BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Traveling with my 818.

Post Thanks / Like

Traveling with my 818.

As my 818s is almost done, well with the kit atleast. Im looking to pick up an enclosed trailer and was wondering what works best.

Ive looked at a couple 14x7 trailers and measure the car and it should fit but i dont know if the smaller trailer, both width and weight, are worth the hastle of having to spuzee into a trailer. The door on the 7ft wide trailers is about 6 ft wide and my mirrors are only 6'4" wide but the fold in.

The other thing i was thinking about was how to secure it in the trailer, I got the Cabor fiber spliter which means the underside of the front of the frame is all covered my aluminum, how are you guys tieing the car down in the trailer.

The last thingis about getting in onto the trailer, can you drive in onto the trailer with out using the common 2x6s or are those ramp extentions a must have? (picture below)

Has anyone ever tried to put like a block or a 2x4 into the suspension to keep it from compressing after you have it jacked up. you would jack the front of teh car up, to fully extend the wheels then use a block to keep it there after you remove the jack. seems like you dont really need the suspension when the cars on the trailer anyways, and it would give you way more ride height to get onto the trailer. just a thought.

thanks guys

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be using a Serpent Express (enclosed soft sided trailer), which is 15' (which I use to transport my Challenge car), the soft sides (and side exits) allow me to get in/out fairly easy.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    for tie down I just put straps through the wheels or you can buy net like tie downs that go over the wheel and tire
    always try to cross either the front or back or both right rear wheel to left side of trailer left rear wheel to right side of trailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    I will be using a Serpent Express (enclosed soft sided trailer), which is 15' (which I use to transport my Challenge car), the soft sides (and side exits) allow me to get in/out fairly easy.
    You're going to need help with the serpent too. The dovetail helps but at 4" ride height, I had to remove the splitter and the diffuser and use blocks. This car is low and the front hangs out quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    You're going to need help with the serpent too. The dovetail helps but at 4" ride height, I had to remove the splitter and the diffuser and use blocks. This car is low and the front hangs out quite a bit.
    My challenge car is 3.25" ride height and no issues and I run a splitter, I use different ramps than stock SE ramps, mine are folding aluminum ramps that will accommodate a very very low ride height
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Well there you go! Seriously though it's the amount of front overhang that kills you with the 818. Trust me. I've trailered it at least 6-7 times with the body on and it's not fun mostly because you have to reach so far in from the front to tie down the wheels it's awkward. But we always find a way don't we!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Well there you go! Seriously though it's the amount of front overhang that kills you with the 818. Trust me. I've trailered it at least 6-7 times with the body on and it's not fun mostly because you have to reach so far in from the front to tie down the wheels it's awkward. But we always find a way don't we!
    I'm sure I will hit glitches in my SE and thanks for the heads up as I hope I can make the SE accommodate both cars
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Serpent express, I had it in my mind to build something like this, really glad I asked. Did you just email them and have one delivered or go to a dealer?

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sean,

I saw a system that might work for you. it is basically a rack with adjustment holes and two chocks that fit front and back on the wheel. There is a over the wheel tie down that connects to the rack. I didn't think much about it at first but if you have trouble accessing the underneath of the front, this might work well. you attach the rack directly to the floor of the trailer. Sorry I don't have a link but someone may have it.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I just rented a trailer from U Haul to bring a new/old plow truck home, they have a great system of a strap/net that is attached at the front with a chock. You drive over the net/straps and pull it back over the top of the tire to wrap the tire. It is then ratcheted down tight. Then you could use through the wheel straps to hold the back. I usually tie them criss cross to stop movement. I'll be searching for such a system in the front or I could use my existing through the wheel straps

I use a 16 foot v nose 8 1/2 foot wide enclosed aluminum trailer, I hope to be towing my 818S in it soon, works great with a similar sized Miata and will hold my E30 as well. You will find that an enclosed 14 foot is a bit too short.

While I have a bunch of E track on the floor for bikes and karts I use the D rings that bolt through the frame for cars. You may need to get creative for location for the 818 and longer ramps and supporting the fold down door above the ground will be required. I'm hoping I can do it with aluminum ramps that attach and fold inside the rear door
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 02-25-2015 at 08:00 AM.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Serpent express, I had it in my mind to build something like this, really glad I asked. Did you just email them and have one delivered or go to a dealer?
    I got mine used, there are a few on the west coast for sale, do a search over in http://www.ffcars.com/forums, a guy I challenge car race with has a 16' for sale with new tires, brakes, etc.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    After thinking about it more, i think im going to use the trailer to store the car in and would like something a little more up for the weather, especially for the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep my wife's Miata in my 8.5 x 16 Thule... It is the cheapest secure one car garage you can find! I picked it up 5 yrs old for only $3000, all aluminum.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14