Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Ideas to make to hood pop up when the latch is released

Post Thanks / Like

Ideas to make to hood pop up when the latch is released

I need my hood to pop up a bit when the latch is released. The latch alone doesn’t quite have enough umph. Anyone wind the spring up tighter in it maybe? Any ideas? I could use auto hood springs I guess but was hoping for something cleaner. Maybe I could put them on the hood so they aren’t in broad view when it’s opened.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like

3. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Likes Svtfreak, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I need the same thing. Was thinking of something along what narly posted - door popper. Haven't tried it yet but was worried that if it wasn't on the centerline it would distort the hood and affect fit/alignment

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man that’s perfect! I’m going to email them to ask how much pressure the exert.

Steve, I was worried about the with springs also. I want one on each side as close as I can get to the latch. That will help minimize that. And I can change the curvature of my hood at the back if need be with my brace. And, lastly, a strip of sheet metal bonded to the glass could help also if it comes to that.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

6. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used these and they work great. You can get them on Amazon, 4 for $13.00. They have all lengths and sizes. I liked the way they mount. Ray

uxcell Plunger Latches Spring-loaded Stainless Steel 7mm Dia Head 6mm Dia Spring 70mm Total Length, 4pcs

8. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Likes Svtfreak, wrp, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found some small conical springs at my local True Value and mounted them to the top of the grille casting. I but a small rubber button in the top of the spring so it doesn't mar the paint.

10. Thanks Svtfreak thanked for this post
    Likes Svtfreak, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was in the hardware store this morning picking up a new handle for a bi-fold closet door and I ran across these. I bought a couple packs (one pair for the hood, one for the trunk)...... $2.29 a pack.

Opened the package up when I got home and I think these are going to work out great, the tension is fairly firm.....I'll let you know after I install them this weekend. The nice thing is the plunger stops at the same height as the rubber bumpers on the cowl.

After I thought about it more, these are the same ones we have in our bi-fold closet doors now, and we've lived in our house for 13 years and never had an issue. I figure if they can stand up to the abuse of multiple openings a day, and kids slamming them, they should stand up in the application as a hood / trunk pop assist.

Just a thought for folks looking for a solution.

Jim

fullsizeoutput_49.jpeg

12. Likes wrp, narly1, JimLev, FF33rod, Mrallsport32, j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The plungers from component hardware aren’t going to work. Not enough tension on them. They sure are pretty though. Jim, I’m going to stop and check those out at Lowe’s one day. That could be the ticket also. I made it work right with some springs the other day playing but they didn’t collapse within themselves to be flatter. But the hood popped. So proof of concept is working. Just need the tension so I can set the height. Probably slot the latch mount in the firewall to set that.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    The plungers from component hardware aren’t going to work. Not enough tension on them. They sure are pretty though. Jim, I’m going to stop and check those out at Lowe’s one day. That could be the ticket also. I made it work right with some springs the other day playing but they didn’t collapse within themselves to be flatter. But the hood popped. So proof of concept is working. Just need the tension so I can set the height. Probably slot the latch mount in the firewall to set that.
    I'll take pics this weekend, I modified (cut off the knob above the washer) on the bi-fold door poppers and installed one on each side of the latch ~2" from the latch on each side. I can now hear the latch having much better release (a definite pop) verses just a click like i was getting before and the hood does pop up ~1/8" by the latch.

I think These may work but I still need to fit my hood a little better yet since it's tight where the side panel fits to the cowl so I need to sand a bit to eliminate the binding and then see if the hood pops more. Worse case I may add two more of these bi-fold door poppers (one on each side) towards the out side of the cowl by the cut outs in the cowl so the hood lifts evenly verses just by the latch.

Making progress and sorry about no updates on this, work was crazy busy this week. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Do they make a model with a 200-lb, 200-yd capacity that will fit under the passenger seat? Asking for a friend.
    FFR7859 - graduated 5/16/16; '11 Mustang 5.0 'vert; '93 Mustang Notch; '98 F150; 4760 build website; FFR-3144 rebuild

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I did....

1st off I cut the knub off since with the knub it was slightly higher than the rubber bumpers
    fullsizeoutput_49.jpeg

20210124_102506.jpg

I started off by drilling 3/8" holes for the two by the latch and installed those, and like I noted above I put one on each side of the latch ~2" from the latch on each side. With that I could finally hear the latch having much better release (heard a definite pop) verses just a click like i was getting before I put the springs in and the hood does pop up ~1/8" by the latch now.

20210124_101727.jpg

I felt I wanted a bit more hood movement though so I added two more towards the outside which now besides hearing the hood unlatch the whole hood lifts about 1/4" which while I'd like more, I think it falls into the good enough category and definitely 10 times better than it was with nothing. I also still need to do a little sanding on the edges of the hood since I'm hearing the hood scrap a bit. My guess is if I get rid of that I may get more lift too.

Here is where I ended up with all 4 springs.

fullsizeoutput_4c.jpeg

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 01-24-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Svtfreak View Post
    I need my hood to pop up a bit when the latch is released. The latch alone doesn’t quite have enough umph. Anyone wind the spring up tighter in it maybe? Any ideas? I could use auto hood springs I guess but was hoping for something cleaner. Maybe I could put them on the hood so they aren’t in broad view when it’s opened.
    Try a search for "spring plungers" https://www.jwwinco.com/en-us/produc...ess-Steel-Nose. I have one of these that sits under the latch pin of my 37 and lifts the hood just enough when you pop the latch. Used to be a real pain until I took the latch apart and figured out the bolt/pin was spring-loaded. Scott

IMG_0258.jpg
    Last edited by johnnybgoode; 01-24-2021 at 02:39 PM.
    FFR #3870 MK II, Spectra Blue/Arctic White, 1974 414W, 10:1, Eagle 4340 crank and rods, KB Pistons, Ported Performer RPM 2.02 heads & intake, QFT SS-650, Comp XR282HR, Quality Roadsters pan, Crane ignition, TKO600, 3.55 gears, 3 link, SA QA1's, Breeze LCA's, Heim joints & VPM F/R bars, Power steering with Hiedts valve, Power brakes, Fortes bump steer kit, 5 bolt axels, SSBC rear brakes, Oil cooler, Pusher fans, Halibrand Cobra III's with Nitto NT555 G2 245/285/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Great ideas, and I like the fact that the jwwinco gives the spring rate.

I have an idea after really looking at the hinges. I may be able to use springs there to lift it up, maybe even keep it lifted with no prop rod. At least partially. I ran across some springs looking for those bifold door plungers. The only ones I found had a really weird body and end. I’m going to try those springs out and if I can make it work, pass it on to y’all.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone attempted linear actuators on their hood or trunk hinges?
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster