BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A/C Compressor Swap Due to Serpentine Belt Conversion

Post Thanks / Like

A/C Compressor Swap Due to Serpentine Belt Conversion

I need to swap out my existing v-belt driven A/C compressor (Sanden SD5H14/Model S6668 - Vintage Air) with a unit that has a serpentine 8 rib pulley due to my conversion to a serpentine belt system. Swapping out the clutch/pulley is not an option, as the existing compressor has seen better days (exhibits a vibration when the clutch is engaged). Thus, I've got two questions for our resident A/C experts out there:

1. Will this A/C compressor (Bous Serpentine Belt Sanden 508 Style A/C Air Conditioning Compressor Raw D32103) from eBay work as a viable replacement?
    2. My existing A/C compressor uses SP-20 oil. The compressor listed in the previous bullet point states it needs to be filled with PAG oil but does not specifically state the exact viscosity. Will "universal" oil work, should I continue to use SP-20, or should I use what the tag says on the new compressor once I get it?

Appreciate your help!
    "Rosie" is a MK1 with Ford Racing 306 Crate Motor, AOD Transmission, and 3:55 Posi Rear End. "She's a whole lotta woman - she's a whole lotta Rosie." - AC/DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Sp-20 is equivalent to PAG 100. Works for most Sanden compressors. It is a medium weight PAG oil. As far as is the 508 a replacement for your existing compressor, I don't know. I would call Sanden and ask what is and explain what you're doing. Mounting is the problem unless you're replacing the whole drive system.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    Sp-20 is equivalent to PAG 100. Works for most Sanden compressors. It is a medium weight PAG oil. As far as is the 508 a replacement for your existing compressor, I don't know. I would call Sanden and ask what is and explain what you're doing. Mounting is the problem unless you're replacing the whole drive system.
    Appreciate the oil reference - thanks!

Mounting location is not a problem, since I am replacing the entire drive system and both compressors are the "508" style which are physically identical including mounting points and hose connections. To my knowledge, Sanden does not offer an identical compressor to the one I have now with an 8 rib pulley/clutch, thus me going to other sources. Another option is getting an identical compressor from Sanden, purchasing an aftermarket 8 rib pulley and clutch, and pressing it on - which I would prefer not to do but will if I have to.
    "Rosie" is a MK1 with Ford Racing 306 Crate Motor, AOD Transmission, and 3:55 Posi Rear End. "She's a whole lotta woman - she's a whole lotta Rosie." - AC/DC

Post Thanks / Like
    If they are both 508 style you should be good.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    If they are both 508 style you should be good.
    Excellent - thanks again!