Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
You going to do some road testing before teardown for paint? I am really curious about the operation of the 6R80 and controlling the sport mode with the Lokar shifter.
I am in the body work phase now on my build but I have yet to fire the engine. Two years or so away from first start.
Alan, I did a bit of that already. If you look back, I swapped from the stock converter to a 3400 from yank. The only 2 problems I had was it pushed through the converter on the brakes. Bigger brakes will probably help, butt he standard FFR ones are just too small. Did a whole lot of troubleshooting before I tried that. Now, it stops and holds stop just fine. It’s just too light for the factory converter, at least with the small brakes. If I was staking with these, I would go up to 36-3800, but I’ll be putting the huge ones on for final build. Secondly, with the VERY low 1st in the 6r80, and 3.55’s, the throttle off idle is VERY touchy. Initially, the tuner was hesitant to touch that. “We’ve never had to do that”. “You ever tune a 1900lb car with a supercharged setup?” “No”. Well, I finally got them to slow the throttle off idle a bit and it made a huge difference. So, my brother has learned how to tune these. How and why is a long story, but he’s better than most tuners out there. He’s done his own 19 mustang with a whipple. So, anyway, for the final tune, him and I are going to do it and slow it down a touch more. Combined with taller rear tires when I get them, it will smooth some of that touchiness out. You can also go taller in the rear gear, which I will probably do also. Maybe up to 3.27 or even 3.08’s. The only downside is, lookout. Cause at some point you have to ramp that slow initial throttle in, and at that point, things might get interesting.

As far as sport mode, the gen 2 controls pack (the only thing I’ve messed with so this may not be true for any other version) doesn’t have a true sports mode. It has the manual shift ability, but it doesn’t stay in manual. I have it set up on the lokar so that you can downshift and upshift. But, after about 10 seconds or so, the ecu takes over again. FRPP says that the full sport mode functions are not included in the controls pack ecu. Keith (prgmgr) was trying to make that part work but he hasn’t said if it does or not yet.

If you’d like to talk in person more, you’re more than welcome to call me one day. I’ve helped a couple guys get the 6r80 going on there’s and really don’t mind.