FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: gen 3 coupe motor fit problem

Post Thanks / Like

gen 3 coupe motor fit problem

i started putting motor in tonight 302 with t5 speed motor looks fairly straight and level but tranny shifted toward pass side about 1" any body have this issue?? also looks like
    i will cut out brace in tunnel so i can install shifter

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep gotta cut, I had no idea about it till I called FFR, the coupe is really not set up for the 302 anymore it seems, also the trans tunnel hole for the aluminum panel needs to be cut

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    Yep gotta cut, I had no idea about it till I called FFR, the coupe is really not set up for the 302 anymore it seems, also the trans tunnel hole for the aluminum panel needs to be cut
    did you have issue with tranny crooked

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on your final shifter location, you may have to do some adjusting with the cross braces on the transmission tunnel and the cover. But the rest should be OK. The entire engine/trans is offset to the passenger side approximately one inch. If you look at the motor mounts, you'll see the one on the PS is shorter than the one on the DS. That way the driveshaft lines up properly with the differential, where the U-joint is off-center toward the PS due to the ring and pinion gear inside. All by design.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks i.e.427 thanked for this post
    Likes i.e.427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before you cut anything- send a picture of the trans tunnel.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Depending on your final shifter location, you may have to do some adjusting with the cross braces on the transmission tunnel and the cover. But the rest should be OK. The entire engine/trans is offset to the passenger side approximately one inch. If you look at the motor mounts, you'll see the one on the PS is shorter than the one on the DS. That way the driveshaft lines up properly with the differential, where the U-joint is off-center toward the PS due to the ring and pinion gear inside. All by design.
    mine has whole engine / tranny angled not just offset almost like somthing wrong with mount locations ? i am going to check motor mounts again tonight but i think it is almost impossible to mount them in wrong
    my boxes were labeled passenger side and driver side ,but i guess there is chance they were wrong ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tabor View Post
    Before you cut anything- send a picture of the trans tunnel.

Dave
    shifterlocsl.jpg

here is what i got

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhit View Post
    mine has whole engine / tranny angled not just offset almost like somthing wrong with mount locations ? i am going to check motor mounts again tonight but i think it is almost impossible to mount them in wrong
    my boxes were labeled passenger side and driver side ,but i guess there is chance they were wrong ?
    Hard to tell much from your picture. Blurry and not the best perspective. Assuming the front to back location is correct, does appear though for your engine/trans combination that cross piece is going to have to come out for that shifter location. People have moved the shifter around on the T-5 by fitting an S-10 tailshaft. But that's something you probably wouldn't want to pursue at this point.

For the engine offset, strongly encourage that you think in terms of getting it properly assembled versus there being something wrong with the chassis or chassis mounts. Anything's possible of course. But I highly doubt that's the issue. I'm assuming you have the kit provided Energy Suspension SBF motor and transmission mounts? It's been been a few years since I used those, but I don't recall left or right being marked on the motor mounts. But it should be pretty obvious. Look at the motor mounts and look at the mount locations in the chassis. The bolt and guide pin locations are different on each side. The mounts will only work on the proper sides. Mount them on the engine accordingly. When installing the engine, the bolts and pins should drop through the matching holes and slots. With that done, your engine should be slightly off to the PS as already mentioned. For the transmission mount, the Gen 3 Coupe uses a mounting plate that has multiple orientations depending on your engine/trans combination. The instructions are a bit confusing, to be honest. Turn it end-for-end and flip over however necessary for the Energy Suspension trans mount to align with the mounting slots. In the right location, the trans will also be over to the PS and the tailshaft pointing at the U-joint flange on the diff. If your engine/trans line isn't parallel with the chassis front-to-back, you have something mounted incorrectly.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Paul said, try flipping the trans mount around, others have seen same issue when installed per the manual with a 302. I also had to lengthen the trans crossmember holes slightly to get it to fit properly (w/ TKO). Also make sure your engine mounts are seated properly on the block. I know the Dart blocks have webbing that interfere with the supplied mounts that require some massaging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to tell much from your picture. Blurry and not the best perspective. Assuming the front to back location is correct, does appear though for your engine/trans combination that cross piece is going to have to come out for that shifter location. People have moved the shifter around on the T-5 by fitting an S-10 tailshaft. But that's something you probably wouldn't want to pursue at this point.

For the engine offset, strongly encourage that you think in terms of getting it properly assembled versus there being something wrong with the chassis or chassis mounts. Anything's possible of course. But I highly doubt that's the issue. I'm assuming you have the kit provided Energy Suspension SBF motor and transmission mounts? It's been been a few years since I used those, but I don't recall left or right being marked on the motor mounts. But it should be pretty obvious. Look at the motor mounts and look at the mount locations in the chassis. The bolt and guide pin locations are different on each side. The mounts will only work on the proper sides. Mount them on the engine accordingly. When installing the engine, the bolts and pins should drop through the matching holes and slots. With that done, your engine should be slightly off to the PS as already mentioned. For the transmission mount, the Gen 3 Coupe uses a mounting plate that has multiple orientations depending on your engine/trans combination. The instructions are a bit confusing, to be honest. Turn it end-for-end and flip over however necessary for the Energy Suspension trans mount to align with the mounting slots. In the right location, the trans will also be over to the PS and the tailshaft pointing at the U-joint flange on the diff. If your engine/trans line isn't parallel with the chassis front-to-back, you have something mounted incorrectly.
    i think i will try to loosing mounts on block to see it that will give little wiggle room if not i will take off and enlarge holes where the bolt to block to get little more play i guess i will just cut cross member in tunnel to fit shifter
    i order kit to fit 302 with t5 so i assumed all would be good .
    thanks for input

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Paul I have not ever seen the Energy Suspension mounts labeled as drivers or passenger side but it's easy enough to check to make sure that you don't have them swapped---they'll bolt on to the engine either way but of course only one way is correct. The drivers side mount will have the pin below the stud and the passenger side will have the pin rearward of the stud.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    i think i will try to loosing mounts on block to see it that will give little wiggle room if not i will take off and enlarge holes where the bolt to block to get little more play.
    Shouldn't be necessary to cut, trim, enlarge, whatever to get the engine where it's supposed to be. You haven't responded to the suggestions about making sure the mounts are on the right sides, sitting in the mounts correctly, the rear transmission mount is installed correctly, etc. Cutting metal should always be the last resort and more often than not problems like these are because of an assembly error of some kind. Builders don't want to hear that, but it's been my personal experience plus while observing others. Good luck and hope you get it resolved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn't be necessary to cut, trim, enlarge, whatever to get the engine where it's supposed to be. You haven't responded to the suggestions about making sure the mounts are on the right sides, sitting in the mounts correctly, the rear transmission mount is installed correctly, etc. Cutting metal should always be the last resort and more often than not problems like these are because of an assembly error of some kind. Builders don't want to hear that, but it's been my personal experience plus while observing others. Good luck and hope you get it resolved.
    i will check but i dont think mounts can go on wrong side and still line up with mounts since there is a pin that lines up with bolt that are different on left and rights,i thank you for the suggestion
    20180124_165842.jpg20180124_165836.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    had to cut brace no big deal problem was in motor mounts i just elongated holes where the bolt to block since the was zero play before
    20200127_175430.jpg20200127_175457.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    had to cut brace no big deal problem was in motor mounts i just elongated holes where the bolt to block since the was zero play before
    20200127_175430.jpg20200127_175457.jpg
    That looks like mine, think your good, mine lined up with the rear so I am assuming I am in the right position, used stock convertible mounts and had no issues