Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: List I made of needed connectors for a complete wiring harness

Post Thanks / Like

List I made of needed connectors for a complete wiring harness

Here is a list I made of needed connectors for a complete 818s wiring harness. I am looking to see if anyone has anything to add or correct me based on my understanding of what is needed to make the car run correctly. For a 2002-2003 harness

Note: Engine harness I didn't post since mostly everything on that harness is needed.
    Note2: The red mark on the front harness is a "I am not sure if needed mark I am guessing we do?"

I am trying to make a complete list of what is needed for those who wish to slim down or DIY your harness. I am planning to identify each connector in a picture once I have some confirmed needed connections to help stream line identification of each connector.This should help people know what they can or can't delete. I already have the whole harness mapped out I just want to streamline with a more useful list.

Front Harness.PNGTurbo Engine bay harness.PNGNA Engine bay harness.PNGInterior connections.PNGInterior connections 2.PNGInterior connections 3.PNGFloor connections.PNGFloor connections 2.PNGRear connections.PNG
    Last edited by redfogo; 09-23-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Though this is too late for me, but have you seen the thread of photos of the '06 connectors by Mechie3?

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...h-Auto-AC-HVAC
    Last edited by AZPete; 09-22-2015 at 11:46 PM. Reason: added thread link
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I dieted my 02 harness, here are a few tips:

The "non-turbo engine model" chart is redundant if you're using the "turbo engine model" - pick one or the other

Add to your highlighted connectors:
    F16, unless you're only running one radiator fan
    F68 main fuse box
    B250 flash memoery connector - needs to be jumpered in order to reflash ECU
    i10, i11, i12 combination meter, these are needed if you're using the stock cluster

The fewer connectors the better
    Consider removing bulkhead (intermediate) connectors that break up the harness:
    F44, F45, F46 Bulkhead wiring harness
    B61, B62 Front wiring harness
    R1, R2, R3 bulkhead wiring harness
    B97, B98, B99 rear wiring harness
    R15, R57, R46, R67, R2, B98, R3, B99 fuel tank intermediate connectors

Remove:
    R47, R68, R69 not needed unless you're reusing the stock emissions purge system
    B279, the EGT sensor is only used for emissions and can be replaced by a 2.2kohm resistor
    B280, B281 Integrated module is not needed

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Consider removing bulkhead (intermediate) connectors that break up the harness
    That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing. In a small car like the 818, I see no reason for the harness to not be one piece. The exception being the engine harness. I am making mine so the engine and transmission connectors (plus all supplemental gauges I have added) can still be disconnected. I'm using Metri-pack connectors for the gauges and transmission harness ends, and will re-use the stock harness connectors for the main engine harnesses.

I chose to keep the Body Integrated Control Unit because it gets involved with a lot of things like instrument cluster lighting, dimmer, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    I chose to keep the Body Integrated Control Unit because it gets involved with a lot of things like instrument cluster lighting, dimmer, etc.
    I kept it as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a list of wires going into the integrated module from:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post183008

From this you can conclude that nearly everything can be deleted. The integrated module controls the input from the dimmer switch on B71 (steering column) to the power applied to illuminate the cluster. You can replace this with a simple on/off switch to illuminate the cluster or wire a constant 12V to always have the cluster illuminated. I'm using the sti cluster so it is always illuminated by default off of the power supplied to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you can delete it if you choose to. However, I'm keeping door switches for foot well lights and the key illumination. I also like to be able to adjust the brightness of the dash since me and the other driver have different preferences for dash brightness. Plus, keeping those features just makes the car seem more finished to me. Besides, I'm a little obsessive in some ways. Having the dimmer control on the stalk and knowing that it didn't do anything would drive me crazy. All depends on what you want.

Larry