BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: MC to reservoir hoses (solved)

Post Thanks / Like

MC to reservoir hoses (solved)

I have a quick question. My kit came with black 1/4" hoses to connect the master cylinders to the brake and clutch reservoirs. I went in for the safety inspection today and the tech said they were Gates plant 250 hoses, which are not rated for brake fluid and need to be replaced.
    The manual shows red hoses, but I never thought twice about things. I called the tech back and he said the red hoses are rated for brake fluid, but not the black.
    So, did I get incorrect hoses with my kit or is the tech mistaken? When I pull up the technical specs, they say they are made of EPDM-P, but then say they only offer limited oil resistance. Tech said I should used EPDM hoses, but he does not think these are acceptable.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    JJ

UPDATE: So according to information in the Gates online catalog, Plant Master 250 used to be called Adapta Flex and it is made of EPDM (page 56) and rated as a preferred hose for synthetic based brake fluids (page 232).
    All is good here, nothing to see...
    link attached for reference should curious minds need
    https://assets.gates.com/content/dam...gs-catalog.pdf
    Last edited by JJK; 02-27-2024 at 09:25 PM.
    Mk 4 complete kit w/IRS delivered (mostly) 10-31-22. BPE 347FI w/TXK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJK View Post
    I have a quick question. My kit came with black 1/4" hoses to connect the master cylinders to the brake and clutch reservoirs. I went in for the safety inspection today and the tech said they were Gates plant 250 hoses, which are not rated for brake fluid and need to be replaced.
    The manual shows red hoses, but I never thought twice about things. I called the tech back and he said the red hoses are rated for brake fluid, but not the black.
    So, did I get incorrect hoses with my kit or is the tech mistaken? When I pull up the technical specs, they say they are made of EPDM-P, but then say they only offer limited oil resistance. Tech said I should used EPDM hoses, but he does not think these are acceptable.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    JJ

UPDATE: So according to information in the Gates online catalog, Plant Master 250 used to be called Adapta Flex and it is made of EPDM (page 56) and rated as a preferred hose for synthetic based brake fluids (page 232).
    All is good here, nothing to see...
    link attached for reference should curious minds need
    https://assets.gates.com/content/dam...gs-catalog.pdf
    FWIW My kit delivered 2/17/2014 was shipped with the black hoses. Some time later FFR on their own sent a set of red hoses with instructions to replace the black ones.

Expect they might have been having a issue with the guys cars during state tech inspections. Mine did not have an issue with the state as they don't inspect the kits except for stolen parts in NC.

That said it seemed like a good plan to swap them at the time. During a recent total rebuild of the brakes I did get current rated hoses from Summit racing as I added an additional reservoir.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-28-2024 at 11:41 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    My solution

My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

4. Likes BRRT liked this post