Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transmission Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Transmission Cooler

A few years ago I built a 34 Ford. 700R4 Tranny and a 383 Stroker. I installed a 15" duel pass finned tranny cooler. I use the car all the time and to this point have not had any problems withe the tranny over heating. For a daily driver anyone see any problems putting this on my truck with the same engine and tranny configuration?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The choice of torque converter is the most significant factor in how much heat the trans will generate. If you use a tight converter with a lock-up clutch it will not generate near as much heat as a loose converter and no lock-up clutch. I use a very loose converter in my Powerglide that requires a 125,000 BTU/hr cooler: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-65860 where a garden variety stock V-8 of that era rocking a 1800 RPM stall converter would not even require a cooler.

If you use the same combo that you had before and it worked then I see no reason why that wouldn't work in your FFR truck, but your converter manufacturer can tell you for sure. If you use a cooler, pick a stacked plate version as they are more efficient than those tube and fin types. And with the aftermarket lock-up controls we have now, there's no reason not to run a lock-up converter in a 700R4 in a street car.

Good luck with your build.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build