Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Installing Transmission

Post Thanks / Like

Installing Transmission

I installed my 302 engine my MK4 roadster along with a pair of shorty headers. They didn't fit. So I have ordered a set of Sanderson block hugger headers. Hope to hell they fit. I didn't have the transmission attached to the motor because I just received my 6000 series Tilton release bearing. My question, is it possible to install my TKX transmission while the engine is still in the engine bay? I don't want to remove the engine unless I have to.
    Thank you very much for any insight.
    Cleve

Post Thanks / Like
    not 100% sure, but don't think it's possible w/o cutting the cross member.
    why don't your shorty headers fit? what brand/model did you order? I have a SBF w/ BBK shorties and they fit just fine.

3. Likes bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We tried a Scott Drake Header C5ZZ-9430-SS-SH. It was a short. But they were to big and didn't fit. We now ordered a Sanderson Blockhugger Header FF5-SEC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve View Post
    We tried a Scott Drake Header C5ZZ-9430-SS-SH. It was a short. But they were to big and didn't fit. We now ordered a Sanderson Blockhugger Header FF5-SEC
    Those Scott Drake headers are for a 1964-1970 Mustang so of course they aren't going to fit. The Sanderson header is for a street rod and isn't going to work either. Why aren't you just buying shorty headers for a Fox body Mustang? That's what the kit was designed to use.

And to answer your original question, yes. you can remove the transmission from below with the engine in place.

Jeff

6. Likes bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have removed my trans 3 times with engine in the car .
    Failing 1400 McLeod internal throwout. And once to change my clutch to a dual disc. Because the single disc will not stay behind a 650- 700 hp 427 W.
    It take about an hour to remove trans ,belhousing , clutch and universal. I did it without a lift and I am 80 years old.
    MK4 delivered 8/21/2021 completed 7/2022
    complete kit, IRS, 13" brakes.
    Ford performance 427 Stroker. Engine built by Russell
    Quick time bell housing, .68 Tremec TKX.
    FF5 17" tires and rims.
    Paint and prep by Russell Hall

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Those Scott Drake headers are for a 1964-1970 Mustang so of course they aren't going to fit. The Sanderson header is for a street rod and isn't going to work either. Why aren't you just buying shorty headers for a Fox body Mustang? That's what the kit was designed to use.

Jeff
    And if I recall correctly from build school, when using the Fox Body headrs you reverse them side to side to get the outlet pointing forward to line up with the exhaust outlet on the body. Correct?
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FLPBFoot View Post
    And if I recall correctly from build school, when using the Fox Body headrs you reverse them side to side to get the outlet pointing forward to line up with the exhaust outlet on the body. Correct?
    Correct.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    We see several fox body shorty headers but not sure which one to pick. Could you help me with that? and thanks so much.
    Cleve

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the BBK from back in my 5.0 days. They are high quality and have a slight flat spot on each of the primaries making it easier to fit a socket on the hardware. That is what I bought for my "289 USRRC" car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your answer and I am in the 80 club too, and grew up in Hampton Va.

Post Thanks / Like
    these are what I used
    https://lmr.com/item/BBK-15150/79-93...Shorty-Headers
    had to clearance the flange around #1 to get a socket in there for the spark plug.