Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Front license plates

Post Thanks / Like

Front license plates

Here in Texas, they are "required", yet I see none of hot rods here have one, and my son removed his from his daily driver over a year ago and hasn't been stopped.

So I'm wondering if it's just something rarely watched by cops here. I saw that Ohio just joined the 19 states that don't need them.

Being fenderless the only place for me would be on the grill (or behind it which might be ok).

I guess I don't really have a question,except how many people have mounted them, and how many without have ever been stopped?

Reminds me of the "no Sir, it's regulation height, you can check it if you want"...
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Being in Louisiana, we don’t have that requirement. But, we do have inspection stickers. And I just HATE that thing on the windshield of my mk4. So, I keep the sticker in the door pocket (much like a motorcycle is required to do). In 6 years, I have not been stopped for the lack of sticker. Cops have commented when chatting, and I offeered to show them, and they denied the need. So I quit getting it lol.

I suspect that, other than a couple out there who might pull you over for that, most probably wouldn’t target you over that. They may tack it on to any other ticket you might be getting for doing something else.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

3. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leave it in in trunk with some zip ties
    '33 Hot Rod Gen 2 Roadster #1209, 33 Grill, 3-Link Rear Suspension, Leather Roadster Seats, Electric Assist Steering, Rear Exhaust, 2 Piece FFR Bonneville Wheels (18x9/20x11) Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires (255/45/R18 and 305/35/R20), '69 Ford 351w (Stroked to 393. All Forged), AOD, 8.8 31 Spline Rear with Trac-Lok, QA1 PromaStars (Front 9" 220lb/Rear 12" 200lb Springs).

5. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Virginia requires. Speeding is illegal too.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

7. Likes shmelty, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Texas and have run without front plates for years. It's pretty rare, but I have been stopped for it (but never ticketed)- the state troopers are the ones most likely to get you for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, that's what I thought. I often think far too much about "legal" rather than "who cares". I feel guilty everytime I drive my go-kart 1/4 mile

Except for speeding for some reason, I rarely think about that
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

10. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shmelty View Post
    Leave it in in trunk with some zip ties
    Bingo! Mine has been riding in the trunk with zip ties for 18 years.
    I guess I have a spare now that Ohio changed our front plate law.

Post Thanks / Like
    South Dakota has a single plate option available for special interest cars, the only catch is you can't drive more that 6K miles a year and you have to report your mileage at every renewal period. I did this on my C6 vette many years ago.