Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Edlebrock Pro Flow 4 EFI fuel pump wiring question

Post Thanks / Like

Edlebrock Pro Flow 4 EFI fuel pump wiring question

Confused about how to wire fuel pump. Edelbrock has 2 wires for fuel pump. One orange (Power) and one tan/white Stripe (ground). I have an in tank Holley Sniper fuel tank that has non terminated red (power) and black (ground) wires. The Ron Frances manual shower to cut and splice into the Fuel Pump Relay Control Wire. If I splice and solder the orange Edelbrock wire into the Fuel Pump Relay Control wire. What to I do with the tan / white stripe (ground) from the Edlebrock harness and the how is the connection to the fuel pump made.
    IMG]https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196316&d=1709237180[/IMG]
    Anyone using Edlebrock Pro Flow Four have a solution?

Thanks
    Ross
    MK4 kit delivered 11-5-2023 Forte’s Ford 302, Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 fuel injection, Tremec TKX transmission mid shift option, 355 ratio rear end, 17”wheels, 2015 Mustang IRS from FFR

2. Likes bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking at the proflow4 for my build. I think this Edlebrock document answers your question on page 4 https://edelbrock-instructions-v1.s3...rock/35930.pdf
    Andrew

4. Likes bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewIdaho View Post
    I am looking at the proflow4 for my build. I think this Edlebrock document answers your question on page 4 https://edelbrock-instructions-v1.s3...rock/35930.pdf
    Andrew
    Thanks Andrew, I have those instructions. My confusion is how does that diagram connect black to the main Ron Frances harness and ignition. You have to excuse me I am not very experienced with wiring.
    MK4 kit delivered 11-5-2023 Forte’s Ford 302, Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 fuel injection, Tremec TKX transmission mid shift option, 355 ratio rear end, 17”wheels, 2015 Mustang IRS from FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah sorry I misunderstood. I agree the RF document is a bit vague on the Fuel pump relay connections. Hopefully someone has some insight and I will follow this thread with interest.

Best Regards, Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running the PF4, has been installed for 3 years now and have about 6000 miles with it. You definitely should also be running a relay switch, see page 4 of the Edelbrock manual for reference. I am trying to recall how I tied into the RF wiring harness it should be pretty straight forward. I don't want to feed you improper info so let me do some research on this and get back to you. One thing I was told and would recommend is when installing make sure and follow the directions exactly how Edelbrock explains it to you. I am also running a CDI box which was recommended.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

8. Thanks Buzzsaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have an old school MK 2 with a donor harness. I have a stand alone relay and the Pro Flow wiring controls the relay, which in turn controls the fuel pump.
    FFR3490 - MK2 Roadster: Yellow with black stripes, mildly built 5.0 with many upgrades/updates to come.

See my build here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...6mVHNS3FsRV76S

10. Thanks Buzzsaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    I am running the PF4, has been installed for 3 years now and have about 6000 miles with it. You definitely should also be running a relay switch, see page 4 of the Edelbrock manual for reference. I am trying to recall how I tied into the RF wiring harness it should be pretty straight forward. I don't want to feed you improper info so let me do some research on this and get back to you. One thing I was told and would recommend is when installing make sure and follow the directions exactly how Edelbrock explains it to you. I am also running a CDI box which was recommended.
    Thanks Fman, so if I am reading your post correctly, you followed the Edelbrock instruction and not the Ron Frances manual. The only way I see the Edelbrock tying into the Russ Frances harness is at the ignition based on the Edelbrock instructions. Like I stated earlier I am a novice at wiring so ant help is greatly appreciated!
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrmotorsports55 View Post
    I have an old school MK 2 with a donor harness. I have a stand alone relay and the Pro Flow wiring controls the relay, which in turn controls the fuel pump.
    Thanks Jrmotorspoerts, looks like the correct path is to follow Edelbrock instructions. I appreciate your help!
    Ross

13. Thanks Jrmotorsports55 thanked for this post
    Likes Jrmotorsports55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Buzzsaw,

You are about 9mo ahead of me as I plan to order my Roadster in the late summer when I retire. I have analyzed the RF document and I think you can use the RF harness. I have a pdf of a sketch of my analysis. Since I am a newbie, I am not sure I have the ability to post the document. If you PM me with your email, I can send it for you to share with the forum and have my analysis reviewed.

Best Regards, Andrew

15. Thanks Buzzsaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Thanks Fman, so if I am reading your post correctly, you followed the Edelbrock instruction and not the Ron Frances manual. The only way I see the Edelbrock tying into the Russ Frances harness is at the ignition based on the Edelbrock instructions. Like I stated earlier I am a novice at wiring so ant help is greatly appreciated!
    Ross
    After reading my notes and looking at the Edelbrock manual you will just wire the fuel pump directly from the relay switch, this will have nothing to do with the RF wiring harness (See page 17 of the Edelbrock manual wiring fuel pump w/relay). Make sure and also use the Bosch heavy duty relay switch that is recommended by Edelbrock. Your keyed 12v ignition source is what will come from the RF wiring harness (reference page 16 #24/#25 in the wiring harness). I also put my 15 amp inline fuse accessible under the hood, it is nice to be able to remove it to prime your engine when doing oil changes. Also make sure all your grounds are solid. Remember ALL power and ground leads come directly from the battery, do not wire from anywhere else.

Hope this helps you out... let me know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by Fman; 03-01-2024 at 10:09 AM.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to do this soon as well. My approach was to have the Pro-Flo decide when to turn the fuel pump On/Off (via signal to the relay), but provide the high current power to the relay thru the RF harness. I think this is essentially what Fman did

I also like the fuse idea!

Craig C

Off topic: I'd like for the RF harness to process an independent Coolant Tmptr sensor to be used just for the dash panel guage. Does anyone (maybe FMan) have a recommendation on the correct Coolant Tmptr sensor for this purpose?

18. Thanks Buzzsaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2Arider View Post
    I was going to do this soon as well. My approach was to have the Pro-Flo decide when to turn the fuel pump On/Off (via signal to the relay), but provide the high current power to the relay thru the RF harness. I think this is essentially what Fman did

I also like the fuse idea!

Craig C

Off topic: I'd like for the RF harness to process an independent Coolant Tmptr sensor to be used just for the dash panel guage. Does anyone (maybe FMan) have a recommendation on the correct Coolant Tmptr sensor for this purpose?
    I just used the Speedhut sensor off the manifold for my water temp gauge. One other nice feature about the PF4 is it allows for two separate fan settings. I ended up using terminal #2 for a temp warning light on the dash, it can be set to come on at any desired temp.

20. Likes cc2Arider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Travis! I never actually unpacked my Dash Panel Gauge box. I had just admired the gauge faces before and never actually pulled them out of the box to see much more content inside the box!

This saves a lot of work that I thought I'd have to do on my own

Craig C

Post Thanks / Like
    I have your same exact setup (pump, EFI, RF harnass and relays). THis is from memory and it's been ~ 1 year since I wired my car, but my recollection is that the brown/tan wire is a switched ground from the EFI, and I tied that into the fuel pump relay (ground) in the RF fuse box. Hot from the EFI can be terminated, its just a keyed 12v like many others, doesn't modulate. Wire the pump to the RF harnass and include the inertia switch somewhere as well (I have it on the chassis ground side of the pump, mounted inside the trunk on the wall).
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    Mk4 Roadster complete kit Chassis F5R1010480RD
    Ordered Dec 2021, Delivered Sept 2022, First start Mar 2023
    Completed October 2023
    IRS, Wilwood, 17" wheels, Forte 427W/TKX/EdelbrockEFI

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Alec suggestion is consistent with my analysis. ProposePro4FlowWiring.jpg

I attached a jpeg - hopefully it takes

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading my notes and looking at the Edelbrock manual you will just wire the fuel pump directly from the relay switch, this will have nothing to do with the RF wiring harness (See page 17 of the Edelbrock manual wiring fuel pump w/relay). Make sure and also use the Bosch heavy duty relay switch that is recommended by Edelbrock. Your keyed 12v ignition source is what will come from the RF wiring harness (reference page 16 #24/#25 in the wiring harness). I also put my 15 amp inline fuse accessible under the hood, it is nice to be able to remove it to prime your engine when doing oil changes. Also make sure all your grounds are solid. Remember ALL power and ground leads come directly from the battery, do not wire from anywhere else.

Thanks so much Fman,
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much Fman, do you have the inertia switch in your wiring?
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    I have your same exact setup (pump, EFI, RF harnass and relays). THis is from memory and it's been ~ 1 year since I wired my car, but my recollection is that the brown/tan wire is a switched ground from the EFI, and I tied that into the fuel pump relay (ground) in the RF fuse box. Hot from the EFI can be terminated, its just a keyed 12v like many others, doesn't modulate. Wire the pump to the RF harnass and include the inertia switch somewhere as well (I have it on the chassis ground side of the pump, mounted inside the trunk on the wall).
    Thanks Alec, so I am back to two ways to skin this cat!

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Alec suggestion is consistent with my analysis. ProposePro4FlowWiring.jpg

I attached a jpeg - hopefully it takes

Andrew
    Andrew, I may be a head you you on building my roadster but you are miles ahead in understanding wiring!
    Ross

Yeah as a relative “newbie” I struggle loading pictures to this site. Somrtimes they work sometimes they don’t.
    Ross

28. Thanks AndrewIdaho thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ross,

Thanks for the kind response. Do you have a build thread as I would like to follow along? I am curious how the Tremec midshift option is going to work as I am considering it as well when I order my engine package.

Best Regards, Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Ross,

Thanks for the kind response. Do you have a build thread as I would like to follow along? I am curious how the Tremec midshift option is going to work as I am considering it as well when I order my engine package.

Best Regards, Andrew
    Andrew, I did the TKX midshift in mine, feel free to reach out. -Rob
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Ordered 11/14/21, Build School 5/20/22, Delivered 8/22/22, Engine/Transmission Delivered 3/27/23, Installed 9/3/23, First Start 2/14/24
    347FI/TKX/IRS "Street Look"-no hoodscoop or rollbar, undercar exhaust
    Build Thread

31. Thanks AndrewIdaho thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ross,

Best Regards, Andrew
    Hi Andrew,
    No I don’t have a build thread, but you can always PM me I will respond. The mid shift option cost about $450 and I believe you have to cut out one of the tranny tunnel braces to be able to shift. I was surprised by the extra cost for the mid shift but I think it will be worth it although not a traditional set up.

33. Thanks AndrewIdaho thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Ross and Rob,

Thanks for the offers of help. I have sent each of you a PM.

Best Regards, Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robmccon View Post
    Andrew, I did the TKX midshift in mine, feel free to reach out. -Rob
    Rob, did you have to cut a tranny tunnel brace to be able to shift?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Rob, did you have to cut a tranny tunnel brace to be able to shift?
    Ross, I did, here's a picture:
    midshift.JPG
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Ordered 11/14/21, Build School 5/20/22, Delivered 8/22/22, Engine/Transmission Delivered 3/27/23, Installed 9/3/23, First Start 2/14/24
    347FI/TKX/IRS "Street Look"-no hoodscoop or rollbar, undercar exhaust
    Build Thread

37. Thanks AndrewIdaho thanked for this post