Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kill switch placement

Post Thanks / Like

Kill switch placement

Hi all,

Just fishing for ideas where I should install my kill switch.
    For me it's something that I turn off at end of driving season and when doing electrical maintenance or when needed.
    it's not a question of safefy around a race track or something like that.
    Pictures are more than welcome.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tia,

Some put it under the hood, but I've also seen it on the small slanted panel between the two seats.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    One other potential option to consider is one of these (Battery Brain) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sms-t3-12v and eliminate the switch entirely.

It's super simple to install— you just mount it on your + battery post and connect the other side to your battery cable. The remote also acts as an easy-to-use theft deterrent, plus it will automatically switch the battery off if it drains below a certain level.

I have one on mine and love it so far.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 10-14-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're talking about the battery power disconnect FFR sends with your kit -- put it in the same place that any of your factory built cars have put one. What's that, no car you ever owned had one of these? Then why would you want to add complexity to your build and one more point of failure?

Unless you need to comply with a racing sanctioning body rule that switch is superfluous. Those switches are usually required in racing so that track workers can turn off the power if you crash and each sanctioning body has a different place they require them to be mounted, usually no where near where the drive can reach them.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    If your battery is trunk mounted, the rear slanted panel on the tranny cover, is a good a spot as any.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is where I located mine. It was wired to (hopefully) kill the engine if running by shutting down the alternator, which I have not tried yet. In any event, the location works well with a battery up front. Power is run up along the chassis and into the footbox, passes through the switch, and on from there. I had to bond a piece of .125 aluminum to the back of the dash to make it stiff enough for this heavy switch (a Longacre product). Hope this helps.

Finished Dash 1.JPG