Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Metco saftey loop

Post Thanks / Like

Metco saftey loop

Installed my drive line safety loop today. I only have an 1/8” clearance with the drive shaft. Obviously I need a couple of spacers just wondering how much space is needed. I don’t think the short drive line moves much but would like to know what spacing other member have. Any help would be appreciated.
    Ross.
    MK4 kit delivered 11-5-2023 Forte’s Ford 302, Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 fuel injection, Tremec TKX transmission mid shift option, 355 ratio rear end, 17”wheels, 2015 Mustang IRS from FFR

Post Thanks / Like

Metco Spacers

I think I only added about 1/4" to mine. No issues with clearance. You can see the spacers in the photo below.

Attached Images Attached Images
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

3. Thanks Buzzsaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used grade 8 washers as spacers. I also had to go with longer bolts.

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

5. Thanks Buzzsaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember correctly, I think I went 3/8 inch. Could be 1/2 inch. I would have gone a tad more, but the forward edge of the hoop was rubbing on the brake cables. I beveled that outside edge of the hoop to get rid of the sharp edge. They still touch but not enough to wear on the cables.

There is a small, slight scratch on the drive shaft, so it looks like it may have just barely touched the the inside of the hoop. I'm pretty sure that happened before I added the spacer. It doesn't look to be a problem, since it looks only to be a one time occurrence, and the hoop has a bit of flex, so I don't see it being a problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

7. Thanks Buzzsaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issue. I just used my floor jack, put it under the loop and jacked it up to "bend it" into having proper clearance. Worked like a charm.

9. Thanks Buzzsaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    CDXXVII, JohnK, boat737

Guy thank you so much, you guys crawled under your cars for pictures! Forum people and their support is amazing!

I am also going to have to cut 1/2” off the foreword side of the mounting bracket. The back side of the loop is rubbing my differential side knuckle. I am going to add 1” spacers giving me 1-1/8 inch clearance from to of drive line to bottom of the driveline loop.
    MK4 kit delivered 11-5-2023 Forte’s Ford 302, Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 fuel injection, Tremec TKX transmission mid shift option, 355 ratio rear end, 17”wheels, 2015 Mustang IRS from FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I didn't need any. I suppose there must be a significant height difference between the 302, 351 and Coyote.

MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

12. Thanks Buzzsaw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally I had washers for spacers, but didn't feel comfortable with that solution as I was worried they could move around over time due to vibration. I recently added (2x) 1/4" spacer plates to my Metco safety loop for a total of 0.5". This gives me plenty of clearance around the driveshaft. I have Gen2 Coyote + T56 so I had to make some other modifications to the safety loop for it to center over the driveshaft - basically had to shorten it and extend a few of the slots so I could slide it more towards the transmission. Details in my build thread HERE

Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post
    Looks like I didn't need any. I suppose there must be a significant height difference between the 302, 351 and Coyote.
    In part, it depends on how many shims you have to add to the trans support to get the correct driveline angle. I had to shim it quite a bit to get the driveline angles I wanted, which raised the output shaft of the TKO600 quite a bit.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo_texas View Post
    Originally I had washers for spacers, but didn't feel comfortable with that solution as I was worried they could move around over time due to vibration. I recently added (2x) 1/4" spacer plates to my Metco safety loop for a total of 0.5". This gives me plenty of clearance around the driveshaft. I have Gen2 Coyote + T56 so I had to make some other modifications to the safety loop for it to center over the driveshaft - basically had to shorten it and extend a few of the slots so I could slide it more towards the transmission. Details in my build thread HERE

Thanks dbo_texas, I am going to have to modify the mounting bracket too. Looks like one size does not fit all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah with the super short driveshaft on the Coyote+T56 it put the loop to far towards the rear so part of it was almost overlapping the U-joint vs. the actual cylindrical shaft portion. Modifying it was pretty easy as described in my build thread (Post #172).

For your spacers, you could use washers, or just get some 1" x 1/4" aluminum bar from big box store and cut to length, then drill some holes. I cut mine with a laser cutter because I have access to one, but it is super simple to make one with basic tools.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo_texas View Post

I had this same issue with the TKX sub-frame since the "plate" at the rear is smaller in dimension that FFR's traditional sub-frame for the TKO. Glad to see I'm not the only one that had to trim/modify the drive shaft loop to fit.
    BUILD THREAD: The Brew City Cobra

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to give the final report to the thread I started,
    I made 4 sets of 2” long spacers out of 1” wide 1/4” thick steel.(8 spacers total) and cut off 1/2” from the front side or engine side of the bracket. That put my safety loop right in the middle of the drive shaft with 1-1/4” clearence from top of shaft to bottom of the loop. Thanks to everyone who took the time to take pictures and answer my post. Forum members are the best!

Post Thanks / Like
    So why did you do that? The drive shaft doesn't move up or down, you have IRS.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint