you aren't using. You will need a notarized bill of sale for the donor vehicle or donor vehicle parts, assuming you're in a state that does the notary thing. The receipt shows the purchase price for tax purposes and puts the inspector at ease about the legal status of the components. You basically want the inspector to feel very comfortable that nothing is stolen and everything is above-board and legal. The title will be very helpful in that regard. I was told to put a binder together with all receipts, FFR certificate of origin, and donor title. This helps you look like you know what you're doing and makes life easy for the inspector. You want life to be easy for the inspector. What I've learned so far.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I guess I'm saying, keep trying to get it.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    My problem getting the title is because the original owner is in the Army and got sent off to another state. He no longer has the same address or phone number and I have no way of contacting him. I have the bill of sale, but that's it. I talked to the RMV and state police and unfortunately they cannot do anything for me if the title was never signed over to me. I feel like I'm pretty screwed on this one. Any recommendations??

Post Thanks / Like
    I would buy a really cheap, junker Subaru from someone to get a title. Then cut it in pieces and sell the metal to a scrap yard. I found one on Craigslist for $500 http://annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4694067097.html but you could probably find one for much less if you're patient, and recoup a few hundred dollars in the weight of the metal.

If the title only has to match the 'donor' frame, then you'd be set. It would be a PIA, but better than having an 818 that you can't register.

-Buzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Brainstorming...

Wherever titles are processed in your state, stop there and ask about options. Do you still have the whole donor? If you do , you may be able to go through the process of a replacement title. That'll likely mean paying more taxes in the long run, but a way out.

Separately, try stopping by the local army base and ask about ways of contacting the previous owner. You can probably get somewhere there.

Finally, go to a title search place (like you'd use when buying a house) to see what expertise they may be able to offer or if they can recommend the type of attorney that would know how to resolve your dilemma. I'm sure there's a solution, just might take some digging to find it.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is needed, to veruify the parts are not stolen as well as verify you paid the tax.

If you head to the state police inspection for your VIN without it (the title) you will be sent away.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63