Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: EFI vs Carb

Post Thanks / Like

EFI vs Carb

I know this may open a can of worms, but here it goes got a 5.0 with the EFI, cable harness, and the Box, and there are a couple thing I don't like, 1. looks way to complicated with all the sensors and wirering etc......., and 2. I would like it to look more period correct (65) if I was to just pull all the EFI stuff off the engine what would I be lossing in the line of HP or would it be more, do not care about cold starte-up or MPG, just the proforance part.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Willy,

short answer is that you will not lose anything, with the exception of cold start drivability. Gas mileage will be a bit lower, and you'll need to find someone to tune the carb for you if you don't have the experience, but thats about it.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Just going to be a weekend cruiser.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will lose some drivability. The EFI can easily compensate for low temps and high altitudes - where the carb cannot. That comes in to play if you drive over Beartooth pass or Chief Joseph pass. But, it will still run at those altitudes, so maybe that's not a big deal for you.

If he EFI is properly tuned, you're probably going to lose a little fuel mileage. Cost is not that big of a deal. Big gas stations can be a long ways apart in WY and MT.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    willy, the one thing that can be said for the stock EFI setup you have is it is bullit proof dependable. I'm running an almost bone stock 5.0 setup with a low boost Powerdyne supercharger and it has been very reliable over the 12 years I've been driving it. Get's over 20mpg and is rated at 287 RWHP which keeps me in any pack of big blocks.

They are a plug and play setup and are not complicated, the down sid IS the looks, they do not look period. I'm not trying to tal you out of the change just pointing out the good points of the EFI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plus with a carb you gain the smell of an open fuel container in your garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Several outfits make and sell fuel injection systems that mimic carbs. The systems tend to be pretty pricey ($2,000 new). There are a couple of systems that mimic the four two-barrel carb setups, but they are way expensive ($4,000 and up).

Mike
    A little bit at a time will get it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well have pulled the EFI off and ordered a Quick Fuel Card only time will tell now .

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with a Summit intake, Summit 4 barrel carb, Pertronic electronic dizzy and a Mallory fuel regulator. Provided you correctly orient the new dizzy it should work surprising well. Mine were added but all adjustments to the carb and dizzy were left as they came from the box. Started up in about 2 seconds. Minor start-ability issue is often cleared up with old school starting methods-pumping the gas pedal once or twice before turning her over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice article on prepping and tuning the Summit carb.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/indu...road-test.html