BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk4 Wilwood pedal box - Master Cylinder mounting studs are too short

Post Thanks / Like

Mk4 Wilwood pedal box - Master Cylinder mounting studs are too short

The Wiwood pedal box assembly does not take into account the Factory Five mounting bracket that mounts between the Wilwood pedal assembly and the master cyclindars.

The Wilwood factory installed studs are too short. Even if you do not use the washers provided the nylock hex nuts do not come close to seating properly. I would say the studs are approx. 1/4" short if you use the FFR supplied washer and grade 8 nylock hex nuts.

Removing the studs is a complete pain. They are factory installed with locktite red. I applied heat to the stud and jammed two nuts together on the stud in order to remove them with a wrench. I guess you can use a vice grip wrench but that seemed a little cave man.

I spent the afternoon trying to find grade 8 studs ( 5/16-24 ) in the proper length to replace the ones in the wilwood box. Can not find them anywhere.

Is there a specific reason for grade 8 hardware? I found 5/16-24 threaded rod but it is not rated. The only other option is to buy 2" fully threaded bolts from McMastercarr. $36 for two packages of 5. Only need 6.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used blue Loctite on the nuts. Same issue with mine. Jim
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Try this low-height grade 8 locknut. $10 per 10-pack
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    It was really difficult to find but I ended up purchasing 6 grade 8 tap bolts from McMastercarr. Removing the old studs was a complete PITA. I will cut 6 - 1 5/8" studs out of the bolts and loctite them in.

It's the small details that really eat up my time in this build. Taking a good friends advice and have decided to throttle back on the mods. Anytime you deviate from the original plan and design you end up burning endless hours trying to make things work and fit well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump

Post Thanks / Like
    The studs are a little short, but you should be able to use the supplied nuts. They don't thread into the nylock part of the nut all the way, but if the are torqued you should be fine. We have not had a problem with them.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like

Wilwood Pedal Box Studs Too Short - Fixed

Here is my fix to the pedal box issue. I generally choose to err to the side of caution so here it is.

Purchased 6 (5/16"-24X1 3/4") Grade 8 Cap Bolts from McMastercarr and cut them into 1 9/16" long studs.

Applied heat and used two jamed nuts to wrench the factory studs out. Not too much force required.

Replaced studs with and secured with Loctite Red 263.

New studs are approx. 1/4" longer than factory studs and I do not see any issues with clearance.

Pedal Box.JPG