Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
Jeff & Adam

What do you guys think about running Nitto 555-R's on all four corners?

Would the side walls be too squishy?

TerribleSteve
I autocrossed a friend's Mk4 with 555R on all 4 corners---terrible! The tread stuck to the pavement but the car moved all around on the squirmy sidewalls. You'd give it a steering input then have to wait for the tire to quit moving around and take a set.

Adam, until someone mixes up the proper amount of fairy dust, unicorn tears and carbon black to create a magic compound all tires will be a compromise. You want longevity &/or inclement weather performance you'll have to give up dry weather traction and vice versa. You have to decide what your priorities are and what you're willing to give up. You say that "I want it to be able to grip under very hard acceleration but also grip around corners" and state that you don't care about longevity. In that case one of the R-Comps will probably come closest to delivering the performance you're after but you'd have to understand that they will not do well in cool or wet.

Now my disclaimer: If you're exceeding the capabilities of any of the 200 treadwear tires on the street you're doing some stupid $hit that you shouldn't be doing to begin with...get on a track.

Jeff