So two days of work and I am finally done reconfiguring my shifter and cables. This is exactly why I did not do this during the race season. I knew I would spend a couple of days making everything work they way I wanted.. and also I did not have the proper length cables or the time to get the job done right. I just made the cables I already had for the five speed Mendiola work.

In order to deal with the cables that were too short, I got a length of 1/4 28 threaded rod and a coupler and extended the shift rod. Of course this also required me to relocate the mount point for the cable on the transaxle.

I made the aluminum bracket as stiff as I could but it still flexed slightly when I shifted gears. Not ideal but It worked for several races and track days.

The proper way to mount the shift cable on the transaxle looks like this.

As you can see much shorter and as a result stiffer.

Now on the drivers side of the cable I needed to modify the sequential shifter that came with the transaxle so it fit in the GTM. My quick and dirty fix for that looked like this.

Now that I had the time I wanted to move the shifter more forward. (Impossible before as the cables were not long enough). The new position allowed me to mount the cables to the shift body in such a way as their was minimal flex.

The first go round I had the cables mounted to the shifter like this.

This allowed for the cables that were too short and the lack of space behind the shifter in the GTM center tunnel.

Now that I had both room behind the shifter in the tunnel and the proper length cables I moved the mount points back.

I also welded them together so they are much stiffer. They form a V shape which is far stiffer then a square welded to a flat surface and the lower bracket has a triangular brace attached to the shifter body again for stiffness.

The final result below.

I installed it and tested it out. The shifts are much more positive now. Lots of work for something that barely looks different, but it was worth it.

John