Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shifter cable help for my 818

Post Thanks / Like

Shifter cable help for my 818

Afternoon
    I was at the track today and went to shift into gear on my 818R and the shifter cable attachment to my upgraded F5 shifter snapped off at the bottom of the shifter handle.

I appears the cable end is removable and therefore, I hope, replaceable.

What is the thread size/diameter of that rod/end on the shifter cable and if you don’t sell it, where can I get a replacement.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had that happen to me too at Thunderhill raceway. I remember driving all the way home in 3rd gear.

I replaced the broken part with a heim joint and bolt through the bottom of the shifter lever.

Looking at my McMaster Carr order history, it looks like I used a Female Hex Thread Adapter 18-8 SS 1/4-28 to 5/16-24 part# 91072A122 and a Ball Joint Rod End 5/16-24 part# 2458K13.

I can't remember for sure, but I might have trimmed down the length of the heim joint threads and maybe even the cable threads.

I probably got the bolt at Ace Hardware. And again, I can't remember for sure, but I might have tapped the hole at the bottom of the shifter to fit the bolt that fit through the heim joint.

I think I broke the original joint from aggressive shifts. The shifts got more aggressive as the cable action became difficult the point that I almost needed both hands to shift. Cleaning the cables and re-lubing them made it all butter smooth again. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...+shifter+cable
    Last edited by Dave 53; 05-11-2024 at 10:56 PM.