FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: anybody know what brand gear sets come in the Moser 8.8 that FFR sells?

Post Thanks / Like

anybody know what brand gear sets come in the Moser 8.8 that FFR sells?

Hey, does anybody happen to know whose ring and pinion are installed in the Moser 8.8 that comes from FFR?
    Just go karted the hot rod and it is immediately apparent that a gear swap is going to be required. It has a 3.23 in it and I want to go with a 3.73. Would really prefer to stick with the same manufacturer to minimize set up difficulties as I have only done that job once before. Hoping it is Ford Performance as they seem to be pretty consistent and are reasonably priced. It does have the Ford Trac-Loc carrier in it (at least it looks like it).
    I realize that FFR is probably the best source to ask but I bought the kit second hand and don't have any contacts there. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    This came with my 8.8 from Moser/FFR when I got mine July of 2018. Rear end is still on jack stands

00D0A174-6BF8-4941-B6C6-E348A00D9C05.jpg

I’ve got all the paperwork that came with it.
    I can scan and email it to you if you want

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

3. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You realize that you will be using a new pinion and ring gear, right? Use whatever brand you like. But be advised that you will need some special tools (and skill) to correctly set-up the 8.8 so take inventory of your tools and skill before committing to this project. You may find its easier to simply take the axle to a Ford dealer, race shop, or off-road shop that has the equipment and experience.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...HTM-4209-8.PDF
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Went ahead and used a new set from Ford Racing. Reused the existing pinion shim and got a good pattern on the first try - just had to fine tune the back lash a little. Felt really lucky because that job wore this old man out! Left the axle installed so working in the tight confines under the car made it that much more challenging. Almost pulled the car off the jack stands trying to compress the new crush sleeve for the pinion nut. Had to strap the car down to the lift with ratchet straps to reach final torque.
    A short test drive and all feels/sounds good although 1st gear is still a little on the tall side and I still get a little clutch chatter. Getting stuck in heavy traffic will not be much fun.

6. Likes NAZ, SSNK4US liked this post