Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Frame Mods to Type 65 Coupe

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input and compliments, guys; they are much appreciated.

Bob, I may have the dead pedal back too far. I imagine I could make something that bolts to the existing dead pedal if that's the case. I'm 5' 10 1/2," with longer legs for that height. We'll see how it shakes out.
    As for the ideas, I've just been following the designs that David B. posted on his MKIV build thread, as well as suggestions from Gordon L. and Hank L. I know computers and software like most people know cars - I can turn it on and use it, but have only a dim understanding of how it works! So, I can't take credit for any computer analysis - that belongs to David B.

Fitting the tubes was tricky, especially at an angle. It required a combination of taking my time, thinking through what I was doing, and constantly checking the fit to see where material had to be removed. I did more trial and error than someone who does this for a living. A good notcher - a JD Squared Notchmaster, was very helpful. It's also worth mentioning that the Notchmaster works on flat stock (like my dead pedal), while the entry level notchers apparently only allow you to notch tubing.

As for the weight, I'm really not sure how it will pan out. Hopefully the added stiffness, which may or may not even be needed, will be worth the weight penalty. I know from assembling racing bicycles that you can start out with a 4lb carbon fiber frame and end up with a 20 pound bike if you don't select the parts with care, and this is no different. The car will be a street-legal track car, so some weight will be omitted - heater, A/C, carpet, etc. I think I'm getting to the saturation point with weight and am thinking about remaking the driveshaft loop, and perhaps a few other parts, out of aluminum.

Brian, I considered whether those lower bars would limit my turning radius and I imagine that they will. My understanding is that I can add "rack limiters" to the steering rack to address that. I don't recall seeing adjustable bump-stops on any spindles, so I don't think I can rely on that. We'll see. It's certainly a situation where I'm "assuming the risk."

I'll post pictures upon more progress. Thanks for checking it out.
    Last edited by Jacob McCrea; 02-12-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Typo