Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trunk mounted electronics and LS3 crate motor

Post Thanks / Like

Trunk mounted electronics and LS3 crate motor

I hope this is the right place for this question as it kind of crosses with the engine forum.

The LS3 connect and cruise package is what I have settled on for power. My question is in regards to the wiring and placing as much as I can in the trunk vs. under the dash.

LS3 fuse block and Autowire Highway 22 harness fuse block: I would like to keep the electrical system as clean/simple as possible. The LS3 comes with it's own fuse box for the engine controls, but I will already have a 22 circuit fuse block with the Autowire kit. Can the LS3 fuse block be deleted by extending the wiring (same gauge) direct to the Autowire block, or would it be best to keep the two separate? If it is best to keep the out of the box configuration, can the LS3 fuse block and ECM wires be extended to the truck without issue?

FF harnesses: As I understand it, the kit comes 4 harnesses. Main, front, dash and rear. After contemplating not using the supplied FF harnesses I thought maybe it would be best to keep them solely for the connectors like the steering column. What are your thoughts considering I will be using the Autowire kit? If I do not need it, is there a deletion credit from FFR?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the LS3 connect and cruise package too. Not familiar with the Autowire kit.
    I used the FF Ron Francis wiring and fuse box along with the GM fuse box and wiring for the engine and tranny.
    IIRC the GM wiring is long enough so you could mount it in the trunk or maybe under one of the seats.
    I have everything under the dash, if I had to do it again I'd remote mount as much as I could.
    Last edited by JimLev; 03-02-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the supplied main harness and put the computers under dash. Not a lot of room with an evaporator, but it works. Easiest motor install ever.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for responding. I guess my main question is can I extend the wires from the ECM and LS3 fuse box so they can be placed in the trunk, assuming the are not long enough? Not so worried about the fuse box assuming I use the same gauge wire, but more how/if this might affect the ECM?

Guess my wish for the 6L80 6 speed is out the window per FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    With my wiring harness length I could’ve easily put it in the trunk. The package tight under dash, but there was enough room.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    I also am using the LS3 with a 4L70E transmission. I thought about the trunk location but that is a lot of wire to get from the front to the rear of the car. I know several have run their wiring under the car but I had nightmares every time I thought about it. I ran the rear harness, the trans. , back up camera, and back up light wiring in the console and it was REAL crowded. Maybe an Infinity Box System??
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.